1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. TJLyon711

TJLyon711 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Damn is right. Love those TT tomahawks. That one looks pretty cherry too...jealous! Great handle on the hatchet as well, I bet he was very pleased, I would be! Great work!

2. Whiskey_Jim

Whiskey_Jim

Feb 21, 2017
    Two more
    [​IMG]

3. TJLyon711

Dec 24, 2019
    I agree! Stick with a straight handle on that guy, I don't think it looks too long at all. Without holding it myself, I'd only adjust the length if the balance feels off. A kick forward at the bottom of the handle would look awesome I think also!

Meek1 likes this.
  4. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Thank you all for the kind words! I do appreciate it!!

Meek1 and JoeP01 like this.
  5. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I rehung the registered the other day. 32" vintage Kelly haft. I got the helve with a Kelly champion connie hung on it. And I'm all but convinced it's the original haft for that Kelly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Left the tongue proud so I wouldn't mess up the bluing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm so pleased to finally have one! :thumbsup:
    Now on to the next ones on the list. :D. Thanks for looking!
    [​IMG]

6. TJLyon711

Dec 24, 2019
    Looks great man! A looker forsure! Do/did you finish that bit with a stone? Did you put a file to it also?

Yankee Josh likes this.
  7. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    WOW! Beautiful man!!! that handle is PERFECT for that head. Love it!

actually, it looks suspiciously like a handle I got with an old axe. Can you tell me, on the left side of the handle, are there any words pressed into it. maybe something like 'Genuine Hickory' ? I think that's what the one I have says on it. I'll check when I get home.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  8. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thanks man! I'm very pleased with how it turned out. :D. There are no words in that haft anywhere! May have been at one point but nothing now. :thumbsdown:

Mack likes this.
  9. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you! I used diamond stones and then 7000 grit sandpaper by hand, dry. Then I just put a micro bevel(it's a little larger than usual) on it. It'l never be used but it's definitely sharp enough for it. :D

TJLyon711 likes this.
  10. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    That’s a dandy for sure. I like the contrast of the clean blued head with the old sweaty handle. :cool:

Yankee Josh likes this.
  11. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Here's the Wards Master Quality hatchet. Hung on a Plumb tested hickory helve with a take up screw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't bore the tapered hole for the take up screw large enough and while installing it, by driving it in with my impact:confused:, I broke one of the ears off the head of the screw. I'll have to cut a groove in it to remove it eventually. Here it is broken;
    [​IMG]
    And after I cut the other ear off and sanded and oiled it;
    [​IMG]
    Evidently these weren't made for all that long. The steel is quite good for a hatchet. Thanks for looking! :thumbsup::D
    [​IMG]

12. TJLyon711

Dec 24, 2019
    Nice little bag hatchet! Looks good with all the Plumb fixin's! What's the weight of that head? I'd be getting a belt sheath for that one!

cityofthesouth and Yankee Josh like this.
  13. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you! Normally I wouldn't polish it but I messed up while using a scotch brite pad and put a couple bright spots in it. So I figured what the heck I'll polish 'er up! It weighs about 1-1/2lb. It would fill the role adequately enough but when I picture a belt axe it doesn't have a nail slot. One of my 1-1/2lbers I made a belt sheath for. It works very well!

cityofthesouth and TJLyon711 like this.
  14. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
  15. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Oh, she is thick! Love that handle too!

16. Jbpman

Jbpman

Aug 5, 2019
    Wanted to tell everyone thanks for all the help and the amazing resources out in this group. This was my dads and in the barn for 40 yrs.

My first rehang!!! Thank you BF!! 8623F94D-0635-473C-AE92-229FF72BB8A1.jpeg C878E489-4DD4-4B29-A64C-6EBEEA604599.jpeg

17. TJLyon711

Dec 24, 2019
    My turn my turn! I've been slacking lately, somehow this project got bumped to the front, did it all yesterday. 4 lb. Merit I scored for $11, the haft was basically free, had a too far gone no name head on it I got in a package deal, but I figured the haft was salvageable. Ended up at 34" OAL. I'm pleased with the finished product. Should make a nice user. Can anyone help me identify the wood of this haft? It's noticeably lighter than hickory, I think it's oak but I'm a newb in wood identification still. Thanks for the input!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I am certainly no expert on types of wood, but it reminds me of ash or oak. It has been many years since I worked in a sawmill and the one distinguishing difference that stuck out to me from those days with ash & oak grown here in southern Minnesota was ash was more white in color. Most of the oak had a slight yellow hint to it.

Yankee Josh, TJLyon711 and Meek1 like this.
  19. Peck Price

Peck Price

Sep 28, 2013
    I am in the “not an expert” category too but the prominent grain characteristic leads me to believe it is ash.

20. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think it's ash, too.