What did you rehang today?

I received a new [eBay] head in the mail today, opened it, and found that a piece of the heal had been broken off in the packaging (yes, the packaging was pretty damaged when it arrived). :mad: I'm a little irritated about this, even though it isn't the worst damage it could have suffered.

broken_tooth.jpg

What's the toe look like? You might have wanted to file that much off the heel just to straighten it out.

Rick put me in touch with Al Mashburn, who has done some welding for Rick in the past, on the idea that it might be fixable. I don’t know how likely I think that is, but why not?

Welding on the bit is problematic. The heat of the weld must alter the temper of the adjoining metal. You can re-heat treat the bit but now you're working with 2 dissimilar metals that require 2 different heat heat methods. There's no way to satisfy them both without some compromise that ends in a less effective heat treat.

Cracks in the eye can easily be welded and the bit protected during the process.

Technically rehung it yesterday, but did this well-used 3lb True Temper Kelly Works Flint Edge double bit for my buddy yesterday. Still took and holds an edge and has enough material on both bits that the head should last as long as he needs it to lol.

4Xp3O6j.jpg

OvhOrQx.jpg

ya8Ynpc.jpg

(I oiled handle after these pics btw.)

What’d I hang today? Answer: a pair of hammers. The smaller is a Plumb, curved claw, weighing about 16 oz., on a 14 inch handle. The larger is a no-name, straight claw, 22 oz., on a 16 inch handle. Both handles are Tennessee Hickory from Hardwick’s. The smaller hammer is going to be a gift for a friend who just bought his first house.

hammers_soaking.jpg

What’d I hang today? Answer: a pair of hammers. The smaller is a Plumb, curved claw, weighing about 16 oz., on a 14 inch handle. The larger is a no-name, straight claw, 22 oz., on a 16 inch handle. Both handles are Tennessee Hickory from Hardwick’s. The smaller hammer is going to be a gift for a friend who just bought his first house.

hammers_soaking.jpg
What a great house warming gift, a hammer.

on the idea that it might be fixable. I don’t know how likely I think that is, but why not?

Aaron,just as a suggestion:Take a close look at the break.Can you see any overt granular surface,with the naked eye?
If so,that means that for whatever reason the original state of that steel was left with an overly large grain-size.
(proper grain-size would appear as a continuous velvety-looking surface,light grey in color;no individual grain facets visible without magnification;for a visual analog break an old/destroyed file of a reputable vintage(wrapped in cloth or leather one end held in a vice it should break easily with a tap of a hand sledge;wear safety goggles for this even if you normally don't).
I suspect that in incorrect granularity is at fault with that axe coupled with that impact it underwent in shipping.I believe that normally a properly heat-treated axe would not readily produce such fracture,a high impact nonwithstanding.

If so,if the grain-size is indeed incorrect,it can be easily corrected in next heat-treatment.That preliminary part of the process is termed Normalising.It isn't difficult to do at all,and if you or your welder-aquaintance will end up welding on that heel,when time comes to HT it we can easily walk them through necessary steps.

Aaron,just as a suggestion:Take a close look at the break.Can you see any overt granular surface,with the naked eye?
If so,that means that for whatever reason the original state of that steel was left with an overly large grain-size.
(proper grain-size would appear as a continuous velvety-looking surface,light grey in color;no individual grain facets visible without magnification;for a visual analog break an old/destroyed file of a reputable vintage(wrapped in cloth or leather one end held in a vice it should break easily with a tap of a hand sledge;wear safety goggles for this even if you normally don't).
I suspect that in incorrect granularity is at fault with that axe coupled with that impact it underwent in shipping.I believe that normally a properly heat-treated axe would not readily produce such fracture,a high impact nonwithstanding.

If so,if the grain-size is indeed incorrect,it can be easily corrected in next heat-treatment.That preliminary part of the process is termed Normalising.It isn't difficult to do at all,and if you or your welder-aquaintance will end up welding on that heel,when time comes to HT it we can easily walk them through necessary steps.

