What is the Definition of Ettrick??

That Shadow Lloyd is a whole experience in itself :cool:

Cambertree Cambertree Thanks Chin for the interesting analysis of Stag types, I'm rather surprised that your Ettrick is not Sambar but you know better as you handle it all the time:D I've seen some Sambar with pithy aspects, I believe it depends on the place the antler was cut from. However, Red Deer is usually very pithy and has less 'topography' in my experience . Nevertheless, yours is a remarkable specimen, coveted by one and all :cool:

Regards, Will

Ray you wouldn’t buff the “Sloganeering “ out on these - the Etching is extremely Deep! You would have to grind off half of the thickness of the blades.
On older Knives I think that the very deep etching actually adds to the knife / era - the whole parcel- sets the knife in its period I think.

Wouldn't think that they would have been etched so deeply. I'm sure I could learn to love it Duncan. There is much more to be admired of those to distract from the advert. ;)

Ray

Ha ha!! I'm gettin' too well known around here!!:rolleyes:
But my old Scanner is irreplaceable !!:cool:
Scanner patina!!:confused: It has taken images of thousands of knives!!:eek:
Glad you like the knives, Ray!!

Cool thread, beautiful knives all :thumbsup::thumbsup: - Charlie you have really shown some real stunners :cool: - I also find something intriguing about the Ettrick knife … Here’s another Ettrick that I would like to share in this thread… All metal and made by Christopher Johnson ( Johnson Western Works / Sheffield)…. 3 7/8” closed and a nice hefty blade & knife, abit tarnished and needs some TLC but not anything aggressive.. Nice advertising on the mark side - “FH McLeod & Sons Glasgow” and their product: “McLeods Sheep Dip”… They must have been a competitor of Youngs Sheep Dip :) .. Anyway given the rich patina on the blades of this knife I am guessing sheep dip must put one heck of a patina on the blades ;)… Interestingly the blade is deep etched “Ettrick –CJ – Knife” (the CJ was inside a flag and was the Tm of C Johnson) - see photo… so no doubt an Ettrick with what seemingly looks like a curved edge rather than straight (unless some major sharpening was done on the blade which I don’t think was the case)… anyway just wanted to share this one as it is abit different..

kjj28K3.jpg

Easier to read photo :)
J6Buh2J.jpg

4lSSjQ6.jpg

XaqDtYB.jpg

AaNPg7b.jpg

TIUoRJ4.jpg

Cheers!
Lee

OK - I'm in! A utility Ettrick in HORN is now on my short list. It's a short list that could take a year to fulfill but it's on the list nonetheless ;) I am quite smitten with this elegant profiled working knife. :thumbsup: With or without sloganeering :rolleyes:

On the hunt... oh what fun :)

Ray

Last edited:
I remember That one Chin when you got it- darn it looks even better now!
Charlie's bringing out the Bad Boy Lloyds now eh?

Thanks Duncan.:)

Oh yeah, when Charlie brings out those Lloyds and Esnyx sets...well, where do we go from there?!

Between the beautiful old Sheffield Ettricks and those magnificent customs, we’ve got the Alpha and Omega of this pattern covered over the last few pages!

That Shadow Lloyd is a whole experience in itself :cool:

Cambertree Cambertree Thanks Chin for the interesting analysis of Stag types, I'm rather surprised that your Ettrick is not Sambar but you know better as you handle it all the time:D I've seen some Sambar with pithy aspects, I believe it depends on the place the antler was cut from. However, Red Deer is usually very pithy and has less 'topography' in my experience . Nevertheless, yours is a remarkable specimen, coveted by one and all :cool:

Regards, Will

Thanks Will, yes it’s a lovely example of the pattern, which I’m glad to have.

Thinking about your comments, I wonder if part of the reason for the continuing prescence of the pattern in Sheffield lineups over the years, is that an Ettrick is a convenient way of utilising the narrow, curved tine ends of antlers and the end tips of cattle horn, which can’t be used for much else?

The best, thick pieces of deer antler near the base coronets are actually properly matched by taking a piece from one antler, then taking the second piece from the corresponding area on the opposite antler.

These pieces would be used on the most expensive knives, to ensure maximum return - large bowies, custom pieces etc.

Then the antler would be progressively slabbed out for other kinds of knives, but you can see in this pic of a Sambar about to be cleaned and hung for the meat to age, that you would always end up with some small, curved tine ends, which can’t really be used for anything else.

5Ylgm0T.jpg

Anyway, just a thought. I wonder if the cutlers at A. Wright could confirm whether it’s these end pieces which are utilised in Ettricks?

Despite its probable contemporary marketing niche as a ‘gardening knife’, it really doesn’t seem like a perennial best seller among the English patterns.

In this Youtube review of three traditional knives by the staff of a UK gardening magazine, it doesn’t sound like they’d ever seen the pattern before!

