What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

FC3A5AD4-F959-4633-9334-65F6DB0BA786.jpeg
Is that a turtle bead? Love it!

custom bolster or ... ?
2016 Crown Lifter converted to Beerlow by Glennbad who installed Barlow bolster and reskinned in jigged bone; and a 2016 single blade TC converted to Beerlow by JFowler who added crown lifter and blade well, and reskinned in sawcut bone. I commissioned Glennbad for the work on the Crown Lifter while I bought the JFowler TC off another BF member.DE0F994D-2A1F-4401-9D92-B6239551B315.jpeg

Last edited:
Today the mail lady dropped off my Camillus Tip Top #11 Barlow knife. After examining the low price point Kwik Kut, I was not sure what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise.

The condition is well used but still a good user. Typical blade and bolster scratches and patina, but fairly full blades and a decent walk and talk.

In many ways it resembles the later upscale Camillus #51 Barlow I am comparing these new old ones to. It is brass lined, not steel. It has a very positive half stop on the master blade and pen. It has the lightly saw-cut jigged honey colored bone covers.

The knife back is finished smooth like the #51, but the joint is not sunk yet. My source says the Tip Top mark was used by Camillus c. 1904 - 1946. Tang stamp is three line, Camillus over New York over U.S.A.

This surely only leaves a couple now. The Fulton and a CAMCO.

Fantastic example and one I had not heard of until now! My list shows this one and another 300 or more marks used by, associated with or suspected by Camlilus. Sears Craftsman Old Crafty is another but during the Delrin years which is beyond my era of interest currently. I think they did make some Wilberts but not sure of a Barlow pattern.

Back