What Did You Sharpen Today?

I've checked my catalogs and not found one with phantom bevels.

The only pictures I could dredge up of a phantom beveled claw hatchet were Wedgeway and a listing for a Kelly.

Kelly maybe...
VdBFFkW.jpg

Wedgeway definitely not!
jxFI3wQ.jpg

I’ve been using it for a while to cut kindling, stakes, and split small wedges for other tools.

It just came to me that I am more apt to pick up, use, and actively maintain solid older stuff that is unmarked or more common. For some reason I focus more on what I’m building/making than if I have to worry about overstrike or messing up stickers or embossing - those are really, really cool and I love seeing them but not collecting at that level of antiques makes it easier to sharpen or reprofile something.

I very much appreciate the time looking into it. Here is the rest of it:

KonvthT.jpg

The handle is actually my favorite part when using it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: A17
Thanks for the picks. I a big fan of claw hatchets in general. Best multi-purpose hatchet - bit, poll and claw. Older ones were just very slightly convex. They do it all well. I think they do best on a riggers haft.

Putting a new edge on my Plumb Boy Scout hatchet and doing two chainsaw chains.

A storm took down a couple big branches and a few small trees at a friend's house a couple weeks ago. I went over last weekend to help with the cleanup and brought a little 12" Echo and a few hatchets & axes. I turned my back for like two seconds to talk to his wife and before I knew it he had taken my Boy Scout hatchet and was using it to try and cut the roots of a tree stump (translation: hacking and dangerously swinging wildly at the roots while managing to miss everything but rocks & dirt). When that didn't work he took the chainsaw and without digging around the roots, put the bar into the dirt and started to cut in a circle... When I heard the saw was when I realized what was going on. He's a chef by trade and makes the best BBQ I've ever had so I let it slide...

Craftsman boy’s axe. It was a bit shinier before I used it. The flat sided heads make it a little harder to reach up the center very far. With those is it more thinning in the middle?

That little nick in the toe wasn't there when I started chopping - next time I guess.

i3A0Beg.jpg

z0Ocixe.jpg

They all seem to appreciate handles and like to be sharp. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: A17
20160803_144808_zpsvewkipmp.jpg

The only one I've got. Marbles camp axe. It's been great for my limited needs. Well, as long as it's sharp.

Finished the edge on this mini this morning. The sheath is wet formed and drying in the sun. It will be gifted to a friend next week. He's planning on using it to keep his shooting lanes clear of small limbs and processing deer.
UMdEoi8.jpg

tAZ6QeZ.jpg

Just testing some NOS files that I got today, Kearney & Foot flat bastard files. The head is a 3.5lb Mann Knot Klipper connie.

That looks like it will do work JB!

I don't know anything about the files or the maker but I am guessing they are niiice.

5a5F74r.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know who makes this, but it was twice the effort of any that I have sharpened recently. Now I know what skating means. I knew, but now I know.

I don't know who makes this, but it was twice the effort of any that I have sharpened recently. Now I know what skating means. I knew, but now I know.

Could be a top shelf offering from a hardware chain. Might be a Kelly Perfect in disguise. Also, the oxidation layer can be nigh impossible to get thru. If you get a hard oxidation layer than break thru it in one small spot and work out from there. The rest of the oxidation layer can be cut from below as you work your way out (file peeling up the softer steel below). You'll still get some skating but it won't be as bad.

I like it!

What you're bevel looks like when you're done will depend on the axe and its original shape. There's a certain profile you want. When you get there - you're done - regardless of what the grind looks like. A little pitting on the back end of the grind means nothing. Another sharpening or 2 and it will be gone. There's no reason to grind away perfectly good steel to get rid of a little pitting. I would leave it just like you did.

Back