What Did You Sharpen Today?

Want to see if maybe I can start a thread and see some of those edges on any tools.
I'm working on a cheap work axe at the moment so can't even get the ball rolling with a picture but maybe someone can.

Want to see if maybe I can start a thread and see some of those edges on any tools.
I'm working on a cheap work axe at the moment so can't even get the ball rolling with a picture but maybe someone can.

I'm an amateur but these are relatively recent:

1xAv03T.jpg

LMbGIhj.jpg

NA8M29j.jpg

Last edited:
Got this Plumb done today. Not a pretty sharpening job but it turned out razor sharp. As the knife guys say it's scary sharp. The last file I put on it was an old Nicholson 6" fine cut and that did it.
hWyiuuol.jpg

Looking good. Amazing how a piece of steel can be so enjoyable to even look at LOL.

Here are two I got done today, they are work tools that I use mainly on roots so I hit rocks sometimes. I have them just sharp enough to do the job but that piece of crap one with the yellow handle was a job and a half just to get it where it is now.

My Estwing that I have had for the longest time...poor fella.

Then the ugly one. A Brico axe

Got this Plumb done today. Not a pretty sharpening job but it turned out razor sharp. As the knife guys say it's scary sharp. The last file I put on it was an old Nicholson 6" fine cut and that did it.
hWyiuuol.jpg
nice Plumb Butterfly pattern axe, what size?
Plumb Butterflies are one of my favorites. usually good steel and straight bits.
oh yeah what did i sharpen today. i'm working on a Master Mechanic Michigan pattern axe.i don't know, maybe it's a Hoosier?

buzz

Last edited:
Buzz,
The hewing hatchet is a True Temper, I'm right handed and wasn't thinking when I hung this, at this point I don't have much use for it but I may take it out someday and practice my left hand swing. It was a gift from my mother in law, she picked it up at a junk shop, the handle was trashed but the head was nice. Just needed some love.

The Plumb is 2.75 lb boys rafting axe, hardened poll.

Let's see some pics of that Master Mechanic when you get it done.
Thanks

Marat,
Nice job on the Brico and Eastwing. They both look to have some miles on them.

It was yesterday but...This little guy I found lost among some other rusty tools.

DSC08180_zpsafaeaa5d.jpg

DSC08183_zpseeu6w7ig.jpg

It was my grandpa's, but I don't know its story or anything about it. Sad thing!

I sharpened these in the last couple of days.

Collins that was badly pitted and had been used as a splitter of rocks I think. 24 hours in vinegar, a new handle and a some sharpening and it's good to go.
Collins001.jpg

I found this True Temper Kelly Works double bit last Sunday at a flea market for $5. Much cleaning, sharpening and a new handle.
TTKelly001.jpg

I had this old Estwing campers axe for about 25 years, it was ugly from much abuse while camping. I changed it a little and gave it a shaving sharp edge.
EstwingAxe002.jpg

EstwingAxe001.jpg

Just finished the Kelly Jersey and double, still have to do the Plumb, maybe later tonight or tomorrow.
IMG_1083a.jpg

It was yesterday but...This little guy I found lost among some other rusty tools.

DSC08180_zpsafaeaa5d.jpg

DSC08183_zpseeu6w7ig.jpg

It was my grandpa's, but I don't know its story or anything about it. Sad thing!
great old chopper. wish i had grandad's anything.
buzz

RixAxe, nice sharpening job, wow, such clean lines on those babies. I must say though that I would be afraid to walk bare feet around your place LOL.

RixAxe, nice sharpening job, wow, such clean lines on those babies. I must say though that I would be afraid to walk bare feet around your place LOL.

Thank you for your comment. I take great pride in my sharpening, and a lot of time, thanks for taking notice. I use a file and 220 grit paper on a 12" x 1" oak flat followed by a polishing wheel on some of them. I spent 8 hours total getting that TT double back into shape and sharp, it was abused and sharpened wrong so it took extra time. It won't be that much trouble when it needs resharpened.

4lb Plumb cedar pattern. I cleaned it up awhile back but just got around to sharpening it under the light of our Coleman lantern. Something about a power outtage and sharpening an axe head.

It's poll is not hardened.

RixAxe you did a heck of a good job!!! I don't say that often especially on sharpening! That's what I take most pride in is my edges! I have a couple of Mann Edge made Craftsman heads I am gonna upload pics of shortly and a Snow&Neally Jersey pattern and a old Kelly Woodslasher cruiser that my grandpa used as a timber cruiser for Weyerhaeuser. I like you take great pride in what I do me and my best friend refurbish old tools. We sell most, but there are a few that we keep along the way.

Back