Off Topic What song are you listening to?

I've been into Hick-Hop (I prefer Redneck Rap) since about 2013. As someone who grew up on the Beastie Boys, Run DMC & The Fat Boys the music brought me back but did it in a natural way. For the haters, the music genre has honest roots. These guys grew up immersed in country music but rap has worked it's way into all walks of society. Not too many places in the middle of Georgia or Appalachia to catch a rap act, so they started merging the music on their own. It was very much local for a long time with only inklings of getting mainstream (Colt Ford and much later Big Smo had a show). Same story goes for all of the Bluegrass and Country bands who cover heavy metal songs.

WatermanChris.. that's an awesome story and so random. Very cool :thumbsup:

My 6 year old loves music from Demun Jones, Danny Boone, Jawga Boys and Bubba Sparxx. I have been tempted to take her to one of their shows or music festival's but not until she's older.

I'm also a big Bluegrass fan, if you like Chris Stapelton check out the Steeldrivers, they were the Bluegrass band he was with before switching to country.

Here are some of my favorites, and for the country fans check out "Girl Ridin' Shotgun" with Joe Diffie... it's the first one

Metallica and Guns N' Roses covered by Iron Horse

The Hu are pretty cool
of course you must have predicted this would be next...

Horns Up! literally...

Can't forget The Steel Wheels... Found these guys at Merlefest, really amazing

Hard to beat Steve Martin on Banjo :thumbsup:

My 4 year old and 6 year old actually love this song.

This is a cover of a Peter Gabriel song inspired by the poet Anne Sexton, but I love Fever Ray's version.

Last edited:
I've been into Hick-Hop (I prefer Redneck Rap) since about 2013. As someone who grew up on the Beastie Boys, Run DMC & The Fat Boys the music brought me back but did it in a natural way. For the haters, the music genre has honest roots. These guys grew up immersed in country music but rap has worked it's way into all walks of society. Not too many places in the middle of Georgia or Appalachia to catch a rap act, so they started merging the music on their own. It was very much local for a long time with only inklings of getting mainstream (Colt Ford and much later Big Smo had a show). Same story goes for all of the Bluegrass and Country bands who cover heavy metal songs.

I don't want to dwell on the country rap thing too much, people like what they like, but it's definitely growing and getting more exposure. It seems like the moped of the music world though, fun to ride, but don't want your friends to see you on it ;) so it's like it isn't talked about on purpose.

cpirtle, you're absolutely right about how it came to be. It's much less "manufactured" than mainstream Pop music. This guy is actually a grandson of Waylon Jennings'. Grew up in Nashville.

Is anyone here a fan of Reverend Horton Heat?

Last edited:
I've never been one to bag on people's music taste because there's very little I don't like. I had not heard Struggle Jennings before, sounds great. Reminds me a lot of Hank III, if not the music then the story line.

zmbhntr, I love that song and will be sure to play it for my daughter. We are trying to raise her with a broad exposure to music. She loves 40's swing and disco as well. She knows all of the lyrics and dance moves to 3-4 songs from this crazy Swiss disco group called Boney M. I had never heard of them and they showed up after playing something else on YouTube when she said "play that, play that.." Been hooked since. I did some reading and it seems they were a manufactured disco group in Sweden because disco was so big there. They cut a ton of music and were pretty successful, now I listen to them more than I ever wanted to..

If anyone is inclined to like modern bluegrass check out the Cherryholmes, then read up on their back story. Truly inspiring.

Long story short, after the death of one of the children mom and dad took the kids to a Bluegrass festival just to get their minds off of what happened. The mom had some music experience and I think the dad knew a little about playing Bass. When they got home they were inspired to make a family band and within a few years had a contract and in 5 years won IBMA's Entertainers of the year. The parents did not want their kids to spend their whole youth on the road so when the youngest was about 19 they broke up the group so they could all pursue their own interests. At one point the oldest daughter was considered one of the best banjo players in the world.

This was their goodbye video..

This is supposed to be a joke band where each member identifies as Ned Flanders from the Simpson's and they play Christian rock.

I listen to a lot of extreme music but this stuff I actually find disturbing for reasons I can't explain.

Gentlemen I present you Okilly Dokilly.

Last edited:
Don't get me started on My Girl Nina Simone zmbhntr!....OMG I have loved her forever! Great call right there brother! Her and some Al Green and Etta James....man ole man...talk about a good night!

Quote clouds are getting a bit nuts, so I'll try just tagging by name.

cpirtle cpirtle , if you listened to the second video in the OP then you've heard Struggle already. That's his collab with Jelly Roll, who I didn't give a chance at first simply because of his name which was a mistake, he's one of my favorites. More rap than country though.

And if you like Hank 3, which I also do, check out his other band AssJack, they're intense, I guess you could say.

I'm gonna plug a couple Canadian rappers

Merkules is pretty popular around here. From Vancouver, BC

And this guy is actually my wife's cousin. He rapped a bit a long time ago, then ended up on the wrong road in life, but has cleaned upand is healthy and doing really well. We get along great when he visits. I bring out his inner redneck, and we have tons of good fun. I might be biased a bit, but his lyrics come from his heart and really connect. Most people I play his music for really like it, so hope you guys do too. He just released his full album a few days ago, but I've had it in various cuts for over a year. It's not all on YouTube, but it's on Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

H Houlahound You should check out Psychostick if you haven't heard them before. I guess you could call it humor core metal? Cracked me up the first time I heard it, definitely bachelor humour but they're actually good musicians to boot.

Tyrade83 Tyrade83 - I have one of Assjack's CD's and they're great. Hank and Assjack get a lot of time when I'm running my tractor, not sure why.. haha. Also, the group I tagged earlier Dead South is from Saskatchewan :thumbsup:

I'll check out Jelly Roll more, he sounds great.

Few more links since this is a passionate subject for me, then I have to work and go to bed.

I'm a Staind fan but I think Aaron Lewis did some of his best work solo as a country artist..

Even though I basically grew up there, I didn't start liking the song Youngstown until I heard Blue Moon Rising play it live at the Shaker Woods Festival.. I was at Youngstown State from 89-94 and we used to go explore the old Youngstown Sheet and Tube Headquarters before they tore it down. Even rappelled off the roof once. Young and stupid.. LOL

If you really want to see some raw hardcore Hick Hop that self describes what I was talking about in my first post check out Apalachee Falls. These guys are backwoods for sure and I suspect some are brousins, but they manage to pull it off.. some of the extra's are as entertaining as the music.

Patty Griffin - Not Alone

The National - Humiliation

Sun Kil Moon - Priest Alley Song (cover of the Red House Painters)

Ray LaMontagne - Be Here Now

Back