What else ya got?

Have you considered tinkering with knife mods?
This was also suggested by Sacto. :cool::thumbsup:
While I do find creating stuff to be most satisfying, I've already dedicated myself to leathercraft and can hardly find the time for that as it is. I still have a saddle that's half finished sitting in my shop for months.

I appreciate all the suggestions, it's fun to see what everybody else focuses on when not focusing on GEC.
I really like a few of the suggestions, especially the vintage hardware store knives, that one has me interested. I think I will just keep casually looking at different stuff and see where it takes me or what speaks to me personally. I'll still get the odd GEC when one calls my name, and of course keep looking for those good deals on 1970's Case knives (my favorites), and possibly find my first custom to see if they are truly worth all the extra money. Maybe slowing down is just the natural order of things.

I appreciate all the suggestions, it's fun to see what everybody else focuses on when not focusing on GEC.
I really like a few of the suggestions, especially the vintage hardware store knives, that one has me interested. I think I will just keep casually looking at different stuff and see where it takes me or what speaks to me personally. I'll still get the odd GEC when one calls my name, and of course keep looking for those good deals on 1970's Case knives (my favorites), and possibly find my first custom to see if they are truly worth all the extra money. Maybe slowing down is just the natural order of things.

Sounds good John. Maybe get your toe wet in the custom world by getting a Tony Bose/Case collaboration.

This was also suggested by Sacto. :cool::thumbsup:
While I do find creating stuff to be most satisfying, I've already dedicated myself to leathercraft and can hardly find the time for that as it is. I still have a saddle that's half finished sitting in my shop for months.

Well see, there ya go. Get yourself a Craftsman membership and start selling us pocket slips and belt holders/sheaths. :D

I took a break a few years back and started collecting driftwood to glue chipmunks on in order to sell them to tourists. I felt bad about the chipmunks’ paws being encased in gorilla glue and went back to knives...

Did you sit at a roadside stand with Kathy Bates? Because that would be cool...

Wow. Really? How long is your “while” for a new knife? I suffer from the “OK what’s next?” Disease.

How long is your “while” for a new knife?
However long it takes to find another 70's Case knife that I want at a price i want to pay.
I set a price limit and keep looking until one falls in my lap and that can take quite a while.
I've let a LOT of them slip away because they end up above my price limit, but that's also part of the fun.
I can buy knives every day of the week, but finding the right knife at the right price is what keeps me happy now.

John, How do you identify it’s from the 1970s? Thanks
You have to look at the tang stamps.
Case changes their tang stamp every 10 years and uses a dot system to identify the exact year.

I like the Case knives from the 70's. They were really well built and every one that I've bought has been tight and 'snappy'. I won't go as far as to say their build quality was as good as GEC, but they are approaching that level. The bonus is, if your very patient you can buy them for about half as much as GEC retail. Those deals don't pop up very often but I've always been super excited when they do finally happen. And that was kind of the point of this whole thread, finding a new collection avenue that makes me happy and is at a much slower pace.

img_1480-jpeg.1424267
That's a super pretty knife.
I have yet to find a red bone or green bone in my price range.

Lately I've been looking more at ephemera than actual knives. I recently picked up a 1950's counter-top display case. I've bought 3 books in the past month. I have a neat old piece of porcelain pottery that's a very detailed Knife grinder and his cart. I'm seriously looking at an old mechanical toy knife grinder, and I had hopes (for a very short while) of acquiring a very large (over 4') hanging sign for IXL knives. I have not got into catalogs or ads, but that's not to say I couldn't.

There are very few knives I actually "want" at this point, but I love seeing what all is out there and when things line up I'll spend a dollar.

Lately I've been looking more at ephemera than actual knives. I recently picked up a 1950's counter-top display case. I've bought 3 books in the past month. I have a neat old piece of porcelain pottery that's a very detailed Knife grinder and his cart. I'm seriously looking at an old mechanical toy knife grinder, and I had hopes (for a very short while) of acquiring a very large (over 4') hanging sign for IXL knives. I have not got into catalogs or ads, but that's not to say I couldn't.

There are very few knives I actually "want" at this point, but I love seeing what all is out there and when things line up I'll spend a dollar.

That's a fantastic suggestion!

I think I remember seeing pics of your porcelain Knife Grinder. If it's the one that I'm thinking of it's an absolutely breathtaking piece of artwork. That's why I remember it.

Back