What Knives Are Better Survival Knives Than The Esee 6?

I love the heck out of my fallkniven a1, but i'm australia/river-marshland primary environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm dead serious when I say Esee seems to keep coming out on top in the forums I research.

So I do a lot of wilderness hiking/backpacking etc. in Montana. That said I bought the Esee 6 after doing hours of research on some of the best full tang tough survival knives out there. There are a lot of knives that I might want for others purposes like the KaBar USMC fighting knife etc.

That said after researching tons of forums including this one many people have asked the question of "Becker BK7 Vs Esee 6". Or SOG Navy Seal Knife Vs Esee 6 and the vast majority of users say "go for Esee you can't go wrong".

Since it seems Esee is indeed awesome (and I love my Esee) I'm wondering is there is a better knife out there for the same purposes that anyone here owns? Any advice on an even better upgrade knife? I also own a Ruana knife (Made in Bonner MT) they are better in my humble opinion, but the one I have isn't made for chopping and survival in the same sense Esee is.

There is nothing in the Esee 6 that is in any way about "Chopping and Survival"... For 6 more ounces over this knife's 12 ounces, so 50% more weight, you could get the Ontario SP-52, which is cheaper and 10 inches instead of 6.5, and will chop around 6 to 8 times better with far less effort and hand shock...

The SP-53 is sabre ground and much heavier, plus ten ounces to the Esee 6 instead of plus six ounces for the SP-52... Probably not a good deal weight wise.

The 6.5" of the Esee 6 is exactly smack in the middle of the "bad" range of blade length, from 4.5 to 8.5 inches, which is too big for fine slicing tasks, and way too small for chopping. Ignore the Youtube and forum advice on this: Think in simple terms what does this "compromise in length" gets you for just 1/3rd less weight, and 8/10ths less chopping ability...

Gaston

I think the consensus is to bring "a knife"

Different knives do different things well

So choose something suitable to the environment

Within the context of a kit

That covers your shelter/water/food/clothing needs.

Mora or BK6! If I was in trouble then I'd be delighted with either. As a knife snob, then by choice I would have something more refined as both have some things I don't like; quite a lot in fact.

I enjoy watching many a y tube knife vid, but wow there is a lot of bull spouted. A lot of oooh aaah over some very iffy designs that really aren't very efficient. So much very questionable testing. Pure entertainment.
For example I find it painful to watch a log being chipped away with great effort with too small a knife, when a Silky Saw can do it in a fraction of the time with little effort. Who are they trying to kid?
There are a lot of knives that are OK, but there are some that are also rather better.

Its tough to beat ESEE in all catagories,price,warranty,design,materials,heat treat,consistancy,the ESEE co. is primarily a survival training centre and knives we designed as a survival tool,i own and hard use the entire collection and trust my life to ESEE knives. Mora knives on the other hand are now making full tang SS bush knives,these IMHO deserve more notability not so much on the cool knife scale but defineatly gets the job done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: vba
TOPS Pasayten Lite Traveler is my choice. Won't rust. (154cm). Good ergonomics, utilitarian blade, good length (5.25").

TOPS Pasayten Lite Traveler is my choice. Won't rust. (154cm). Good ergonomics, utilitarian blade, good length (5.25").

154cm will rust just like all "stainless" steels will to some degree depending on their composition. Sure, not near as much as 1095 but it won't take the beating or be as easy to sharpen either. Steel is all about trade offs.

Mora or BK6! If I was in trouble then I'd be delighted with either. As a knife snob, then by choice I would have something more refined as both have some things I don't like; quite a lot in fact.

I enjoy watching many a y tube knife vid, but wow there is a lot of bull spouted. A lot of oooh aaah over some very iffy designs that really aren't very efficient. So much very questionable testing. Pure entertainment.
For example I find it painful to watch a log being chipped away with great effort with too small a knife, when a Silky Saw can do it in a fraction of the time with little effort. Who are they trying to kid?
There are a lot of knives that are OK, but there are some that are also rather better.

Battoning?, not the kind a Cheer Leader does, But these young folks that enjoy taking twice as long beating a small knife through a log that you could Chop through with a Hatchet or saw through in half the time.

They seem to enjoy it.:confused:

The Kabar is "the" survival knife.

It's the original to which every other survival is a copy, attempts at replicating the Kabar, either by design or materials. The Kabar pretty much still remains in its original design. Tried and true, tested through decades of combat (extreme use) and outdoors (hard use). Officially approved warranting that it's good sht.

Everyone needs to own a Kabar original before any other survival knife. Then you'll know the standard to which all others compare.. and it's good.

Interesting story about the Ka-bar. Anyone can produce the original USMC Fighting Knife royalty free. The Ka-bar was designed by the U.S. Government, and the blueprints were made public, so that anyone could produce them, and then compete for the government contract. Many different manufacturers made the knife. But Ka-bar stuck with it, and further developed the design. As a result, they basically cornered the market on a knife design that any company can produce royalty free. (The same thing happened with the Willy's Jeep. Anyone can produce the original model Jeep. But Chrysler further developed the design, and basically cornered the market on a vehicle that any company can produce royalty free.) Just a little story about how government procurement works.

I'm dead serious when I say Esee seems to keep coming out on top in the forums I research.

So I do a lot of wilderness hiking/backpacking etc. in Montana. That said I bought the Esee 6 after doing hours of research on some of the best full tang tough survival knives out there. There are a lot of knives that I might want for others purposes like the KaBar USMC fighting knife etc.

That said after researching tons of forums including this one many people have asked the question of "Becker BK7 Vs Esee 6". Or SOG Navy Seal Knife Vs Esee 6 and the vast majority of users say "go for Esee you can't go wrong".

Since it seems Esee is indeed awesome (and I love my Esee) I'm wondering is there is a better knife out there for the same purposes that anyone here owns? Any advice on an even better upgrade knife? I also own a Ruana knife (Made in Bonner MT) they are better in my humble opinion, but the one I have isn't made for chopping and survival in the same sense Esee is.

Boker Vox Rold has a very similar blade style and size to the Esee 6 and it is made out of D2, but handle is far superior IMO to the Esee 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back