What is your favorite budget Cold Steel product?

^ Good stuff! I just bought an extra handle for my Frontier Hawk. I'm cutting it down to see how a shorter handle feels.

Thanks.
I cut off four inches of the above Hawk handle. I wouldnt want it any longer than it is now/in the pics above. Works for me.

Being used to a hatchet, I was/am pleasently surprised at how well the cheap Hawk handles/works. Its able to punch above its weight IMO.

That's easy my CS Marauder. Does every thing a big knife is needed to do for light to medium duty stuff (what I call medium people call "Hard"), fine enough blade for bushy craft stuff and tough enough I don't bother carrying several fishing knives any more. My Gerber folder with a gut hook does the smaller stuff that needs to be done in marine settings, aka fishing trips. No more floppy Poko's any more! Glad it broke my "Traditional" blades mentality.

Thanks.
I cut off four inches of the above Hawk handle. I wouldnt want it any longer than it is now/in the pics above. Works for me.

Being used to a hatchet, I was/am pleasently surprised at how well the cheap Hawk handles/works. Its able to punch above its weight IMO.

Yup, I just cut 4.5" off. Feels great; still can use two hands if I want to without feeling too awkward.

I think the recon 1 in XHP is a freakin bargain. Does that count as a budget cold steel product? If not then I guess my brooklyn shorty bat...it was cheap and it's pretty strong.

I think the recon 1 in XHP is a freakin bargain. Does that count as a budget cold steel product? If not then I guess my brooklyn shorty bat...it was cheap and it's pretty strong.

By that, you'll have to include the Master Hunter in 3V which is around the same price as the Recon 1.

I really like the whole Krupp line for fixed blades (Finn Bear, Peace Makers, Canadian Belt Knife, etc.), and the Tuff Lite as far as folders go.

The tuff lite is a nice design, lightweight, sharp. Perfect for cutting cardboard
ee706524142ac1da1e042e3cd35f62b8.jpg

I find it to be the ultimate in irony that I tend to dismiss my C.S. hawks as secondary beaters, as opposed to my fancy pants axes. So they get tossed in the trunk or whatever as back ups for wood processing. Then you realize that the little buggers tend to get a lot more use than you intended. The Frontier is a featherweight, it weighs nothing, and will definitely speed up fire making a great deal. My modded Rifleman is much better at splitting though.

Last edited:
I love that Cold Steel sells budget, high value items, along with their pricier offerings. For $35 or less, what is your favorite Cold Steel?

For me, it's a close call between machetes and hawks. I'm gonna go with hawks, since there are many inexpensive machetes around.

hawkfeather.jpg

Hi dogstar,
Hope you are doing well buddy. I must say that you have a great choice . But if I come to my choice, it is Pendleton Hunters. Over the years Pendleton Hunters have become enormously popular, and while we think they are reasonably priced, many ask for a more affordable Pendleton that will accommodate just about anyone's budget.

So you can bring together Lloyd and design a new knife we called Pendleton Lite Hunter. In appearance it strongly resembles the rest of the family with a drop point blade, modest guard, hollowed bolster area and a flared butt to aid retention. The only major changes were the adoption of more affordable German 4116 Stainless steel.

slider1.jpg

There are many aluminium manufacturers which produce stainless steel and aluminium parts like metal sheets and rods. The stainless steel and aluminium products can resist corrosion. They dont discolor and stain easily. Some of the aluminium manufacturers are-

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewdepaula/2014/05/31/aluminum-inferior-to-steel-not-on-the-2015-ford-f-150/#7fe6b7e96878
http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/14/news/companies/boeing-lightest-metal/
http://www.clintonaluminum.com/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/aluminum/

You can check out here how it is being manufactured -
[video]https://www.youtube.com/user/ClintonAluminum[/video]

In testing it gets straight A's in the field as it is equally adept at field dressing and skinning, held a decent edge, and is easy to sharpen, and proved to be tough as nails.Its price is $25.99 which is very affordable.
If you're looking for a very affordable hunting/utility knife that comes with a good, pouch-style sheath and delivers more than your money's worth in performance and value look no further than the Pendleton Lite.

Thanks in advance buddy :)

I have seen vague references to the Mackinac and Lone Star being discontinued. So I grabbed a Lone Star and the SK5 Shanghai Warrior, I already had a Mack. The Shanghai may not be ideal, but with some techniques I can see it as a decent wood processor. It should be great fun to hack some wood up with it.

I have seen vague references to the Mackinac and Lone Star being discontinued. So I grabbed a Lone Star and the SK5 Shanghai Warrior, I already had a Mack. The Shanghai may not be ideal, but with some techniques I can see it as a decent wood processor. It should be great fun to hack some wood up with it.

Nail nick or thumbstud?

Its gleaned that the Broken Skull will be replacing the Lone Star, atleast. Something in the SCSA Podcast.

i got a new Lone Star Hunter for $25 from THE popular online shopping site, so it's now my new fav budget CS folder. what's not to like for $25.

BTW, for those that are interested, that site is still listing the thumbstud Lone Star Hunter for around $26. It's a steal!

Nail nick or thumbstud?

Its gleaned that the Broken Skull will be replacing the Lone Star, atleast. Something in the SCSA Podcast.

Everything I get is thumb stud. I usually have something else in hand. And I can never just drop a knife in my pocket outdoors as they are always full off dirt, grit etc. from metal detecting, even after being washed. I try to rabbit ear the pockets before washing and it helps a bit, but there is always some there. I don't care much about an Opinel full of crud and grinding but it irritates me to have a SAK packed with crud. I actually went to a Victorinox belt hangar with chain and use the shorter chain to drop a knife in pocket, but not have it bottom out in the crud. Kind of a pet peeve of mine, I want my knives sharp, and I want them functionally clean, if a folder...................... Because I was fortunate enough to be focused again on knives during this steel transition I was able to load up with nice deals. As for the Broken Skull, I will likely grab one in orange and use it for out of town carry. As I have a LOT of quiet grey man knives for city carry. I tend to frown on bright shiny clips for this reason. I just want it kept quiet with no eye magnet clips. And luckily enough C.S. made a wide variation of folders with the black clips. The Broken Skull also strikes me as being along the lines of the Code 4. A nice solid knife with the new higher end steel that is more affordable than the rest of the lines. Almost an intro or gateway knife into the newer steel folders. And I see nothing wrong with that. Kind of a win/win for the consumer.

i got a new Lone Star Hunter for $25 from THE popular online shopping site, so it's now my new fav budget CS folder. what's not to like for $25.

BTW, for those that are interested, that site is still listing the thumbstud Lone Star Hunter for around $26. It's a steal!

I paid $62. before tax and shipping. That's how it is up here. Oil prices have tanked our dollar and cutting tools are always pricier up here.

I paid $62. before tax and shipping. That's how it is up here. Oil prices have tanked our dollar and cutting tools are always pricier up here.

That's about what I paid for my Mackinac. Up here, there aren't many options for a good budget folder (which, in my mind is sub $40). I guess out west it's not much better than it is over on this side.

That's about what I paid for my Mackinac. Up here, there aren't many options for a good budget folder (which, in my mind is sub $40). I guess out west it's not much better than it is over on this side.

On the other hand even at $62.00 I see value. Were else can I get such an over built and handsome (to my eye), and usefully tough folder for the same bux ? I suppose the Ontario's are up there, but I wouldn't get the Tri-Ad lock. No bud, not complaining really, just a little surprised and envious perhaps, now and then at those deals. :) Then I stop and think about what the Aussies etc. pay, and I feel lucky.

Back