What is the Definition of Ettrick??

Thanks Charlie; was lucky with both, I envy your 2020 Forum Knife Viper, that's some gnarly Horn.:cool:

I dug out this "fancy" Lockwood Bros. 'Real Pampa Knife', as a deluxe example!! Note the bias cut on the Horn, and the "wrap around" spring to fill the void in the knife's gullet!!
Note; less than usual curve in the handle of this Ettrick.Horn Lockwood 1.jpgHorn Lockwood 2.jpgHorn Lockwood 3.jpg

Don't agree...the screws suit the Titanium bolster and rough Ram's Horn ;):cool:

No screws here though....

83c4Od1.jpg

A few names I havent heard for a while....currently residing in the where are they now? file.

Wake up little thread!!
when their production was still O.K.!!
This Ettrick is more than OK!! Nice cam-action snap, wrap-around spring with Filework all the way!! Coined liners, filed blade and subtly feathered Horn make this an exceptional knife made by a caring craftsman during Wright's better days!! Will the Ettrick live on??
Who knows?? I'm happy to have this pre-extinction example!! šŸ¤”
:) Etta 1.jpgEtta 2.jpgEtta 3.jpgEtta 4.jpg

Wake up little thread!!

This Ettrick is more than OK!! Nice cam-action snap, wrap-around spring with Filework all the way!! Coined liners, filed blade and subtly feathered Horn make this an exceptional knife made by a caring craftsman during Wright's better days!! Will the Ettrick live on??
Who knows?? I'm happy to have this pre-extinction example!! šŸ¤”
:) View attachment 1784356View attachment 1784357View attachment 1784359View attachment 1784364
That's a fine example Charlie :) Unusual back-spring :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack!! To me the filework looks like it was influenced by your old friend, Stan Shaw, R.I.P.!!
Someone sent me a link to a fleabay auction recently, where some chancer was selling a Wright knife off as one of Stan Shaw's, and wanting a lot of money for it. It sold for vastly more than what it was worth unfortunately :(

Stan could do those Maltese crosses in seconds! :D :thumbsup:

Filework on another vintage AW :thumbsup:

OSRvuJs.jpg

Some Horn-handled Ettricks!!Horny 1.jpgHorny 2.jpgHorny 3.jpgHorny 4.jpg
I'll reiterate here, that Ettricks are one of the most overlooked knives for their usefulness!! Certainly for whittling, the short, pointy, straight-edged blade, and full-length handle are very apt!! The knives are wizardly at opening packages and mail, and the will prune and harvest your kitchen garden very well indeed!!
Traditionally they are the Sheepherder's right hand!! I think I will carry one for a spell, to see how it serves!!

Great posts Charlie :) Hard to believe this thread only has 18 pages, it seems to have been around FOREVER, and there's a lot of good discussion here :) :thumbsup:

I just enjoyed this thread for the first time. Nice it was brought back up. An unusual overall shape that is very appealing.

Back