What Did You Sharpen Today?

4lb Plumb cedar pattern. I cleaned it up awhile back but just got around to sharpening it under the light of our Coleman lantern. Something about a power outtage and sharpening an axe head.

It's poll is not hardened.

Looks good. At 4 pounds that's the heaviest cedar pattern I've seen. Surprising it's not hardened. Makes me wonder if it's a good candidate for hardening. Plumbs are usually homogeneous steel.

I been busy today!
11952035_1017437488276690_3160382647231980823_n.jpg

Got this Plumb done today. Not a pretty sharpening job but it turned out razor sharp. As the knife guys say it's scary sharp. The last file I put on it was an old Nicholson 6" fine cut and that did it.
hWyiuuol.jpg

very sexy thing,like a mix between rafting and cedar pattern, nice! could we see entire haft?

The file guard is a piece of vinyl hose cut in half. The Plumb boys axe is a cedar pattern.
ehHfpoC.jpg

24335050102_33284aecd2_h.jpg

Sharpened this little guy that I have on line from a pass-around. It takes a nice edge with ease just like its American counterparts.

Rockman, that hewing hatchet is a beauty. Those usually take a little more work to put back into shape. Looks good.

Beautiful hatchet olybears. I feel like I need sunglasses to look at that bit!

Rockman, that hewing hatchet is a beauty. Those usually take a little more work to put back into shape. Looks good.
The previous owner decided to bevel the flat side. Took some work to get it back flat.

The previous owner decided to bevel the flat side. Took some work to get it back flat.

Ohhh. I hate that. They should be drawn and quartered or at least a good flogging.
It is usually a deal breaker when I come across them like that. You have some elbow grease in that one for sure.

Ohhh. I hate that. They should be drawn and quartered or at least a good flogging.
It is usually a deal breaker when I come across them like that. You have some elbow grease in that one for sure.

I would have left laying there but it was a gift from my mother in law, so I felt olbliged to bring it back to a useful state.

Sort of in process, a tomahawk I'm fixing up for primitive camping.
1453315997583-407827169.jpg

I'll keep tinkering on it until the edge is useful and then clean it up andput it on a striped handle I've got. I was going to go with a bag axe (and probably still will get one at some point), but this one looked interesting. I'm cynical about the utility of tomahawks aside from throwing, but willing to try to learn something.

Back