What is your ideal Swiss Army Knife?

-Large Blade
-Small Blade
-Large flat driver/cap lifter (preferably with sharpened inner edge as found on the Soldier)
-Small flat driver/can opener
-Scissors (honestly the implement that I use most often on any SAK)
-Awl, preferably the 93mm inline version (sacrifices sewing hole in favor of greater reach and better drilling and scraping ability). I'd also be interested in the triangular version which was fitted to older 91mm models and which required a cut-out in the scale.
-Tweezers, toothpick, and straight pin
-Magnifying glass (not mandatory, but very useful; combines well with tweezers and straight pin for splinter removal)
-Corkscrew or Philips driver - I don't have a strong preference either way, but the corkscrew MUST have the mini-driver (for comfort if nothing else).

The Explorer, Climber, and Super Tinker have most of the implements above, so they come the closest to being my ideal SAK. The Pioneer X isn't far off either, except that it lacks the scale tools. I'd like to see a cellidor version of the Pioneer X.

I just got a Hiker Wood, it has a set up I am almost 100% satisfied with as a EDC
1.Large+Small blade
2. Flat+Philips screwdriver
3.Canopener and Caplifter
4.Sewing owl
Everything works and I should be 100% but...

I would switch the small pen blade for a scissor, and I would change the sewing owl for the back mounted sharpened drilling owl.
And I think it could actually be done...
If I remove the Sewing owl from the center back and put a SD scissor there, and remove the penblade and put the drilling owl there....
It´s not ideal to have the scissors center mounted, but for the tasks it will perform I think it can work ok

One I forgot: make the Rally with the keychain attachment at the other end. All (for me) the functional utility of the Rambler at a price even below that of the Classic SD.

I recently ended a 3 yr EDC of the 91mm Ranger. The only tools I never used were the wood saw and the chisel. So the 91mm Mountaineer is near perfect. I would only add the Fine Screwdriver that usually accompanies the woodsaw to the File/metal saw layer.

One I forgot: make the Rally with the keychain attachment at the other end. All (for me) the functional utility of the Rambler at a price even below that of the Classic SD.
Older 58mm parts were such that all of the tools could be made to open in the same direction. Newer ones would need trimming.

Agreed about swapping the key ring side. Unfortunate that some of the otherwise best little knives have this issue. Blade opening toward the ring is a huge pain.

Take an Explorer, make the large blade 14C28N and locking. Add another layer and add the wood saw. Since we added another layer, we have room on the back. Let's add the 4mm chisel. Let's do a nice red micarta or G10 with Vic emblem inset somehow.

I would have them add the inline phillips/magnifier layer to a Ranger. I think that would do it for me. But I would want the old magnifier, not the new one.
...aaaaaand done. 😁
swiss-spoon-01.jpg

I just finished building this SAK last night. 🎉🥳

I think the closest to ideal for me is the Explorer.
I think it's the thinnest SAK I can get that has the inline Philips and scissors without too much fluff.

Farmer X with orange alox scales...one can hope

Back