What is your dream KMG attachment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be cool to have a tool rest that would stay on the grinder and adjust to fit all available tooling arms. Including the rotary platen

1.jpg

2.jpg

I think it would be really cool if it could also swing out of the way to change tooling arms.

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

And it would also be cool if it could pivot to any angle up to about 30 degrees.

Oh, you know what else would be cool? If it could adjust so you could use it as a “Horizontal” grinder and use all your existing wheels, including the rotary platen and the small wheel attachment. That way you wouldn’t have to buy extra wheels (sorry Rob).
hg1.jpg

hg2.jpg

And if it would easily adjust left to right so you could use all 2” of the belt, which would be really cool to.
7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, Can you resize these pics to be a bit smaller? They're just to massive right now...

That said, your toorest-o-doom looks pretty sweet.

-d

nice. im going to have to make one of those or get someone to make me one once i can afford to get a kmg.

Ya know what makes those pictures look perfect?

My 22" LCD screen :D Those pics fit perfect:thumbup:

Awesome attachment.
Are ya gonna let Rob start making this or get in the business for yourself ;)

It would be really really cool if it would adjust to do radiused dovetails for bolsters using the small wheel attachment or the rotary platen.

rd1.jpg

rd2.jpg

If you could set it to do false edges on big Bowie knives with a 10” or 12” wheel, that would be cool.
10.jpg

11.jpg

fe1.jpg

fe2.jpg

But I think the coolest thing of all would be if you could also use it to hold your beverage of choice when it’s not being used.

Yup, that would be cool!

well noww thats too cool and i want one
but how bout this how easy is it to set to 90s liek is there a little detent on all the 90s so i dont have ot get the square out every time i have to move it
you know for doing folders and stuff

too cool none the less the drink holder option might not work on mine till the get the whole works bolted to the floor tho

That would work. Last night I was thinking of a small wheel attachment that would let you use in the horizontal position for finger grooves and choils. A tool rest to use with the current small wheel attachment so things would be perfectly square and low and behold you made it!

SWEET! The horizontal rest for doing the inside radius is outstanding! That's something I've wanted many times.:thumbup:
Matt Doyle

this is UBER slick ! Gotta make me one :) . From making me HMG
"New Jersey", I do have a spare square bar, suited for the
rest arm, left over . Can you post some pics, zooming in @ the rest
bar particulars - the joint, relative position as related to the tooling arm ?

Wow! That's amazing. I'm absolutely blown away. It's just an attachment, just a work rest, but what an ingenious way to get the most out of your KMG.

I've actually asked Rob a couple of times if he'd make a vertical workrest that could be used for profiling. Unfortunately he's way too busy making grinders to undertake a project like that but now that I see this I may want to ask him to buy your plans and start producing these. For what it's worth (not much I'm sure) I'd gladly pay a few hundred bucks for an attachment like this and I'm sure many other folks would too. That's just awesome... I bow to thee

Michael, That workrest is just AMAZING!!! Not only is it very cleverly thought out ...but it is also robustly built...and a very nice job at that!!

I'm impressed to say the least and sincerely thank you for posting these wonderful photos.

One of main design goals for the KMG was to provide a machine that is widely universal such that it will encourage guys to come up with specialty attachments and fixtures for their specific requirements. I'm so glad to see this.

Very nicely done!!

-Rob

So does this mean there will be a new attachment in the works?? Please say yes!

I had the privilege and pleasure to act as Michael's sounding board through the development of this wonderful accessory over the past several months. I finally got to actually see the tool arm portion at the Badger Knife Show a few weeks back.

It is certainly the most versatile and multi-functioned work rest I have ever seen for a knife grinder. The mix of understanding both the knifemaking process and the KMG grinder is impressive. I think that as time goes on there will be more and more ideas for how to utilize the multi-articulated toolarm than are even displayed here. I can hardly wait to get around it and put it through it's paces. I find that as I age I no longer have the fine control or vision of once upon a time and would welcome a tool like this to achieve accuracies no longer possible freehand. This certainly can boost a KMG to a new level of function.

I also want to comment on the experience of acting as Mike's listener. I am not a tool or mechanical designer; those talents are simply not in my skillset. It was pretty exciting to be talking on the phone while looking at emailed drawings and hear someone tackle a design issue, working through it with a mixture of logic and knowledge and creativity. I count this as a real learning experience. Thanks, Michael!

Cool piece of work on a very cool device. I'm impressed. :thumbup:

freakin' amazing stuff, Mike! :eek: :D :thumbup:

Sure hope this makes it into production some time.....soon!

Ya done good there son. You have just solved many of my "I Wish...." lists.

Now, either you or Rob, or a combined effort between the both of you, need to make it available to the rest of the world.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back