What do you do with your knives that you no longer use?

I’m ashamed to say how many knives I own. Let’s just say I’ve been collecting/accumulating knives for over 45 years so I have a substantial accumulation.

As for knives that are worn? I don’t have any that are worn beyond usefulness.

Knives gifted to me? They go into 1 of 2 categories. Junk that well meaning family and friends give me because I’m “the knife guy” are kept for sentimental reasons regardless of quality. The others get carried and used at some point like the rest.

Specialty knives, like the over 100 year old folders get carried throughout the year but lightly. I carry anywhere from 3 to 6 knives at any given moment so they never are exposed to excessive use and wear.

One of a kind and collectibles also get used like above with the exception being knives I bought to specifically resell at a later date. Those only get fingered, fondled and pictures taken for posting later.

Custom knives get used like regular knives and again because of the quantity of knives they don’t see excessive wear as their use is distributed amongst all the knives.

The last category are knives bought or acquired specifically as an EDC. These get carried till they begin to exhibit visible signs of a fair amount of use. These then get put into semi-retirement where they get pulled out on weekends or for an occasional use during the year.

Here’s some examples of the condition my knives are in.

Here’s a Rexford/ZT 0808 that was a gift from a friend here on BFC, I love this knife so much it finds itself into one of my pockets at least half the time. You can see the wear from use, the Ti handles are all scratched and scuffed from pocket detritus and the blade has sharpening marks and presents with about a 95% blade.

M4QgW1L.jpg

This one’s far from ready for retirement, maybe in another 10-15 years. :)

Here’s another, a well used Sebenza also far from being retired although the blade presents at about 85%. This knife is so well engineered and made it’ll probably never be retired, just passed on.

The small Plain Jane 21 in the top right corner is my oldest Sebenza acquired 6 years ago.

u4tMDI3.jpg

Here’s another example a mid 1800s Josef Sziraki sleeve board pearl lobster pattern. I carry this knife often throughout the year, usually when going out somewhere knice.

vVDfO0Ph.jpg

Here’s a nearly 100 year old Graeff & Schmidt jack Knife I rescued from the trash. A lot of time cleaning and the end result is a knife that at nearly a century old is still a perfectly functional and carriable knife. Even thought the blades present at about 75% there’s still decades of use left in it.

lvzFMFQh.jpg

Last pic, here’s a custom Bud Nealy Aikuchi I bought from him at one of his first big shows back in the late 80s, early 90s. I’ve literally carried this knife as a backup to my pistol and as an EDC utility blade. Most of the blueing has worn off, I modified the bolster to allow me to orient the blade without looking. The sheath has been extensively modified to reduce weight and leave less of a print than the original.

QXsUqPk.jpg

This knife is also far from retiring and even with 29 years of EDC the blade still can perform its function flawlessly.

With all that said over the years I’ve gifted and given away many knives either directly or through GAEs. Fortunately I’ve been blessed with many friends here at BFC over the years and now have a substantial paddock of knives with sentimental value which will never leave my collection.

I also keep many older Traditional knives as a historic reference for patterns you don’t typically see out there anymore.

In answer to the storage question, I use everything from knife rolls and Plano tackle boxes to cigar boxes and jewelry boxes. You’d be amazed at how accommodating a woman’s jewelry armoire can be to an avid knife accumulator.

Hope I answered some of your questions. My original answer was a smart aleck one that after reading the rest of the responses I reconsidered and decided on a legitimate reply.

I never "use" any of the knives in my collection, even if they were used when I got them. I consider them collectibles that I want to preserve in the best condition possible.

HOWEVER, I have many other knives (mainly kitchen, camp & gardening tools) that I do not consider part of my collection that will ALWAYS use unless they break and cannot be repaired or can no longer function for some other reason. To date, there is no such knife in my possession; every knife that I have ever used, some over 50 yrs old, can still be used and is stored where I can find and make use of it when needed.

I agree with everything you said except the first paragraph.

I post in these threads about how I have several sorted out and need to sell them … but I hate posting sale threads honestly … so a handful have been gifted to some members I've been lucky enough to find friends in … or to a nephew that is about the only family member that really picked up hunting trapping or love of the outdoors ...

and then again there is this sorted out bunch I need to list for sale sometime … scratching my head :confused:

No difficult thought process involved. If I liked it enough, I keep it around in case I may want to use it again later or to pass it along to my boys. If I didn't like it all that much, I give it away or sell it.

I’m ashamed to say how many knives I own. Let’s just say I’ve been collecting/accumulating knives for over 45 years so I have a substantial accumulation.

As for knives that are worn? I don’t have any that are worn beyond usefulness.

Knives gifted to me? They go into 1 of 2 categories. Junk that well meaning family and friends give me because I’m “the knife guy” are kept for sentimental reasons regardless of quality. The others get carried and used at some point like the rest.

Specialty knives, like the over 100 year old folders get carried throughout the year but lightly. I carry anywhere from 3 to 6 knives at any given moment so they never are exposed to excessive use and wear.

One of a kind and collectibles also get used like above with the exception being knives I bought to specifically resell at a later date. Those only get fingered, fondled and pictures taken for posting later.

Custom knives get used like regular knives and again because of the quantity of knives they don’t see excessive wear as their use is distributed amongst all the knives.

The last category are knives bought or acquired specifically as an EDC. These get carried till they begin to exhibit visible signs of a fair amount of use. These then get put into semi-retirement where they get pulled out on weekends or for an occasional use during the year.

Here’s some examples of the condition my knives are in.

Here’s a Rexford/ZT 0808 that was a gift from a friend here on BFC, I love this knife so much it finds itself into one of my pockets at least half the time. You can see the wear from use, the Ti handles are all scratched and scuffed from pocket detritus and the blade has sharpening marks and presents with about a 95% blade.

