What is the difference between good jigging and bad jigging?

Good jigging for me should be relatively deep, random and full coverage. I find that mostly on vintage knives although both Case and GEC occasionally achieve that look, with GEC I think Charlie's Navy knife was the best.
Bunch of vintage knives..

IMG_1720.jpeg IMG_1817.jpeg IMG_2279.jpeg IMG_2314.jpeg IMG_2345.jpeg IMG_2631.jpeg IMG_2665.jpeg

Last edited:
Some more favorites:

AOmxoZV.jpg

tFlE6o7.jpg

MMFsaIO.jpg

I agree with Dylan!! His first (Wright) example looks half-hearted at best
(Minimal number of cuts), while his custom handles have a full texture - much better!!
Jigging started out as an attempt to emulate Stag, before it branched into other art forms! Its primary use is to impart good grip on a tool handle. But Human critters are prone to embellishing their beloved tools, with pride!! And if you like what nature offers, Stag is the answer, but not always available. So enhanced Bone (or wood) can fill the bill!View attachment 1437082
GEC! Not Bad!! View attachment 1437083 View attachment 1437084
Case Bros. Stag for comparison View attachment 1437085
Robeson Scouts! Look like Rogers Bone (defunct company! View attachment 1437087 View attachment 1437088 View attachment 1437089
Joseph Rodgers - older Jigging and Beautiful!!

All subjective!!:cool:

"Half-hearted at best" is just how it is is Charlie! o_O :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

That Joseph Rodgers Lambsfoot is gorgeous :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black
@Old Engineer
Hey Jack and Harry!!
Great minds think alike!!:D

:D :thumbsup:

I am always interested to see old Sheffield jigging patterns, and will buy an otherwise worthless knife just to get an example. I picked up this old carving knife a couple of weeks back from a market-stall. The vendor, who is a friend, was happy to let me have it for nothing, but I was interested to have a look at the jigging, which I found quite unusual :thumbsup:

YZgD6n3.jpg

OOkJRTm.jpg

The blade on this old knife by C. Batty & Co is in such an awful shape, I'm not entirely sure if it was a Pruner or a large Sheepesfoot, but I like the classic Sheffield 'flat-cap' jigging :thumbsup:

YrXsHiE.jpg

2RmmS6p.jpg

Just 'Sheffield England' on the tang of this old Pruner, but attractive jigging in my opinion.

DxYM0MG.jpg

Does anyone want to discuss (or explain) how jigging was/is accomplished by both factory methods and custom making, historically and currently? I know, it's not a simple request but it's definitely of interest. I'm a woodworker and I (very occasionally) do "texturing" of surfaces using small rotary tools. There are others who do more than I and who are far more imaginative and proficient. See, for example, http://www.alstirt.com/Pages/Archives.html You have to search through Al's various series to see textures closer to what we call "jigging". Try, especially, "Square Series"

Last edited:
Great thread, I've actually never really given this much thought.

Generally I tend to think of the covers as a whole and not just the jigging itself, but looking at the pictures here I see aspects of jigging I've been unknowingly drawn to.

I’m not picky when it comes to looks and what’s more important to me is smooth transactions to the bolsters and no sharp edges left on the jigging. I like it to feel smooth to the touch.
Other then that I’m easy to please :)

Here is an example of what I would consider bad jigging but some may like it.

I recently got one like this, and at first I didn't know what to think but when I took a second look I really loved it and that feeling stuck. I would love to compare different examples in hand.

Always liked CASE Amber Bone and with this Big Stockman I was very lucky to land a killer:D Deep jigging right into the bolsters and a nice even dye. The Pile side is less groovy but still very satisfying, wish they would offer their Penknife in this.

oUdaKYi.jpg

Back