What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Here's the pic from their facebook

y4liiWK.png

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and let me say I was recently given a Great Eastern Cutlery Medium Barlow Single Wharncliffe Northfield Old Red Sawcut Bone knife as a gift and now I have begun the search for the perfect Barlow!
I am looking forward to this search if the Barlow’s I have seen here in the forum are what awaits me.

Thanks for posting that pic, Phil! Hey BB, enjoy, the journey is quite interesting and historical!
Perry

Welcome BladeBrain...this is truly an epic thread and the Barlow you mentioned along with Charlie's TC Barlows are some of the finest (if not thee finest) ever produced...they pay tribute to the terrific Barlows of the past. At least this is my opinion.

This is the greatest forum I've ever belonged to...so again welcome:thumbup:

Hate it when that happens to me! I have a feeling your question is going to be asked a lot in the coming weeks. Gary will just have to copy and paste his response a few more times!

GEC-ILUSTRATED_zpsd3qepziy.png

Ha! I sure hope so, not to make irritation for Peregrin or any other mod, but so I'm no longer the latest recipient of red writing. Think this may be the first I've been on the receiving end of the red.

I'll have to hang my head in contrition until then, and likely have to wait for the next run of these, too. Thankfully I have a couple of new knives, as well as my trusty ragtag bunch of imperial Barlows to dull the radiating sense of shame whilst I wait for redemption.

I'm just waiting to see all the Palo Santo that should be showing up in the threads soon.

Thanks to y'all who pm'ed me with information.

I love it when someone uses a Spey blade for their daily knife chores!
The under appreciated blade!! Nice bunch of EDCs, Phil!

I was contemplating these older Barlows this morning, keeping my reptilian brain into the "Traditional" mindset!:rolleyes:
Ummm . . anyway, I thought they would make a nice group portrait. Also, it's time for a new desktop!

Older%20Barlows%201_zpsbfodjnsc.jpg

I love it when someone uses a Spey blade for their daily knife chores!
The under appreciated blade!! Nice bunch of EDCs, Phil!

I was contemplating these older Barlows this morning, keeping my reptilian brain into the "Traditional" mindset!:rolleyes:
Ummm . . anyway, I thought they would make a nice group portrait. Also, it's time for a new desktop!

Older%20Barlows%201_zpsbfodjnsc.jpg

Charlie, I hope someday we will see TC Barlows with scratted bone handles!

That is a perfect collection, willydigger. Beautiful knives!

Spey with a pen secondary would be a dream come true. Especially with scratted bone covers.

Hey Baldebrian = welcome friend-you chose a good place here. :thumbup:

Fred-..Oh my..... :eek: thats a line upfor sure!!

Hey Charlie - That top knife - please refresh my memory!!! ....THAT is one of the most stunning knives!!! I would hate to think what I would trade for that knife - just beautiful.... and the DE at the far left is just amazing - well ...the whole lot are!! but those two really stand out.
Thank you guys :thumbup:

Back