What is your "Icing on the cake" ?

When a knife has gnarly well matched stag and a punch.

When I don't have to file the kick on a new knife because the blade tip is proud of the handle...

It seems to me that most of the things brought up here are basic quality and should be included in the fit and finish of the knife, but I do know that companies send out products that really should be thought of as "seconds". To me the icing should be some exceptional scales/covers. When the wood really pops, or the bone or stage is just right. Things like springs that are not flush or scales that don't meet the bolsters are more reasons for a return not something to be accepted and be happy when its done right. Its not like we are talking about $10 knives from a dime store. We are talking about $50-$200 knives or even more. Quality should be part of the knife for those prices.

I agree with you Driften !!!!! A product that you buy should come to you just as you expect it !!!!!! PERIOD......... That is all !!! Any Icing On the Cake would be being able to buy another one just like it if you like the product after you get it. That does not appear to be always possible with GEC because of their popularity and the amount of the supply. Case in point is the TC Barlows and 77 Barlows .

Harry

Fluted bolsters - check. Long pull - check. Tight back springs - check. Smooth rounded tangs - check. Gorgeous wood - check. Nearly perfectly book matched wood grain - ICING ON THE CAKE! My crummy camera and even crummier photography skills don't begin to show how beautifully matched the covers are on this 26 but they are spectacular.

I have the same knife with same covers. It's got to be in my top 3 favorite knives. Just like with you this model checks all my boxes. Amazingly I believe this knife is still available from at least one retailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I think a really well done swedge would be the 'extra' for me. Not necessary but lovely to look at.

Price. I don't know how many times I've purchased an inexpensive knife, got it in my hand, and thought "Wow, this is a nice knife! The low price is just the icing on the cake".

Rough Riders are a good example but I've encountered several others.

Back