What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Nice Barlows!! When was that first one made?? I've never seen that model before!!
Hi thanks the first one is currently available just the basic version utility handles quatrofoil shield I think they call it and I had DLT laser the arrow on it - I am more than happy with it

w0ARhf0.jpg

Is there a story behind the coin?
Quite an interesting story really...
I saw it on The Bay, I thought it looked cool, so I bought it.
Okay, maybe not that interesting after all...

Hearing stories about how the last generation would carry a silver dollar as a worry stone or good luck charm had me interested, as I usually used my knife as a worry stone. But in certain situations, pulling out your knife was not acceptable. I have some silver dollars, but wanted something more dedicated to the task, so I googled pics of EDC coins. That search took me to The Bay and the rest is history as they say. I have several but that one is my favorite. End of story. ;)

What’s the story with this one? My buddy is a plumber and his co. Name I ONB plumbing. A variation of his last name Owenbey.. be cool to find one for him.
Most bolster stamps reference the manufacturer of the knife but not always. The two knives shown below are from different manufacturers yet have the same stamp. They’re like any antique knife in that they can be found but they’re kinda scarce - good luck.

z6i8MJx.jpg

It’s been a very long time since I’ve posted on BF and an equally long time since I’ve looked at any of my knives. Have been pursuing other things. But I’ve just caught up on some of the latest news re SFOs etc. I want to thank Charlie for his incredible dedication to the knife world and the TC Barlow world in particular. Here are two beautiful traditional Barlows. Best to all. MJ.8084CEBF-757A-4506-87A0-118D727AA854.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s been a very long time since I’ve posted on BF and an equally long time since I’ve looked at any of my knives. Have been pursuing other things. But I’ve just caught up on some of the latest news re SFOs etc. I want to thank Charlie for his incredible dedication to the knife world and the TC Barlow world in particular. Here are two beautiful traditional Barlows. Best to all. MJ.View attachment 1564293
There’s still some hope for future collaborations. These two are ageing very nicely and look like the original barlows that inspired them, they could be 100 years old!

It’s been a very long time since I’ve posted on BF and an equally long time since I’ve looked at any of my knives. Have been pursuing other things. But I’ve just caught up on some of the latest news re SFOs etc. I want to thank Charlie for his incredible dedication to the knife world and the TC Barlow world in particular. Here are two beautiful traditional Barlows. Best to all. MJ.View attachment 1564293
Nice choices, to get back to looking at knives again!!👍 And welcome back!!;)

Back