What did your SAK do today?

My emerald Compact opened a bottle of SmAdams Octoberfest, cut up an apple pear (yep, an apple pear), snipped some stray thread on my jeans, and signed the credit card slip for my dinner. It's sat in my back pocket next to my wallet since I got it.

Wow, I looked at that model and it looks really really nice - minimalistic while maximizing usefulness. I thought I'd be set with my Cybertool 41, but i've got the itch for a minimal 2-layer or so model. Now I just need to find that custom builder and swap the corkscrew and hook out for a phillips and leather awl.

I carried my OH-Forester today and used it to prepare a snack at the club after wrestling practice. Then I used my Wenger Pocket Tool Chest to help my girlfriend set up some sort of sewing machine thingymabob (she's got like half a dozen, all look the same to me) and install some new lights for her drawing board (she's studying to be a clothes designer).

This week I will carry my Wenger SI and used it to open the plastic bag with bread for breakfast. Last week I carried the Victorinox Pioneer Rancher and although the pruning blade is very handy, I noticed a few times that I missed the small screw driver on the can opener.

Peeled both a kiwi and an orange (large blade)
Sawed through some branches in my back yard to make room for a throwing range (wood saw)
Opened a can of apple pie filling (can opener)
Opened a cardbord box with my new panga machete in it (small blade)
Unscrewed 2 phillips head screws with the small flathead on the end of the can opener.
Pretty sure that is it for my huntsman

My emerald Compact opened a bottle of SmAdams Octoberfest, cut up an apple pear (yep, an apple pear), snipped some stray thread on my jeans, and signed the credit card slip for my dinner. It's sat in my back pocket next to my wallet since I got it.

I also opened a couple bottles of Sam Adams Octoberfest tonight (Tinker), with 4 more to go in the 6 pack and another half a game of football left to watch (go Chargers!). Today my SAK's also snipped some loose threads on my sneakers (Classic SD) and cut out of piece of cardboard to use to get the fire started on the BBQ (Tinker).

Wrote a to do list and checked items off at home depot, or as the task was done.
Torx driver to snug the pivot on my paramilitary 2

Last week I used the can opener on my Tinker to open a can of tomatoes while camping.

I actually forgot to pack a can opener in our overnight box, and I fortunately had the SAK
with me (like always).

I was so reminded of their utility in a pinch that today's activity was getting two more SAK's in the mail:
Silver Alox Farmer, Red Fieldmaster.

Today, it sat in my pocket and provided emotional comfort. Then I messed it up psycologically my using it to file a hangnail. And unscer the dust cap to refill my IM corona old boy pipe lighter. But mostly, emotional comfort. And I untangled seventeen yo-yo - knots (my wednesday average so far in 2012).

Used my awe to clean up some rough edges on a kydex sheath and the screwdriver to attach a teklok to another sheath :)

Vic Tinker

I just fixed the front doorknob to my house using the screwdriver (which I never thought I would use).
Earlier today at the dog run, I used the tweezers to get a small piece of acorn shell out of a Mastiff named Grey front paw (yes i was scared).
I also used the small blade to attempt a carving in an Opinel no.7 knife handle (found out that..i am not a wood carver lol)
Opened a box with some BMW M5 parts for my old bimmer.

Now Im going to sleep

Alox Soldier.

Opened the mail, trimmed a loose thread from my pants, reamed out the nozzle of the soap dispenser, sliced up my banana, opened a few reluctant pistachios. I love pistachios.

All kinds of internet issues at the house today. When I got back from the ISP tech office with a newly reconfigured wireless router, the phone line into my DSL modem was dead.

So, I crawled under the desk and used my Fieldmaster to reconnect the wires that had broken loose from the telephone jack: small screwdriver blade on the end of the can opener to loosen and tighten tiny screws on the jack; small blade to strip wire.

I am obviously back online!

What did my SAK do today? It broke. It whimpered like a little girl and then broke while opening a bottle of wine. I bought a Spartan after I landed in Madrid so I'd have a few basic tools with me while on vacation. Three weeks later, in Portugal now, and she finally gave way. A shame too, as I was really beginning to warm to the functionality over a standard pocket knife. I've been checking in on the forums and was even planning a pocket clip mod to make it my EDC once I got back. Time to rethink that. Damn shame.

We picked up a couple pumpkins at the market and the little one my daughter kept playing with had too long of a stem so I used the saw on my Ranger Plus to cut it down to size.

Back