What Did You Sharpen Today?

Well it's definitely a wedge! Haha. Can you take a closer photo of the makers mark? I've never been good at seeing a typed word and trying match it. I do much better if I can see the stamp. Putnam doesn't ring any bells for a Maine maker. But there could be one!!
Hey Josh, here's another perhaps better picture of the mark. Let me know what your interpretation is.

dlsK31x.jpg

Hey Josh, here's another perhaps better picture of the mark. Let me know what your interpretation is.

dlsK31x.jpg
It definitely looks like Putnam and it's definitely a wedge. But I have no recollection of a Putnam maker in Maine. Doesn't mean there wasn't! I suspect there's probably dozens of makers I don't yet know about. Let me know if you figure it out! My interest is piqued now!

A google search of Putnam blacksmith Maine turns up a couple mentions in some old google books scans, Samuel and Stephen, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more small time outfits back in the day.

One of my all-time favorites sharpened today. Rixford, 3 pounds in 1955, about 2.8 lbs in 2020. Edges soo thin and soo strong. It bites and stands sturdy with just a centimeter or two in the wood but has enough of a center line to avoid sticking and push chips (third picture is it biting some solid red maple).

YiQNu12.jpg

LbSnaLx.jpg

Nx3quKA.jpg

kXsDbE9.jpg

bHR4DAl.jpg

One of my all-time favorites sharpened today. Rixford, 3 pounds in 1955, about 2.8 lbs in 2020. Edges soo thin and soo strong. It bites and stands sturdy with just a centimeter or two in the wood but has enough of a center line to avoid sticking and push chips (third picture is it biting some solid red maple).

YiQNu12.jpg

LbSnaLx.jpg

Nx3quKA.jpg

kXsDbE9.jpg

bHR4DAl.jpg

Super steel in The Rixfords. Great hang and great axe!

Also that looks nice and clean. Triangular file?
Yes, mostly done with a fresh 10" triangle file. True Temper hammer faces are well hardened. The corners of the file were losing their crispness by the end of the job. As a result the grooves were becoming more rounded. I had to finish the bottoms of some grooves with a Japanese feather file.

Triangle%20file.jpg

Japanese%20Feather%20%20File.jpg

Dang, that reminds me - I should get a new feather file, mine is getting pretty tired. I got it on my last trip to Hardwicks before they shut down.

Nice work, man. Most of my lath hatchets are Vaughans, perhaps tempered back a little softer. I see you leave the haft slightly proud of the eye, I do likewise about twice as much, and sometimes peen it over a little.

Parker

I should add that hand milling a hammer face or axe poll is tedious work. I wouldn't attempt it without good files and a sturdy vise. Having good access to 3 sides of the vise as with a post vise or pedestal vise is a big help.

Haven’t been to that end of the state for a while. But I can also visit the Buck knife factory while I’m in their neighborhood…

Parker

Hardwicks was amazing!!! A tool museum with new and old for sale. Sadly Seattle real estate prices taxed them out of the U-District. They’re in Idaho now and don’t do online sales.
There used to be a secondhand store in Bellingham (WA) called Paces New & Used that was a gold mine for old tools at Goodwill prices. Sadley also now closed.

Hardwicks was amazing!!! A tool museum with new and old for sale. Sadly Seattle real estate prices taxed them out of the U-District. They’re in Idaho now and don’t do online sales.
I've heard of them but didn't know the back story. It's been years since I've been that far north, Coeur d' Alene or Sandpoint I think?

Back