What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

That's a beautiful knife waynorth waynorth

What would a knife like this have been used for? Almost like a fish knife but would have been harsh on the pockets. I don't think it would work well as a saw as it is on the back of the blade...curious.

That's a beautiful knife waynorth waynorth

What would a knife like this have been used for? Almost like a fish knife but would have been harsh on the pockets. I don't think it would work well as a saw as it is on the back of the blade...curious.
i like this Barlow.
for what use are the saw teeth, match strike?
Nice and Clean with beautiful color and clip point blade Charlie .

Harry
The teeth are not saw teeth, they are for scaling a fish!! (with the knife closed!!). They are not super sharp, for safety I reckon! Note no nail-pull; not needed!
Thanks folks, glad you like it!!

<>RUSSELL<> BARLOWS!!
Here are some Russell Barlows. I suspect many repros were made, the (arrow R) Russells being quite popular at various times!! I am not an expert, but these comparisons might help us all to determine what makes an original!!Russell Comp 1.jpgRussell Comp 2.jpg
The bottom knife is obviously a repro; larger bolster, odd stamp on the bolster, spun brass pins, tang stamp very "detailed"? Wide clip blade. Other? The Spring pin is closer to the bolster!
All the real Russells I have are Bone-handled. The second knife down has a wood-like "grain" in it, but is Bone!! Single bladed Russells are less frequent, but exist! Clip blades are also less frequent, but occur!
If anyone has pictures of their Russells please post them, and add comments to help fill out our "data" banks!!

Russell Comp 1.jpg
Are the ones with straight line tang stamps older than the arced ones?

Are the ones with straight line tang stamps older than the arced ones?

Before 1933 Russell used straight tang stamps, and after 1933, until 1941, they used the curved tang stamp. The fakes, German replicas, and commemoratives, all use curved tang stamps.
The originals have steel bolsters!!

Here are 5 more! Russell Comp 3.jpgRussell Comp 4.jpgThe bottom two are repros for sure! I think the others are real, but I could be off base!!
Please feel free to comment!!

Just two more!! I'm quite proud of these! After years of hunting, these two showed up quite close to each other! Curved Russells and Hens teeth have a lot in common!!;)
View attachment 1571194
I think I held one of those while in Titusville my friend . That was a Highlight for me .
One clue that I read a few years ago on the curved RUSSELL stamps : On a REAL RUSSELL the Arrow Fletch starts out under the first S in Russell . This one is hard to tell unless you have a Sample of each around , like you do , to compare what I am saying .
On the Early Russells : The Arrow Head is Obviously Lower than the Pivot Pin . I can not tell where the Pivot Pin is on your Later Real Russells .
The obvious Key is that the Middle Pin on a Real Russell is more in the middle of the length of the handle .
I know only of Schrade , Colonial , and Boker to make Commemoratives or copies and I also expect some others too , but I do not know who . I have a sample of all three and they all were made well and the Colonials are pretty heavy . I do not believe that those were made to deceive anyone . For anyone to collect Barlows without collecting Russells and Russell copies made by those 3 would be a mistake I think . Your collection of Russells make me feel very good . They are a delight to see . Now I am going back up to your first Russells pics and try to pick out the Original Russells and the Copies . Take care my friend .

Harry

Before 1933 Russell used straight tang stamps, and after 1933, until 1941, they used the curved tang stamp. The fakes, German replicas, and commemoratives, all use curved tang stamps.
The originals have steel bolsters!!
My Schrade and Colonial tang stamps are both curved or arched but my Boker made one is not curved or arched .

I do not consider the Russell Green River Works knives an Original Russell but they are well made and a nice looking Barlow .

Harry

Back