What is your "Icing on the cake" ?

ms3902

Gold Member
I'm sure that we have all heard "Well, that's just icing on the cake". My grandfather used to say this to me all the time. His favorite was "I've got tomorrow off work, going fishing will just be icing on the cake". So what is your icing when it comes to knives? For me it is a knife without half-stops. I will still buy them if they do have half-stops, but the "icing on the cake" is when they are not there. For me the smoothness that comes from a rounded tang is just very enjoyable. No sudden jerk half way through closing my knife. These two have long been favorites for this very reason.

Having an even grind that includes the tip, too many of my knives have I needed to spend more time on the tip to get the sharpness matching the rest of the blade. That and being made in the U.S.A by a company with a good customer service. Those are the "icing on the cake" for me.

A smooth and crisp pull, around a 6 or so out of 10, and no blade rubbing.

Connor

Centered blade with no play or gaps. I can live with them if it's minor but if none are present its "icing on the cake":thumbup:

Easy open notches! I love their convenience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slight gaps between springs and liners don't bother me much (and maybe they're even good for drainage and ventilation :rolleyes:), but I consider no gaps at all as icing on the cake.

- GT

Having an even grind that includes the tip, too many of my knives have I needed to spend more time on the tip to get the sharpness matching the rest of the blade. That and being made in the U.S.A by a company with a good customer service. Those are the "icing on the cake" for me.
That is a big pet peeve of mine, the 14 that I just got had a terrible grind on the tip. It's a pain to fix it sometimes but once I'm done putting in the work I feel like the knife is "mine".

might be stag for me. i have a soft spot for good stag handles
This is another big one for me, hands down my favorite handle material.

Centered blade with no play or gaps. I can live with them if it's minor but if none are present its "icing on the cake":thumbup:
These make up the sugar sprinkles for me. :D

Smooth pull with no half-stop and a crisp snap!
You are speaking my language here, there is something so enjoyable when you have a nice snap and no half-stop.

Thought of a second icing....(well come on, sometimes chocolate is nice, sometimes walnut..)

The pins are all flush or all domed no eyesore sink-hole in naked contrast (GEC take note....)

I'd have to go with "really good stag." Most of the time I prefer bone or wood because it's so rare to find stag that's of even thickness, good pattern, and similar on both sides. But when you find a stag knife that's well done, it's a beautiful thing.

I have to be with guitarist and ms here,
A nice grind with a good distal taper to a fine point is my icing on the cake

Hey MS3902, I see I'm not the only that has got a 14 with a bad grind in the tip. I like some of the knives that Case puts out, but the one thing that bugs the heck out of me is they tumble all of their blades and so you get this rounded non-pointy tip. I guess that's another "icing on the cake", having a tip that is actually pointy. GEC does a good keeping the points pointy.

If I can hold it up to a light and not see any light that's my icing on the cake...

Clip points are my favorite but a nice cut swedge is icing on the cake. Oh that and book matched scales:thumbup:

A well-sharpened factory edge with even bevels that I don't need to significantly sharpen prior to use.

Back