More pics of Evan's set. I dismounted the Horn knife from a display case to have the complete set in one picture. So now the list is Ram's Horn, Elephant, Cocobola and Stag!
View attachment 1068744 View attachment 1068745

Magnificent Charlie! I love the swedge on the stag knife. I recall that Evan ground a more pronounced swedge on that knife in response to a suggestion from Tony Bose.:thumbsup::cool:

Cool thread, beautiful knives all :thumbsup::thumbsup: - Charlie you have really shown some real stunners :cool: - I also find something intriguing about the Ettrick knife … Here’s another Ettrick that I would like to share in this thread… All metal and made by Christopher Johnson ( Johnson Western Works / Sheffield)…. 3 7/8” closed and a nice hefty blade & knife, abit tarnished and needs some TLC but not anything aggressive.. Nice advertising on the mark side - “FH McLeod & Sons Glasgow” and their product: “McLeods Sheep Dip”… They must have been a competitor of Youngs Sheep Dip :) .. Anyway given the rich patina on the blades of this knife I am guessing sheep dip must put one heck of a patina on the blades ;)… Interestingly the blade is deep etched “Ettrick –CJ – Knife” (the CJ was inside a flag and was the Tm of C Johnson) - see photo… so no doubt an Ettrick with what seemingly looks like a curved edge rather than straight (unless some major sharpening was done on the blade which I don’t think was the case)… anyway just wanted to share this one as it is abit different..

kjj28K3.jpg

J6Buh2J.jpg

4lSSjQ6.jpg

XaqDtYB.jpg

AaNPg7b.jpg

TIUoRJ4.jpg

Cheers!
Lee

Fantastic example, Lee, thanks for showing it!

Yes, as far as I’m aware, the differentiation between the ‘Ettrick’ as a straight bladed pattern, and the ‘Peach Pruner’ with a curved blade comes from A. Wright and Sons, and may just be convenient marketing nomenclature.

Looking at the abundance of varied patterns in those late 19th century Sheffield catalogues, many of which may never have had names, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that in the past, Ettricks may have been made with both slightly curved and straight edged blades.

OK - I'm in! A utility Ettrick in HORN is now on my short list. It's a short list that could take a year to fulfill but it's on the list nonetheless ;) I am quite smitten with this elegant profiled working knife. :thumbsup: With or without sloganeering :rolleyes:

On the hunt... oh what fun :)

Ray

Nice one - good luck on your hunt!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

kjj28K3.jpg

J6Buh2J.jpg

4lSSjQ6.jpg

XaqDtYB.jpg

AaNPg7b.jpg

TIUoRJ4.jpg

Cheers!
Lee
Sorry I missed this one until now, Lee! Very nice knife!! And, an interesting development in the naming and definition of the Ettrick!!
What's in a name??
Agreeing with Chin's speculation, it seems that having a curved blade should not preclude a knife from the Ettrick nomenclature.
Cambertree Cambertree Chin, thanks for the interesting post and analysis!!
Nice find, Ray!!

Yes, as far as I’m aware, the differentiation between the ‘Ettrick’ as a straight bladed pattern, and the ‘Peach Pruner’ with a curved blade comes from A. Wright and Sons, and may just be convenient marketing nomenclature.

I'm not sure if that term came from A.Wright or not Chin, I'd have to do some investigation. In my experience there's more chance of a Sheffield cutler simply getting a pattern wrong, rather than coming up with an inventive name for a new pattern :rolleyes: The Ettrick pattern has been around a long time, and old cutlers I've known will often refer to what folks here would call a Wharncliffe blade as an Ettrick blade, even when that blade is on another pattern :thumbsup:

Had Cedrick (named after the teddy bear as seen above) on me these past few days. Carries easily and is a sweet little cutter - especially for slicing fruit to pop in your mouth size. Also a good carry for woods walking and sampling.

Last edited:
As promised - Here we go CEDRICK meets ETTRICK :thumbsup: :) I'm really very happy with this little
A Wright & Son Ettrick in Buffalo Horn.

View attachment 1093414

Nice luminous effect on both sides !

View attachment 1093415

I need to tune up the edge but otherwise a very nice example. I asked the vendor to look over their stock and select the best for me. They sent me a well made video featuring this one and a stag version. The buffalo horn was clearly the keeper (the vendor agreed that I was getting the best of the lot). Great service and a very fine ETTRICK.

Thanks for leading me to it you guys!

Ray
Filou says hello to Cedrick! :)
Filou.jpg

As promised - Here we go CEDRICK meets ETTRICK :thumbsup: :) I'm really very happy with this little
A Wright & Son Ettrick in Buffalo Horn.

View attachment 1093414

Nice luminous effect on both sides !

View attachment 1093415

I need to tune up the edge but otherwise a very nice example. I asked the vendor to look over their stock and select the best for me. They sent me a well made video featuring this one and a stag version. The buffalo horn was clearly the keeper (the vendor agreed that I was getting the best of the lot). Great service and a very fine ETTRICK.

Thanks for leading me to it you guys!

Ray

Had Cedrick (named after the teddy bear as seen above) on me these past few days. Carries easily and is a sweet little cutter - especially for slicing fruit to pop in your mouth size. Also a good carry for woods walking and sampling.

Cedrick the Ettrick -

View attachment 1131417

Ray

Filou says hello to Cedrick! :)
View attachment 1131703

Great pics guys :) You really got a nice one there Ray, sounds like great service too :thumbsup:

Back