M4QgW1L.jpg

This one’s far from ready for retirement, maybe in another 10-15 years. :)

Here’s another, a well used Sebenza also far from being retired although the blade presents at about 85%. This knife is so well engineered and made it’ll probably never be retired, just passed on.

The small Plain Jane 21 in the top right corner is my oldest Sebenza acquired 6 years ago.

u4tMDI3.jpg

Here’s another example a mid 1800s Josef Sziraki sleeve board pearl lobster pattern. I carry this knife often throughout the year, usually when going out somewhere knice.

vVDfO0Ph.jpg

Here’s a nearly 100 year old Graeff & Schmidt jack Knife I rescued from the trash. A lot of time cleaning and the end result is a knife that at nearly a century old is still a perfectly functional and carriable knife. Even thought the blades present at about 75% there’s still decades of use left in it.

lvzFMFQh.jpg

Last pic, here’s a custom Bud Nealy Aikuchi I bought from him at one of his first big shows back in the late 80s, early 90s. I’ve literally carried this knife as a backup to my pistol and as an EDC utility blade. Most of the blueing has worn off, I modified the bolster to allow me to orient the blade without looking. The sheath has been extensively modified to reduce weight and leave less of a print than the original.

QXsUqPk.jpg

This knife is also far from retiring and even with 29 years of EDC the blade still can perform its function flawlessly.

With all that said over the years I’ve gifted and given away many knives either directly or through GAEs. Fortunately I’ve been blessed with many friends here at BFC over the years and now have a substantial paddock of knives with sentimental value which will never leave my collection.

I also keep many older Traditional knives as a historic reference for patterns you don’t typically see out there anymore.

In answer to the storage question, I use everything from knife rolls and Plano tackle boxes to cigar boxes and jewelry boxes. You’d be amazed at how accommodating a woman’s jewelry armoire can be to an avid knife accumulator.

Hope I answered some of your questions. My original answer was a smart aleck one that after reading the rest of the responses I reconsidered and decided on a legitimate reply.

I agree with everything you said except the first paragraph.
This was very expansive and thought out, and gave me a lot of insight into the mind of someone who's been in the hobby for many years. Thanks for the reply! :D

I've sold three knives. I don't like selling them. I have a hard time ascribing value to something I have no use for. I prefer to give them to friends, family, and strangers.

The knife drawer is a real thing.
I can't really sell any of them, as none of my acquaintances are interested, I don't know of any local forums. So my collection is steadily growing.
Use our Bladeforum Exchange with separate sales forums for fixed blades, folders, etc. Pay the $30 or so to upgrade to a Gold membership and have fun.
I've bought and sold hundreds of knives here over the yrs.

Use our Bladeforum Exchange with separate sales forums for fixed blades, folders, etc. Pay the $30 or so to upgrade to a Gold membership and have fun.
I've bought and sold hundreds of knives here over the yrs.
Yeah, but I'm in Norway, and international shipping really isn't my favorite thing in the world.

throw one in the center console of the truck, one in the kitchen cabinet and one in the backpack. Non users make great backups! especially in the vehicle. I've forgot my edc numerous times rushing to work and it feels good to dust off the console "non user" knife here and there.

I don't have too many knives (the wife would beg to differ, but really, it's a very modest accumulation) and they all get used. I only have one that's not in current rotation due to a couple of problems. It was my EDC for a decade and it is very worn. Somehow, I can't get rid of it and I can't be arsed to get it repaired. So it's sitting in the box o' blades with all my other knives even though it likely will not see another day of use. I guess when I buy myself a knife, it gets used. During the time that I spend with it doing what one does with knives, I grow attached to it. Every time. So I keep them, even when they're plumb wore out. Just too many memories and good times that go with them to pitch them out and no one I know (except me) would want a knife I have beaten the snot out of anyway.
When I make a gift of a knife to someone, they get a new knife. When a knife gets worn beyond usefulness, I still hold onto them for better or worse. The only knives I have owned that are no longer in my possession are the ones I have lost.

For a while I was just hoarding my non users in a shoe box in the garage. Now I’m starting to sell off the ones I don’t carry or keep as backups.

I kind of pass some of them along, I have 8 grandkids ranging in age of 6 to 13 and I have a box for each of them that I keep tossing knives into, I try to match there personalities. Every once in a while I’ll get nostalgic and search those boxes and slip one into my pocket for a while then return it. At this point they all know what’s in their boxes so I just have to put it back or I’ll catch heck for it. One day they will each get their box but until then they are in my or their parents control. Plus I pass some along on the PIF (pay it forward) thread. Great way for you and other to try something dirrerent.

If I stop using a knife I sell it. No point in having knives I don’t use and the sale can put funds toward a knife I will use. That’s why I only have three right now

Depends on how much I like it really. The cheap ones, most of the time I'll put a nice grabby edge on them and give them to other cops who don't carry knives or have lost/broke/loaned theirs out. If it's a nicer one I give them to my little brother or one of my kids. There are a few knives I have that aren't worth anything and I don't carry but have a story behind them that I don't plan to part with.

20190516_162944-2241x3984.jpg
I used to keep my knives in multi-knife pouches, Marcus, until my collection grew too large and I now have a couple glass-top-plus-two-drawer boxes my son gave me and a dedicated piece of furniture for all my knives and knife stuff. This Boker 12-slip "Knife Vault" is the one I like the best and still use for transporting--under 40 bucks at Knife Center and BHQ to name a couple. Also comes in a smaller 6-slip model.

SElrzZm.jpg

rMz01Q9.jpg
Thanks @ChazzyP my Boker snack pack-man purse arrived today. Only gave it a quick look over and stuffed 6 folders in there no problem. Overall I'm quite happy with it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably buy another just like it.

Pic to follow

Back