What is your ideal Swiss Army Knife?

I think the closest to ideal for me is the Explorer.
I think it's the thinnest SAK I can get that has the inline Philips and scissors without too much fluff.
Yeoman. It's basically a 3 layer Explorer. Just imagine if you were to add the inline Phillips layer to a Compact. That's exactly what a Yeoman is. Naturally it's a discontinued model... :rolleyes:

Yeoman. It's basically a 3 layer Explorer. Just imagine if you were to add the inline Phillips layer to a Compact. That's exactly what a Yeoman is. Naturally it's a discontinued model... :rolleyes:
Yeah, that's the only problem. When they do come up, they're way more than I'm willing to spend, even if it is the "perfect" SAK for me.

Yeah, that's the only problem. When they do come up, they're way more than I'm willing to spend, even if it is the "perfect" SAK for me.
Build it! 😃

1. Buy a used Compact and take it apart.

2. Then take apart your Explorer and reuse the longer pins from the Explorer to assemble the scissors/hook layer from the Compact. Make sure to use the hook from the Compact with the nail file texture on it.

3. Assemble the inline Phillips layer on top of the scissors layer.

4. Assemble the knife/combo tool layer from the Compact on top of the inline Phillips layer.

You just built a Yeoman with a centered Phillips layer! Having the Phillips layer in the center makes it more comfortable to use and it also solves a common issue with the Phillips driver striking the aluminum sideplate when the driver is closing.

5. Trim the brass rods and peen them. This is NOT difficult. I used to think peening was hard but it's actually easy.

6. Test, re-test, and re-re-test all the tools to make sure there's no sideplay. When you're satisfied, add the plastic scales and you're done.

Assembling a SAK and peening it is a lot less difficult than you'd think. Trust me, the hardest part in all of this is simply taking the SAKs apart. That can be frustrating and stressful if you've never done it before, or if you've only done it a few times, but it does get easier with repetition.

Don't try to assemble the knife layer first. It's needlessly difficult. The knife layer should always be last.

I built mine, I would add that you might want to take apart an online auction site explorer model first to figure out your tool set and practice the peening and drilling. I built what I called an old man, which is just 2 layers, the knife layer and the phillips/magnifying glass. Getting the pins drilled out without destroying the collars was the most difficult for me. Lots of you tube help available also.

Cheers,

I built mine, I would add that you might want to take apart an online auction site explorer model first to figure out your tool set and practice the peening and drilling. I built what I called an old man, which is just 2 layers, the knife layer and the phillips/magnifying glass. Getting the pins drilled out without destroying the collars was the most difficult for me. Lots of you tube help available also.

Cheers,
It sounds like you built a Scientist but without the combo tool or the key ring attachment.

For the "collars" aka bushings, I like to start with a 1/16ths drill bit to make a small starter hole, because you can easily center a small hole if it starts out off-center. First I'll do the 2 outside pivots. Once you have the 1/16th holes partway drilled and centered, then you can switch to a 3/32nds drill bit. This size is smaller than the diameter of the 2 outside pivots, but still large enough to break the bushings free, which gives you a slight margin of error. You can just drill straight down until the bushing pops off.

Next I'll file down one side of the back side tools pivot. You can drill this a tiny bit too, since it helps loosen it, but don't go very deep and be careful not to damage the aluminum sideplate.

With all 3 pivots free, you can punch them out with a small nail. You'll be left with only one brass pin in the center. The last pin doesn't need to be drilled. All of the tools and springs can be removed at this point, leaving only one pin holding all the aluminum plates/liners. From here you can push everything to one end of the pin and slide the bushing on the other end down away from the pin head. With the bushing out of the way, you can simply file off the head of the pin to finish disassembling the SAK. 😄

I agree that it's good to watch modding videos on youtube. I did it and I think it was very helpful. 👍

I would say my evo grip with philips, scissor and saw ( forgot model but I think S18)

So far I've used every single tool

Replaced tooth pick with a pin tool I made for opening sim slots and damaged cd drives

One example is I used the wood saw at work to cut a wooden wedge from an old wood pallet for a screen arm clamp

Last the nail file / cleaner works well as a laptop screwdriver
The tip has the same geometry as a rambler philips

My opinion has changed somewhat. Now I think it's this:
best.jpg

It's 3 layers. Side by side, it's the exact same thickness as a Climber.

Knife blade, combo tool, corkscrew,
metal saw/file, awl,
inline phillips, magnifier.

Pressurized ink pen, mini screwdriver, tweezers and toothpick, tiny straight pin.

This was not a build that I thought of on my own. I saw someone else posted it on another forum, and I liked it so much that I built my own copy of theirs. I posted about it in the SAK modding topic a while back and I think I even included a link to the post that I copied it from.

It's just a Scientist with a metal saw/file added, but if you take the time to really think about it, the toolset in this custom SAK has nearly everything that you might need in only 3 layers. It may not have everything you might want, but needs and wants are two very different things.

Prime example: if you have to cut through a piece of wood or plastic, then you might want to use a wood saw, but a metal saw will also work to cut wood or plastic in a pinch. It doesn't work in reverse. Wood saws can't really cut metal, so if you can only choose one type of saw then it's better to have the metal one. It may not be exactly what you'd want to use to cut wood or plastic, but at least it's going to do the job if you need it to.

Another example: you might want to have scissors, but in most cases a knife will work too. Scissors are easier and better for certain tasks, but a knife can usually get you by.

Need to trim your fingernails? The metal file is pretty aggressive. It'll work. It's even got a nail cleaner on the end.

The one area that I think is really lacking in something like this is a sturdy pry tool. The combo tool is a bit thinner than I'd like for prying. In every other area I think this is the best and most versatile tool configuration for the least amount of thickness. If you're trying to min/max, then it's hard to imagine how you could do much better than this setup without creating new tools or making improvements to the existing ones.

My hat goes off to the guy who thought this one up and shared it.

I'm changing my vote as well.

Tinker Small, with modified Cadet scales, and small blade replaced by current Cadet nail file. Covers all my bases.

That seems to be something everyone wants. A small tinker with scissors would be very handy.
They used to make one like that called the Salesman. It's discontinued but that would have been a great one to get!

I've been giving this a bit more thought...what would be the SAK I would carry for the rest of my life if I could customize it to my needs. After much consideration, here's my list:
-Alox 84mm
-Main blade
-Can opener
-Cap lifter
-Inline Phillips screwdriver
-Scissors

I think this would balance the tools I need with the ability to carry it all the time.

My ideal SAK would be one that I could open without having to use metal metal tools after breaking both thumbnails trying to open the @#$%&* knife!

I've made peace with the fact there is no perfect SAK for me; it is situation dependent. A Huntsman is pretty much perfect for any short walk/hike in the woods. A Huntsman with pliers would be perfect for long hikes and camping (where the pliers can be used to handle hot stuff around the fire). Around town, an Alumnus would likely be perfect if I could find one (for a non-excessive price). Without that, I rotate between a Compact, Sportsman, and Waiter.

I would say my evo grip with philips, scissor and saw ( forgot model but I think S18)

So far I've used every single tool

Switched to my Fieldmaster similar to above but thinner/flatter

Dont have the nail file I used for laptop screws but have a the small blade which is very useful
Also finding use for the parcel hook

Back