What is the Definition of Ettrick??

Wasn’t certain if this qualifies. I’ll take it down if it doesn’t.
It certainly belongs here!! An Ettrick with an extra Peach Pruner blade!! The cousin of mine on the previous page.
Looks cool with the Brass Bolsters and Caps!!

I've been going trough all 19 pages of this thread and I really start to like this small knife. I can imagine placing the knife in your fingers, your thumb on what you want to cut and pull the blade towards you.
One thing I keep thinking of is that since the handle is longer than the blade you could move the pivot backwards a bit so that the ricasso disappears in the handle. That way you can get your fingers closer to the edge and have more control cutting.
Or am I missing something?

I've been going trough all 19 pages of this thread and I really start to like this small knife. I can imagine placing the knife in your fingers, your thumb on what you want to cut and pull the blade towards you.
One thing I keep thinking of is that since the handle is longer than the blade you could move the pivot backwards a bit so that the ricasso disappears in the handle. That way you can get your fingers closer to the edge and have more control cutting.
Or am I missing something?
Tina's horticultural knives do just what you are talking about. Most of the tang (what you call the ricasso) is hidden in full open position! See how far back the pivot sits??Gordons knives 2.jpg

A bump, to ask a question!! To the many carvers and whittlers out there, has anyone done some whittling/carving with an Ettrick, and found it worthy of that effort?
I always thought the pattern would be handy, but have just started to employ one!!

Always nice to see this thread coming up for air as the pattern is so engaging :thumbsup: Beautiful examples you show Charlie, but that Lloyd has got to be the most arresting I've seen, phenomenal Stag and a very low sunk joint:cool:

Thanks, Will
Thanks Will!!! It's a nicely detailed knife all around!!

Yes, I also like the way JL uses a Bird's Eye type pivot and opts for Shadow style instead of the usual bolster, takes some nerve with that craggy Stag :cool:

I had an Ettrick made to bring back this thread. Not really but this is a great thread about an interesting pattern. My Ettrick is a K’roo with spalted tamarind covers, damasteel blade and a file worked spring. The shield and slanted bolster compliment the gentle curves of the knife. It’s @ 3 3/4” and the blade is @ 2 1/2”. It’s a modern interpretation but still within traditional parameters I’d say. I enjoyed reading about the history of the pattern and seeing the many fine examples in this thread well I needed to get one.
IMG_8408.jpegIMG_8405.jpegIMG_8404.jpeg

I had an Ettrick made to bring back this thread. Not really but this is a great thread about an interesting pattern. My Ettrick is a K’roo with spalted tamarind covers, damasteel blade and a file worked spring. The shield and slanted bolster compliment the gentle curves of the knife. It’s @ 3 3/4” and the blade is @ 2 1/2”. It’s a modern interpretation but still within traditional parameters I’d say. I enjoyed reading about the history of the pattern and seeing the many fine examples in this thread well I needed to get one.
View attachment 2262660View attachment 2262661View attachment 2262662
That's the fanciest Ettrick I've ever seen I think! 😁👍

53068255212_9261b0c90f_h.jpg

Back