Looking at the steel where it broke off it does look a little grainy to me. Not a lot, but a little. When I talk to Al next I'll broach the topic with him.

I hope the members of this thread will forgive something a little off-topic, but I also think you might be the group to appreciate this.

Reading all of the posts here, seeing all the photos, and hearing all the stories I've gotten really excited about getting some old tools hung. And not just axes, either! I've seen other tools posted here, including some amazing looking hammers, that got me thinking about doing the same. You'll have seen, in a post I made yesterday, that I'm already in the process of hanging a couple of hammers.

A couple of weeks ago when I started thinking about hanging hammers I went into it with the intent of doing a few and picking out one or two that I was really happy with to replace my old Estwing. The whole idea of finding a great, vintage hammer head, and restoring it to use for myself was really exciting, and so I set out to do just that. To that end I started shopping old hammer heads on eBay and bought some new hickory handles from my local store. Subsequently I received some hammer heads in the mail and got to work.

In the course of doing this I had occasion to get out my old Estwing, needing to do some banging about with it, and decided to go ahead and clean it up a little. While I was doing that, sitting there, working on it, turning it over and over in my hands, I got to thinking about all the history I've got with this old hammer.

I can't recall at this point whether I received it as a gift from my parents or bought it myself, but I know that I got it when I was in early high school, about the time I was getting involved in my home town's summer theatre program. I chose Estwing because the one-piece design and the steel neck looked indestructible, and as a teenage boy I would need a tool as indestructible as myself. Over the next few years of high school that hammer sunk a lot of nails and helped me to build a lot of sets, and then it went off to college with me. In college it continued being applied to nails of all sorts, but it also found a new and valuable use. Properly tethered to my belt via a lanyard I would carry it up into scaffolds with me where I learned a trick of using it to pop the cross braces free single-handed (this involved hooking it under the drop-lock, lifting that piece up, and then popping the brace free with a twist of my wrist—otherwise a two-handed operation). With that additional use added to its repertoire it continued to hang at my side for years to come. After college, as I transitioned to a desk job, my hammer saw less and less use. Nonetheless it continued to be one of my most indestructible tools.

It really wasn't until I was on the verge of replacing my Estwing that I got to thinking about all the history I have with it. I've had this hammer for over 25 years, which is more than half of my life. Looking at it I can see a spot of light blue paint on the handle from working on a scaffold that had had spots repainted and not yet dry, and there's grey paint on the underside of the claw from the same use.

At this point I'll happily hang hammers if they come into my life, and I may even keep a few of them, but I won't ever again think in terms of replacing my old Estwing. You can't replace something which is a part of you.

estwing.jpg

I hope the members of this thread will forgive something a little off-topic, but I also think you might be the group to appreciate this.

Reading all of the posts here, seeing all the photos, and hearing all the stories I've gotten really excited about getting some old tools hung. And not just axes, either! I've seen other tools posted here, including some amazing looking hammers, that got me thinking about doing the same. You'll have seen, in a post I made yesterday, that I'm already in the process of hanging a couple of hammers.

A couple of weeks ago when I started thinking about hanging hammers I went into it with the intent of doing a few and picking out one or two that I was really happy with to replace my old Estwing. The whole idea of finding a great, vintage hammer head, and restoring it to use for myself was really exciting, and so I set out to do just that. To that end I started shopping old hammer heads on eBay and bought some new hickory handles from my local store. Subsequently I received some hammer heads in the mail and got to work.

In the course of doing this I had occasion to get out my old Estwing, needing to do some banging about with it, and decided to go ahead and clean it up a little. While I was doing that, sitting there, working on it, turning it over and over in my hands, I got to thinking about all the history I've got with this old hammer.

