What is your ideal Swiss Army Knife?

I have been carrying SAKs for about 30 years. Primarily huntsmans or explorers (usually plus models the last 15 years). But my current alox Farmer X is probably my favorite. Seems like I have been carrying it about 1.5 years. I don't think you can been an alox model with blade, sissors, and saw, plus everything else standard.

I just moved and own a home for the first time. There are just a lot of little jobs for a pocket knife during this time. My Camper has not let me down during this time when other tools were still packed in boxes. This really speaks to the utility and quality of every SAK, no matter which model you choose. My recent experience has renewed my appreciation and faith in SAKs. They are just awesome knives.

Factory cadet x. Or the companion model if they'd re lease that 2023 special edition as a standard model or plus scales. I want the nail file in place of the small blade. The cut style file goes all the way to the edge and is far more useful than the textured which has a border.

The picnicker in a nicer set of scales.

Just so I could have something really classy to take to parties. And open bottles and cut sandwiches and stuff.

I have the forester in wood that does pretty much that. But I don't really need the saw. And one less layer is nicer in a pair of jeans.

This tends to be the knife I will take on trips, staying at hotels or whatever. I am quite often a ,buy my food at the supermarket make sandwiches or do a plowmans lunch kind of guy.

Rather than buy takeaway all the time and spend a lot of money on bad food.

Last edited:
Incidentally, if anyone knows what it’s called I’d love to know.
The closest I can find to it is the Evolution 511. The main differences are that the 511 has contoured scales, a non-locking main blade, and no serrations. Other than that, the tool sets are identical. The tool set is also very similar to the 91mm Victorinox Deluxe Tinker.

I think I may finally be getting mine in the mail tomorrow! The alox Bushcrafter. 93 mm alox scales. Main blade, saw and straight awl. That simple. Excited to finally get it.

I'm not saying "perfect SAK" because no such thing exists. I'm asking what you would want if you were able to get the factory to put together the exact configuration of tools you want in your knife.

I would have them add the inline phillips/magnifier layer to a Ranger. I think that would do it for me. But I would want the old magnifier, not the new one. While I'm at it, I guess I'd have them ditch the grey plastic piece and replace it with a thin stainless steel piece. I never liked the idea of having a plastic tool in a swiss army knife. And yes, that includes the toothpick.

Oh and I'd also want a few alox Ramblers, naturally. 😏

"Bring back the 84mm scissors!"
Black handled sportsman with a back-side Phillips driver instead of the std corkscrew.

Gotta say that overall, my favorite SAK model has to be my Traveller Lite. I love every model, let's not pretend, but the Traveller Lite has virtually everything needed to handle virtually any chore in my daily life, from office to garage to home to going out on a weekend with friends.

qZ8qwQH.jpg

This knife has done a lot of work, far more than any of my Swisschamps have (another model I love). Just a phenomenal companion for every day adventures.

Edit: Not all the tools are on display, quite a lot more, just wanted to show a few of those I use the most!

111mm alox, Soldier/Trekker with blackened blades, electrician blade instead of can opener.

A 4 layer with the dual edged Wharncliffe they make plus the dual edge scimitat shape,they have madel very similar to the normal blade with more to it 1, scissors and saw 2 openers 3 a hookbill and penknife 4. Backtools being the awl, Phillips, hook and chisel.

White graphic scales pls

Back