What is your ideal Swiss Army Knife?

I'm not saying "perfect SAK" because no such thing exists. I'm asking what you would want if you were able to get the factory to put together the exact configuration of tools you want in your knife.

I would have them add the inline phillips/magnifier layer to a Ranger. I think that would do it for me. But I would want the old magnifier, not the new one. While I'm at it, I guess I'd have them ditch the grey plastic piece and replace it with a thin stainless steel piece. I never liked the idea of having a plastic tool in a swiss army knife. And yes, that includes the toothpick.

Oh and I'd also want a few alox Ramblers, naturally. 😏

"Bring back the 84mm scissors!"

must have: large blade, scissors, saw, and move the punch/reamer/awl inline on the top.
I also prefer the multi use corkscrew over the single use phillips screwdriver.

The punch/reamer/awl on the back side isn't has handy/conducive to use.

the yeoman. and a time keeper. and a yeoman with a watch (water resistant) on it.

my yeoman gets a lot of carry, so does my compact. I am not a fan of watches on my wrist, but spend time where cellphones dont work but deadlines still exist.

This is a great question. I just started getting into SAKs. I agree with your Ranger plus magnify and inline philips. I just bought an Explorer and thinking about replacing blades with metal file. Then I'll replace the opener layer with the combo opener and small blade (ideally the electrician's blade but having hard time finding). I might try to grind down large blade into smaller sheepsfoot blade. Oh ya, and plus scales for pen and pin. Also, need to add corkscrew screwdriver and tinder with ferro rod replacing toothpick. 🥵

A 3.3” version of a Pioneer X, with a Philips head driver instead of the reamer/punch.
OR … a Cadet with scissors, and a Philips driver on the nail file. Kind of almost the same thing.

The Compact Tinker

uZqhx6X.jpg

SOaLOBM.jpg

I want a 91mm SAK that violates the laws of physics by incorporating both a small blade and a Pioneer inline awl in the same position. I want both of them. Preferably on a Climber/Super Tinker, Explorer, or Huntsman/Fieldmaster.

I might be willing to sacrifice the can opener to make space for the inline awl, especially on the Explorer (the inline Philips driver compensates for the loss of the flat driver on the can opener).

I also want all SAKs to be made with user-serviceable fasteners rather than pins that have to be drilled out. Then I could make my own perfect SAK with much less swearing involved!

I’d like to see the Explorer with a swap of the scissors for a saw. I mean really, an Explorer may have to cut down trees to raft a river into uncharted territory. On the 84mm frame I’d like to see the Walker get a couple backside tools.

Was it the salesman that was essentially an 84mm super tinker?
I’d pick up a few of those

Back