What knives do Special Forces use?

wotanFt2.jpg

operational carry, the...
Wotan 3
- Carbon Steel 52100
- Blade: Forged entirely with reinforced tip

Blade: Impression-Die Forged, no different from other mass produced knives on the market...

I'd not attach a knife to my reserve.

Also you'd think they'd redesign the helmet chin strap if they feel the need to put a dummy cord on the helmet.

Carrying a knife on your reserve is pretty standard in a lot of the old Eastern block countries. A friend was jumping with the CZ military last year and that is how they carried their paratroop knife too.

did this one veer off topic, or is it just me? ...what does it this thread have to do with reservists knives (unless they are reserve SF), some random foreign marine unit or Chinese parachute girls? none of those are anywhere near what any reputable person would consider "special forces" I recon.

Israeli SWAT knife developed in collaboration with the Israeli special forces....
isak-blue-big.jpg

ISAK Blue
Blade
Material: 440C Stainless steel
Length: 12 cm / 4.7 inches
Overall length: 15 cm / 5.9 inches when closed
Width: 3.7 cm / 1.4 inches
Weight: 310.6 gr
Thickness: 1.8cm
Blade thickness: 5 mm
Handle Material: Micarta
Screw material: Screw steel
Pocket clip handle material: Stainless steel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NV-jfh7ezI&feature=player_embedded

I just watched the above video closely... at about 1.28 into the video the mid-back lock fails on the "FOURTH" strike on the top of the car door.... you can see it happen if you watch closely.
This appears to be a mid-back lock from what I can see, don't know why they call it a "liner lock".
Pohl Force also uses 'mid back locks', there's a hard use demo vid by a Russian on Youtube where he hits a piece of wood the same way the car door was hit... and the lock fails just like in the video above.

hopefully no special forces find themselves trapped in a life or death scenario where they have to spine whack themselves to safety then...

Carrying a knife on your reserve is pretty standard in a lot of the old Eastern block countries. A friend was jumping with the CZ military last year and that is how they carried their paratroop knife too.
Yet, I'd still never carry a knife on my reserve. There are lots of things done the old Eastern block countries, I wouldn't do.

FACA URUTU PUNHAL (urutu dagger)
folderpq.jpg

urutupunhalgd.jpg

Length - 30 cm
Thickness - 6.35 mm
integral Double Guard
Finish - Black Teflon Anti-Reflection Coating
Scabbard - Leather

URUTU PLUS - DENTE DE TUBARÃO (shark's teeth)
urutuplus.jpg

Length - 36 cm
Thickness - 6.35 mm
Carbon Steel 6150C
Serrated Tooth Shark on Back
Finish - Matte Black Teflon anti-glare
Leather sheath

just accept that styling preferences differs...
commercial private purchase favorites
from FASB - Facas Especiais
users include Brazil's
GATE* (Grupo de Ações Táticas Especiais)
*special operations force within the São Paulo's military police.
BOPE*(Batalhão de Operações Policiais Especiais)
*Special Police Operations Battalion

Czech made Maďarič/BRNO knives
charon-a.jpg

CHARON A
Blade 160 mm
Blade Material 14260
Hardness 58HRC
Handle length 130 mm
Handle Material of oval leather rings
Designed for Special forces 601 Prostejov
601-prostejov-2.jpg

http://www.601skss.cz/english/tasks.html

FALCO A
falco-a.jpg

Total length 300 mm
Blade 170 mm
Blade Material 14260
Hardness 58HRC
Handle length 130 mm
Handle Material of leather rings
Designed for 102 Reconnaissance Battalion Prostejov
logo_a_znak.jpg

czech made UTON vz. 75 knife (601 Special Forces Group commemorative)
1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
did this one veer off topic, or is it just me? ...what does it this thread have to do with reservists knives (unless they are reserve SF), some random foreign marine unit or Chinese parachute girls? none of those are anywhere near what any reputable person would consider "special forces" I recon.

Maybe that was a joke, but the reserve I was referring to was a paratrooper's backup chute for when his main canopy fails. As for not doing things that Eastern block way, the Russians practically invented military parachute jumping. I was told a few years ago that U.S Forest Service smoke jumpers carried some sort of small civilian sport jumping blade on their reserve. The folks in Missoula also told me they didn't know anyone that carried the "Ruana Smoke Jumper."

Chinese parachute girls, now that is a cool name for a special forces group.

Drop behind enemy lines and seduce the enemy. Although looking at the picture..they might need more training. :cool:

what kind of knife did 70's era GI joe carry? from some of the pictures i've seen, looks like it could be a becker. :p

the greek special forces - Eidiko Tmima Alexiptotiston ((Special Parachute/Airborne Unit))
gr102.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Raider/Paratrooper_Brigade_(Greece)
Solingen based Eickhorn is a renowned manufacturer of military knives.
here are two german made knives with laser etched emblems.
eickhorn's FS 2000
4591675691.jpg

eickhorn made commercial offering with ww2 combined operations etching
825147_FS2000_Back.jpg

eickhorn made ΛΟΚ 2005
COMBATKNIFE.jpg

greek commando dagger
maker unknown.
MAXAIRI_PEZONAYTWN_I.jpg

symbol3.jpg

award dagger with etchings for 575th Marines Battalion (575ο ΤΠN)
MAXAIRI_PEZONAYTWN_II.jpg

an honorary dignitary's "presentation package"
img_2444.jpg

71st Airmobile Brigade «PONTOS» - not SF, infantry
71st_Airborne_Brigade_%28Greece%29_emblem.gif

because it's a pretty picture for ka-bar
31mee3uz.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_Airmobile_Brigade_(Greece)

Last edited:
I knew a guy in SF when I was stationed in Panama during the mid-80's who went by the name of 'Carlos'. He had a Randall #2, 7 or 8 inch blade, I don't remember which. Called it 'his baby'.

As a former Army Psyop (which falls under Special Operations Forces) I carried various knives in Iraq 2003;a Benchmade Stryker SBT, Victorinox Soldier, 2 Leatherman WAVEs (belt and IBA), Emerson CQC-7B SBK, Camillus CUDA Maxx 5.5 clip-point serrated, 2 Spyderco Militaries--one plain & one serrated, a serrated Spyderco Dragonfly on my keyring. The only fixed blade I had over there was an Emerson Police Utility Knife which was rarely carried.

Back