I can't recall at this point whether I received it as a gift from my parents or bought it myself, but I know that I got it when I was in early high school, about the time I was getting involved in my home town's summer theatre program. I chose Estwing because the one-piece design and the steel neck looked indestructible, and as a teenage boy I would need a tool as indestructible as myself. Over the next few years of high school that hammer sunk a lot of nails and helped me to build a lot of sets, and then it went off to college with me. In college it continued being applied to nails of all sorts, but it also found a new and valuable use. Properly tethered to my belt via a lanyard I would carry it up into scaffolds with me where I learned a trick of using it to pop the cross braces free single-handed (this involved hooking it under the drop-lock, lifting that piece up, and then popping the brace free with a twist of my wrist—otherwise a two-handed operation). With that additional use added to its repertoire it continued to hang at my side for years to come. After college, as I transitioned to a desk job, my hammer saw less and less use. Nonetheless it continued to be one of my most indestructible tools.

It really wasn't until I was on the verge of replacing my Estwing that I got to thinking about all the history I have with it. I've had this hammer for over 25 years, which is more than half of my life. Looking at it I can see a spot of light blue paint on the handle from working on a scaffold that had had spots repainted and not yet dry, and there's grey paint on the underside of the claw from the same use.

At this point I'll happily hang hammers if they come into my life, and I may even keep a few of them, but I won't ever again think in terms of replacing my old Estwing. You can't replace something which is a part of you.

estwing.jpg
I have a 22 oz estwing straight claw framing hammer that I have had more than 30 years. Many of those years I used it for work . When I say I need my hammer it is what I am talking about. It is the oldest tool I have that I bought myself

Looking at the steel where it broke off it does look a little grainy to me. Not a lot, but a little. When I talk to Al next I'll broach the topic with him.

Yes,Aaron,i'd certainly do that.
If grain is visible it is too large,which means that you're likely to loose more chunks of the blade when encountering a hard knot,cold temperatures,et c.,et c.
If you choose to repair this blade it Will necessitate an HT cycle;i'd make sure that whoever you have do that is aware of grain reduction through Normalizing.

and as a teenage boy I would need a tool as indestructible as myself.

That's the thing about those Estwings. They really are indestructible. That's why nearly every concrete form setter carries an Estwing 20 oz. straight claw. I still keep one for concrete duty. Had it for probably 30 years.

The drawback in the Estwings is that they transmit more vibration to the user than a hickory handle does. And with the straight claws you have to be careful about pulling nails sideways like you do with a framing hammer. The necks can bend, especially on their longer framing hammers. You will very rarely see one break but it does happen. The necks can suffer metal fatigue.

That's the thing about those Estwings. They really are indestructible. That's why nearly every concrete form setter carries an Estwing 20 oz. straight claw. I still keep one for concrete duty. Had it for probably 30 years.

The drawback in the Estwings is that they transmit more vibration to the user than a hickory handle does. And with the straight claws you have to be careful about pulling nails sideways like you do with a framing hammer. The necks can bend, especially on their longer framing hammers. You will very rarely see one break but it does happen. The necks can suffer metal fatigue.

The hammer I was talking about has a slight bend in it do to scaffolding shenanigans. I've also got an Estwing hatchet with a more noticeable bend. Both are still very useable, though!

I got this Plumb on eBay last week. I made an offer on it, went my way. I have a slightly bigger one I got from JB that has a permabond haft, but this is wedged. Had three step wedges in it and a bit of overstrike damage. Pulled the head (real pretty forging), filed, re-hung dropped about 1/8", clipped the fawnsfoot, hid the bit of damage with a quick and easy collar. But the leather I used is too thick in retrospect. Don't matter, they get torn up quick anyway. This is a 3lber, had never been sharpened. It was a serious steal at the price I got it. The one I got from JB is a 3.5lber. Both sticks needed straightening. Very nice feeling axe. This one I will use, the Permabond one I was going to, but that old permabond makes me nervous it might pop. Love this 3lb, it's a sweet spot for me. These pics might suck, downsized a lot.

20190826_080554-406x614.jpg 20190826_080431-406x835.jpg 20190826_080300-406x420.jpg 20190826_080208-406x1134.jpg 20190826_080526-406x621.jpg 20190826_080346-406x1061.jpg

Back