What is the Definition of Ettrick??

Well after going through this thread I decided to give the Ettrick a go.

WARNING if you must have symmetry divert your gaze. :D

I ordered a stag with full knowledge of what it would probably look like and I was not disappointed. This is what I was looking for and think it looks fantastic. The best way that I can describe the shape of the covers is wonky. :rolleyes: That being said it fits the hand well and the bulbous end sits nicely in the palm of the hand.

The fit and finish are very good. No grit in the joint, smooth action, and a crisp snap. The blade is centered. Seams are smooth with no gaps. A couple of the pins are not perfectly smooth yet don't snag either.

It is sharp however I intend to carve with this knife so I plan to lower the bevel a bit.

I will report back once I have carried it a while, but for now I am very pleased.
SfEmakR.jpg
DIuYOfe.jpg
[/IMG]
OY2TC2z.jpg
iXGryBF.jpg

G3mKaAC.jpg
NOT0m3F.jpg

I dont think I posted photo's of my set of Ettrick's here - where they should, I think they went up in the Old Knives Thread - but man...they belong here if anywhere!
Pale in comparison to Charlie's amazing set- but these aren't here to compare - but rather to join in.
You see the box that these are sold as "Stag", as we know anything in the day that was Bone , Jigged Bone etc was always described as Stag Bone - wonderful!
I think that these sets that Charlie and I have were almost for real a "Barn find".
rl1fbmm.jpg

HDdlqyS.jpg

zjFtcKO.jpg

BsgzmR8.jpg

02A7ZQY.jpg

7ZRpJ1z.jpg

xaZc1I6.jpg

2kYe4JX.jpg

I've always thought the Ettrick would make a fine carving/whittling knife!!
Nice going Jiki Jiki !!:thumbsup: Perfect use!
Can't wait to see your carving finished!!:)

Nice set you have there, Duncan!!:thumbsup:
It is time to dig mine out and take another couple of scans!
You have made yours quite presentable!!

My rosewood Ettrick arrived today. It is a nice little knife that will need a little TLC to get into shape. The wood is beautiful and the spring is spot on with a firm pull and nice snap. The blade however will need a little tuning. It is sitting proud and if you can believe it the bur is still on the edge. Not a little wire bur either you can feel it along the entire edge. Neither of these issues are a big deal considering it is a $30-40 knife and I intend on thinning the blade down anyway. To be honest everyone here knows A. Wright's reputation for quality at this point and it wasn't unexpected that there would be a few issues. We are spoiled by the little knife maker in PA. Anyway like I said the action is good and everything is solid and squared off so this will be a good little knife.

Hope it's more robust than my Rosewood Ettrick Jiki. Scoring Chestnuts at Christmas with it and the tip didn't break, it curled :eek: they must be using some soft steel for that to happen :rolleyes: Still, the tip won't get so much use in carving I suppose.

Didn't capture the grain of the wood so well with the glare, but there it is. All sharpened up, shaving paper thin pieces of basswood across the grain with no streaks left behind by any little imperfections. Kick lowered just fine. Nice little knife.
A1kDn9n.jpg

Hope it's more robust than my Rosewood Ettrick Jiki. Scoring Chestnuts at Christmas with it and the tip didn't break, it curled :eek: they must be using some soft steel for that to happen :rolleyes: Still, the tip won't get so much use in carving I suppose.

Will if you notice on my stag Ettrick it is a ¼ inch shorter than the rosewood. This due to when I took it to the belt sander the tip just dissolved. The remaining blade stock did just fine but the tip poof gone.

Back