What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

only for business reasons, i would probably stay away from a kephart style since Ethan Becker recently obtained an actual Kephart owned knife, and used some fancy computers and lasers to measure a real Kephart owned Colclesser knife, unless he lets you borrow his original? the Becker Kephart is coming out in 1095 steel around January 2019.

One very in demand item is extra sets of handles for all CPk knives in new colors of micarta and G10, but especially in high grade ebony, ironwood, snakewood, masur birch, etc.

only for business reasons, i would probably stay away from a kephart style since Ethan Becker recently obtained an actual Kephart owned knife, and used some fancy computers and lasers to measure a real Kephart owned Colclesser knife, unless he lets you borrow his original? the Becker Kephart is coming out in 1095 steel around January 2019.

Yeah. I understand the nostalgia and respect for an old design like that. And I'm sure it was a very fine and well thought out and refined piece. But do you think some folks might like a modern alternative in a similar vein utilizing modern manufacturing and metallurgy for a similar concept? I don't doubt the quality of his writing nor the value of his opinions but I'm not sure that he and his particular knife necessarily represent the ultimate tool for the application. I doubt there is one, but I especially doubt the knife he used and whos design he popularized necessarily represents the ultimate tool for the application given the materials and processes available today.

I mean no disrespect to the upcoming Becker Kephart in 1095, but a high performance CPK Bushcraft knife in Delta 3V would be in a different league.

How many people read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and then bought an old BMW motorcycle... I like BMWs fine but it wouldn't be my first choice...

I don't have a straight handle spear point with a round butt and sharp spine intended for bushcraft in my lineup and I'm interested in adding one next year after the DEK1 if folks are interested and would like to give their thoughts and input.

I'm going to collaborate with a local fieldcraft nut and overgrown Keebler Elf (Bennie Boo)

Yeah. I understand the nostalgia and respect for an old design like that. And I'm sure it was a very fine and well thought out and refined piece. But do you think some folks might like a modern alternative in a similar vein utilizing modern manufacturing and metallurgy for a similar concept? I don't doubt the quality of his writing nor the value of his opinions but I'm not sure that he and his particular knife necessarily represent the ultimate tool for the application. I doubt there is one, but I especially doubt the knife he used and whos design he popularized necessarily represents the ultimate tool for the application given the materials and processes available today.

I mean no disrespect to the upcoming Becker Kephart in 1095, but a high performance CPK Bushcraft knife in Delta 3V would be in a different league.

How many people read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and then bought an old BMW motorcycle... I like BMWs fine but it wouldn't be my first choice...

I don't have a straight handle spear point with a round butt and sharp spine intended for bushcraft in my lineup and I'm interested in adding one next year after the DEK1 if folks are interested and would like to give their thoughts and input.

I'm going to collaborate with a local fieldcraft nut and overgrown Keebler Elf (Bennie Boo)

That's some great news Nathan, but I've gotta to bug you as I usually do, for another reason!

IIRC, Bennieboo used to reside in our 50th State so I find it strange that he has surfaced in NC! Call me a conspiracy theorist but until I see a picture of BO, I'm going to spread rumors that there may be more to BennieboO than you have let us know!

I personally am not a huge fan of the Kephart knife.

I dont think CPK’s design talent, heat treat, and other technology would be well represented in this style of knife. In my view, this Kephart style is more nostalgia than good design. I do not intend to disparage Kephart, his writings, his knife or opinions.

And I will definitely buy one of Ethan Beckers BK62 kephart knives, so lets just get that out of the way.

But....... I became interested in CPK due to the forward thinking design, unique geometry and application of super modern materials and voodoo and science.

Kephart fixed blade design is like a dusty old horse and buggy while the HDFK is like a Porsche 911 GT 3RS in Lava Orange.

D4BA7CD1-9C89-46A8-8505-03A36EA56DD3.jpeg 246DCDF1-20B7-4562-9795-6830BA4BFDAE.jpeg
I am sure you would sell a lot of knives in the Kephart style as interpreted by CPK, including to me, but I dont think its the best application of your talent and the technology you have developed. So you say who cares, not everything has to be a Porsche 911GT 3RS in lava orange -and that is true, if it seems fun and interesting that is probably all you need.

My preference would be a zero grind scandi with a 3.75-4 inch blade, thin about .100, but with an indestructible steel and heat treat combo (maybe D3V is correct here or something new), and a puukko barrel style handle or SET/Kephart style straight handle, and sharpened spine. I guess I want a CPK Super Puukko.

I think a kephart model would not only sell but may very well bring in a whole new subset of knife enthusiasts ...

I have a few kephart inspired blades and they are damn handy for field use.

I admit I am hoping for a FK 2.0 (because I hadn't yet discoveted CPK for the firat run) and I'd love to see the DEK ... but when the time comes I'd be on the definate buy list to a kephart knife ... with Nathan's tweeks it just might be a near perfect do it all for bushcraft / camping type tasks.

While my absolute-number-one-no-question-is-anything-else-nearly-as-desired-by-me choice would be for you to make a chef's knife, I would also love to try a CPK bushcraft knife. I enjoy working with wood and making handy little things. I would love to see what you did with the idea.

Ahh! All I want that CPK doesn’t offer is spine I can strike a ferro rod and scrape tinder with! The blades and steel are beyond epic and that feature would drive them over the top for me.

With you on that! Leave the rounded on the big blades for using like a draw knife while working on bows etc.; but the HDFK and FK need that sharp square

They're ready for heat treat now.

...and the heat treat oven is down again...

#Log Jam
That is unfortunate, But i am more than willing to wait:D Maybe a Preorder is in order (for the UF) about the same time the FK2 becomes available;) This would allow people the choice to spend their funds to suit their particular needs:eek:
OK, let's cut through all the chit-chat ---- and get to the MEAT!

When will the UF be available!!!????:cool::D:mad::D:eek::D
latest

Back