What Did You Sharpen Today?

I was wrong about this craftsman. I originally thought it was an overlaid bit. But when it arrived in the mail it appeared not to be. But i stand corrected and was right in the first place. It does have an overlaid bit. You have to look carefully but if you follow the slight imperfection you can see the point where the two steels meet.
YTJNK0L.jpg

Had a pretty badly worn toe and while i didn't completely get it fixed i filed a lot of steel off this thing. As it arrived;
EEkmfp0.jpg

After lots of work.
troeI8R.jpg

This isn't a burr or a wire edge it's skin from me constantly feeling how sharp it is. Haha.
wl9CNCs.jpg
FbhQBEf.jpg
sjsAUyk.jpg

I mistakenly thought when i saw a craftsman with an f5 or f4 stamp i was looking at a more modern, mono steel axe. This has an f5 stamp. Anyone know how old this axe could be? Strikes me as being an older one especially with the overlaid bit. Thanks for looking!

I just got this old no name red paint hatchet it from Miller72 and went to work on it.

It had seen a little wear up towards the toe which I fixed, and I took a wire wheel and a light touch with some 220 grit paper to remove the rust scale from the surface.
It's not a perfect filing, but I'm not that proficient at a proper banana grind and it's good enough for me.

I was wrong about this craftsman. I originally thought it was an overlaid bit. But when it arrived in the mail it appeared not to be. But i stand corrected and was right in the first place. It does have an overlaid bit. You have to look carefully but if you follow the slight imperfection you can see the point where the two steels meet.
YTJNK0L.jpg

Had a pretty badly worn toe and while i didn't completely get it fixed i filed a lot of steel off this thing. As it arrived;
EEkmfp0.jpg

After lots of work.
troeI8R.jpg

This isn't a burr or a wire edge it's skin from me constantly feeling how sharp it is. Haha.
wl9CNCs.jpg
FbhQBEf.jpg
sjsAUyk.jpg

I mistakenly thought when i saw a craftsman with an f5 or f4 stamp i was looking at a more modern, mono steel axe. This has an f5 stamp. Anyone know how old this axe could be? Strikes me as being an older one especially with the overlaid bit. Thanks for looking!

Great job on that grind, I'm not good at doing banana grinds but I just haven't had much practice.

i was the only one that brought an axe on the camping trip, when we knew there was wood to be cut....
it traded a few hands and got some decent dings so i filed a bit, didnt take more that an hour.
z8IoKNE.jpg

iiGDDLj.jpg

also has anyone seen 300six in a while? tried to go to his profile but it just searched for his posts, the most recent being may15th i think

i was the only one that brought an axe on the camping trip, when we knew there was wood to be cut....
it traded a few hands and got some decent dings so i filed a bit, didnt take more that an hour.
z8IoKNE.jpg

iiGDDLj.jpg

also has anyone seen 300six in a while? tried to go to his profile but it just searched for his posts, the most recent being may15th i think
Nice axe Phantom.
I have also been wondering about 300six. One of the more colorful characters on this form. I hope all is well with him and he is just spending more time with trees and less on the computer.

z8IoKNE.jpg

iiGDDLj.jpg

I still exchange emails with 300Six. He's got some other stuff going on right now. He had a lot of good woods time this summer on both sides of Canada. He's still swinging axes.

I am working on a new Vaughan camp axe/hatchet I have a H.F. 1 x 30belt sander . I work on it until it get warm , then let it cool I make it a point to not let stuff get hot enough that it uncomfortable to touch . I am close to switching to a stone to finish it up

I switched to one of the 4 sided diamond sharpeners from H.F. it is close. It is sharper now than the knives most of my coworkers carry . But needs a little more to meet my standards

Now that i reread your question peg it seems you were asking about grit? I'm not 100% sure. I think the medium diamond is 350 and the fine diamond is 600 maybe? I have long since threw out the package. I don't think i could ever switch from diamond stones now. They cut so darn good just rinsing in a bowl of water.

Here is an old Plumb boys axe. Fixing it up for a friend.
This is how I got it.

After some hand fileing

Then Rooster Method sharpening 220grt

Then with 400 grt paper.
hsbc bank near me
Once its hung. I’ll buff just the cutting edge using my buffing wheel.
This has been handed down at least two generations. And will be handed down to the next (maybe my grandson ) when I’m done.

Back