What kitchen knife do you use most frequently?

Out of all my kitchen knives I mostly use my Shun Kaji santoku but all of these in the picture I use according to what Im cutting up.

1.Masamoto Ao-ko Layered Steel Hongasumi Yanagi
2.Shun Kaji santoku
3.Shun Ken Onion
4.Shun Classic Chinese cleaver

Kitchen.jpg

It seems that nobody has mentioned the chiefs knife I think beats all (I said I think) Wusthof. I have several Wusthof knives in my kitchen and think they are tits.

Sabatier 8' chefs knife. It does it all, but I still have fun playing with the other knives.

A nice Shun (Ken Onion) ... the 8" kitchen. That thing is a laser. AND it holds its edge.

:) some of the guys that have posted might have tried over 50 knives/ brands/makers and might beg to differ a bit

really tho its all about how you use the the knives and the style cook you are as always it everyone likes different thing and thats why this thread is so fun

It seems that nobody has mentioned the chiefs knife I think beats all (I said I think) Wusthof. I have several Wusthof knives in my kitchen and think they are tits.

Is anyone using MAC knives? They seem to be higher hardness on the RC scale. My everyday knife is a Wusthof Classic and I am so tired of touching it up after every single use. I would love to find a kitchen knife that has an edge as durable as any of my mid range folders. When I have to cut up harder foods, such as baby back ribs, I grab my Sebenza or Spyderco Military because I know that they will retain the edge after use. Even light use of my Wustof takes away the sharpness and I keep it at a very durable 40 degree angle (inclusive).

Is anyone using MAC knives? They seem to be higher hardness on the RC scale. My everyday knife is a Wusthof Classic and I am so tired of touching it up after every single use. I would love to find a kitchen knife that has an edge as durable as any of my mid range folders. When I have to cut up harder foods, such as baby back ribs, I grab my Sebenza or Spyderco Military because I know that they will retain the edge after use. Even light use of my Wustof takes away the sharpness and I keep it at a very durable 40 degree angle (inclusive).

Yup. See the first post in the thread. I have various knives from classic german chef knives to chinese cleaver, and find that I use my MAC most. Not necessarily the sharpest, finest or most beautiful. It just seems to have the right balance of features for what I do in the kitchen. Versatile, and durable. But you do need to be careful, as the edge does chip if abused.

Sadly, one of four cheap-o Japanese made serrated blade steak knives my wife and I got for a wedding gift over 29 years ago. Wish I could get another set of them.

Sadly, one of four cheap-o Japanese made serrated blade steak knives my wife and I got for a wedding gift over 29 years ago. Wish I could get another set of them.
Gosh, no need to be sad about it. It sounds like they have given three decades of useful service.
We too, have a set of serrated steak knives (victorinox, I believe), that we got as a wedding gift nearly 30yrs ago. They just "keep on ticking"...and getting daily use.

My favorite kitchen knife is my Cutco 7" Santoku Knife! My husband purchased the white handle option for me. I LOVE IT!!

Furi 10" Cooks knife.

http://www.knifemerchant.com/productPicture.asp?productID=1697

Great value for the money. I used to cook professionally and I went from Henkel to Wustoff to Furi and wouldn't go back. I also used a lot of other mid to high range brands and wouldn't trade this knife for any of them. It is well balanced and comfortable in the hand. Easy to clean and sharpen. Holds an edge quite well and NEVER slips in your hand when it's wet.

Actually, the ones I use most are my Victorinox paring knives. Sharp, cheap, and generally an all-around great deal.

- Mark

Yup, I have that knife, and the Victorinox boning knife, and the 8 inch Chef's knife, which is the one I use most. Terrific knives, fantastic values.

Shun 8 inch classic chefs knife. My first good kitchen knife, only one so far, but thinking of picking up another one soon

Yup, I have that knife, and the Victorinox boning knife, and the 8 inch Chef's knife, which is the one I use most. Terrific knives, fantastic values.

its sad but really there isnt a better paring knife on the market within reason. I know there are customs and some people love their shun classics or dojo paring knives but pound for pound the victorinox paring knife is best in class

they cost 5 bucks and can be totally abused and thrown away and replaced easily. I use them to bump myself over the free shipping hump on amazon all the time when buying a book or something.

Saw someone else mention my favorite, so I have to concur:
Boker Cera-Titan 7.5 in. Santoku is my everyday knife. This is the everlasting gobstopper of kitchen knives. Very sharp and durable, zero maintenance, says forever on the handle, and after several years, I'm a believer.
Also that Titanium/Silver/Ceramic blade is just cool. Too bad you can't get these anymore.

BokerCera-TitanIBOTI10Santoku.jpg

Saw someone else mention my favorite, so I have to concur:
Boker Cera-Titan 7.5 in. Santoku is my everyday knife. This is the everlasting gobstopper of kitchen knives. Very sharp and durable, zero maintenance, says forever on the handle, and after several years, I'm a believer.
Also that Titanium/Silver/Ceramic blade is just cool. Too bad you can't get these anymore.

By the way.
You can re-sharpen them. At least if you have an Edge Pro.
If you haven't damaged the edge, then using the 3000 diamond tape will get it back into shape.
But be warned as it requires:
1) One tape per knife at US$5.- plus shipping
2) at least a 200x microscope as the only way you can tell if you are getting there is via a microscope.
3) Patients,

Back