What is your sharpest blade?

For me, it would be my new Opinel. I did the modding myself, and I have given in a near-mirror polish and lacquered the handle since this pic was taken.

When it arrived, it was BADLY blunted. The last inch or so was completely flat. But with some TLC and plenty of honing oil, it is my first knife I have gotten this sharp. I am literally able to whittle hair. Like, make tiny feather-sticks with it. Do you have that one knife thats sharpness never ceases to amaze you?

Currently...

Folders - My GEC 23's/Carbon Opinels
Fixed - My Laminated Moras

A hand forged blade in 52100 by Lee Reeves, a now retired Oklahoma bladesmith and farrier.

That thing takes a wicked edge.

Close to that is a Ray Kirk necker, also in 52100.

My Remington/Camillus peanut and my old Christy knife are pocket razors. I think the thin blades are the thing. Both take a scary sharp edge that just grabs the finger prints. The Christy knife blade is as thin as a single edge razor blade in a box cutter. The Remington is good old 1095 that gets a scary edge off a coffee mug bottom and a stropping on an old belt.

21414005196_66735b5f56_c.jpg

For sharpest right out of the box, i find Rough Riders are the most consistent in having a shaving sharp edge. And these edges hold up well and do a lot of cutting before a touch up is needed.
For fixed blades i too find the very inexpensive Frost Mora's arrive extremely sharp.
It is kind of odd that both these brands are about the cheapest (lowest price) that you can buy.
kj

This is a Buck 112 that I carried off and on while in the Navy. I've managed to hone it over the years into a "Gahoozle Hatch" slicing machine. It's so sharp that the slightest opening of the blade makes all paper in sight shred itself in a shear panic.

xqPfW4W.jpg

This is a Lakota Fin Wing. It is very sharp. It'll shave a pigs butt so close that it takes at least a month for the pigs bristly hair to grow back.

6vlqOjm.jpg

KJ is right about the RRs sensationally sharp out of the box.

Just at the moment it's a Japanese kitchen knife :eek::D and a Chambriard le compact sandvik in Ebony from France.

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple of 30-year-old hair-splitters -- namely, a Case #2159 Hammerhead and a #34OT Middleman Old Timer -- that seem to get sharper with age. ;) The sharpest knife I've pulled out of its box recently, though, straight from the 'maker, is this Arno Bernard 2015 Featured. It's positively :eek: .

IMG_1446a.jpg

Tom @ KnivesShipFree

Last edited:
Douk-douk, taken to full flat with a 15* microbevel. It'll easily shave my face, no mean feat when many a straight razor can't do it without needing at least stropped partway through.

A Stan Buzbek custom with O1 steel, I sharpened it all the way to 8k on my water stones and it is stunningly sharp!

I'd have to say the two knives I have, that were made by Jerry Halfrich, are sharper then anything I've ever experienced.

Ed, I've got one of those Lakota Fin Wings too. What a nice little knife for the field and stream. Came with a real nice leather belt sheath too. Mine was super sharp too, if I remember correctly. I got it sometime in the '80s, I think.

You're right Gary. The sheath is very nice. I haven't really shaved a pigs butt:rolleyes: with it but I'm sure it'd do it in a flash.

PdDvHUa.jpg

I'm no great sharpener by any means but over use and time my Presidential's main spear has developed a very keen edge that loves to reach out and draw blood from the unwary finger that tests it (still haven't got the tip just quite fine enough though). However, while the spear is a carbon steel lightsaber; the little secondary wharncliffe is the one to watch out for. None of my blades demand the respect that mean little sliver does, when the breeze hits it just right there is a thin whine that some say is the very air molecules being split on it's edge. ;)

X-acto after stropping with 1 micron paste. Doesn't hold it long but sure is sharp for a little while.

Impossible to choose between my No7 Opinel Carbon and Mora Companion Carbon, both take a wicked sharp edge real easy.

The Opinel isn't my favourite folder, but when a real sharp edge is called for it always delivers and carbon traditionals are thin on the ground this side of the pond so choice is limited.

Im still learning how to sharpen but these two came hair popping straight from the factory. I actually was surprised. Enough so, that Ive actually posted this a few times last week.

Back