What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Here is an addition to John's Teaser photos. Charlie allowed me to take these on Saturday morning. I was going to post them sooner but well, where has the time gone! The labels for the new release of TC Barlows. The front has been previously posted. I believe this is the first time for the rear label. Please excuse the cell phone photos.
36570407085_60f254618a_b.jpg

36570407255_351a522f5a_b.jpg

Picked up this old one at the Queen show, it was in a junk box. Pretty scarce Barlow from the Southern Barlow Co. Very little information out there on them, Goins states 1900 to 1920 but thats about it.
Single blade with ebony handles, very nice bolster stamp. Worn as most old ones but still tight with snap.

IMG_7205.jpg IMG_7204.jpg IMG_7206.jpg IMG_7208.jpg

Two (2) blades! That's what make a good traditional Barlow!

What's with these single blade barlows? I do love the Sheepsfoot main on the latest GEC 15 though.

Here is an addition to John's Teaser photos. Charlie allowed me to take these on Saturday morning. I was going to post them sooner but well, where has the time gone! The labels for the new release of TC Barlows. The front has been previously posted. I believe this is the first time for the rear label. Please excuse the cell phone photos.
36570407085_60f254618a_b.jpg

36570407255_351a522f5a_b.jpg

OIL THE JOINTS!

aw.

~ P.

Picked up this old one at the Queen show, it was in a junk box. Pretty scarce Barlow from the Southern Barlow Co. Very little information out there on them, Goins states 1900 to 1920 but thats about it.
Single blade with ebony handles, very nice bolster stamp. Worn as most old ones but still tight with snap.

View attachment 750007 View attachment 750008 View attachment 750009 View attachment 750010

I saw you beeming John when you paid the man, I thought eye, eye he must of found a winner in that box.....Good find!

View attachment 750075

There was a lot of talk recently at the GEC rendezvous about the Queen Cutlery Drake Well Barlows. Just thought I would post my version, there are no cracks in the bone, that's just the way it is.

Russell

Russell, that is a very nice one, they used really nice bone on those knives, just a great Barlow.

They sure are cranking out the product lately. Those Red Sawcut are looking very nice.

I think they might have made more than most have anticipated ! At least that's what I'm hoping lol

I saw you beeming John when you paid the man, I thought eye, eye he must of found a winner in that box.....Good find!

Thanks Russell, about sprained my wrist getting my wallet out so fast.

Funny story with this knife, I was rooting through the junk box and spied it, grabbed it,opened it to see what it had for a blade and action, never really looked at the tang stamp as I had left my glasses in the car. The whole time I'm looking at the knife I'm thinking it is a Southington which have a similar bolster stamp and construction and are also a pretty hard barlow to find. Went through the rest of the show telling my buddies I had found a rare Southington. Did not figure out what I had actually bought until I got back to the hotel and put my glasses on.

Charlie had a Southington with him and his wife took a picture of the 2 together, hope when he gets home he can post it.

Here are pictures of the proud papa himself holding the new born! numero uno! (taken by me as Bill handed it to Charlie fresh from the Birthing suite!)

YahRRyh.jpg

dXvF8ZX.jpg

Ui6cn7p.jpg

61X8t

Charlie usually doesn't like to be on camera but that knife does!

Back