What Survive Knives Are You Waiting For?

Just curious: which steels (for those where there's an option)?

Might be fun/interesting (to me anyway) to see what choices people made...

I am pretty sure the 4LE's are only in 20CV and the big 10 & 12 are only 3V, but for both 4.1's and the 3.5 I went for D3V - in my tests of the stainless vs 3V S!K blades, I have been happier with the edge performance of 3V and I've been wanting to try out Nathan Carother's Delta-3V efforts, so I stuck with that. I have a tendency to use my knives pretty hard, so the specs on 3V appeal to me, and I am just not sure I need the abrasion-resistance afforded by 20CV in most tasks... I may come to appreciate it on the 4LE's however, since they are said to be ground much thinner to be better slicers, and as such they may end up being used in incidentally wet environments a lot (butchering livestock, game, nuisance woodchucks, etc. ;) )

Chiral my brother, if you find yourself in 4 inch overload....hit me up please. I might be able to help you out.
That is providing you need helped out. :)

Seriously, I really should not own so many similar blades, so I will definitely be looking to pass some along when they all do arrive ;) Got a preference for sheath or scale color?

I am pretty sure the 4LE's are only in 20CV and the big 10 & 12 are only 3V, but for both 4.1's and the 3.5 I went for D3V - in my tests of the stainless vs 3V S!K blades, I have been happier with the edge performance of 3V and I've been wanting to try out Nathan Carother's Delta-3V efforts, so I stuck with that. I have a tendency to use my knives pretty hard, so the specs on 3V appeal to me, and I am just not sure I need the abrasion-resistance afforded by 20CV in most tasks... I may come to appreciate it on the 4LE's however, since they are said to be ground much thinner to be better slicers, and as such they may end up being used in incidentally wet environments a lot (butchering livestock, game, nuisance woodchucks, etc. ;) )

Ha! I hear you.

I may have to pick up a 3.5 in D3V later on. For now I ordered it in 20CV because I thought of it as more of an edc blade.

Gso 4.1 factory 2nd. I should have checked on here before pulling the trigger. I just placed order yesterday. Still says expect to be delivered within 90 days. I hope they meet that time frame. Black micarta handles and od green sheath. Keep it simple for me. Wanted the 4.1 for a while now, the ones that show up here are always sold before I see the sale thread. Excited to get it either way.
That's exactly what I ordered and I'm at 215 days around. I would honestly cancel it asap before you have to deal with what I have to. I'm not trying to be an asshole to any knife Manufacture I hope tomorrow all the knives get sent out. But I honestly at this point don't ever see you getting your knife. Maybe by mid 2018.

Anyway good luck to you

Seriously, I really should not own so many similar blades, so I will definitely be looking to pass some along when they all do arrive ;) Got a preference for sheath or scale color?

You know Chiral, first of all, not a slam to you in any way, shape, fashion, or form, (I've ALWAYS considered you a friend/brother) but I don't know the Survive terminology, so bear with me.
I have an "old school" 4.1 in 3V that I've had for awhile. She has the jimping, and ferro notch and neon green slabs.
The point I'm trying to make is, IF, and I do mean IF, I get a newer version 4.1 in 3V off of you, would you 've interested in my older one or would I just offer her up hete for a brother or sister?
Also.....whats the big difference between them if allowed to ask here?
Thanks....uncle timbo

For those of you that have managed to stay up on things, can someone tell me the order in which the Starters came out? I remember the 4.7 and the 3.5 around early APR2015 (possibly a little sooner), I can't remember if several other models were part of the Starter at the same time.

The Starter orders were all closed at the same time.
Preorders then continued for all of the models.
The 5.1 preorders closed in May 2015, 4.7 June 2015, 2.7 Sept 2015, 4.1 Nov 2015, 7/7 Jan 2016.
The first run of the 5.1 and the 4.7 are sold out, the other three are in production.

The new spec knives all have longer and more contoured handles. The old spec knives have straighter handles with flatter sides.
The new spec knives also have a peened finish (that often looks like a coating in pictures) and the old spec knives have a stone wash finish.
There were also some adjustments made to the heat treatment protocols for the new spec knives.

^ This and (at least on some models - don't have them all in my head right now) the blades are a bit longer and taller. ASFAIK, overall blade thickness and BTE also saw some adjustments.

Last edited:
You know Chiral, first of all, not a slam to you in any way, shape, fashion, or form, (I've ALWAYS considered you a friend/brother) but I don't know the Survive terminology, so bear with me.
I have an "old school" 4.1 in 3V that I've had for awhile. She has the jimping, and ferro notch and neon green slabs.
The point I'm trying to make is, IF, and I do mean IF, I get a newer version 4.1 in 3V off of you, would you 've interested in my older one or would I just offer her up hete for a brother or sister?
Also.....whats the big difference between them if allowed to ask here?
Thanks....uncle timbo

The fellows above replied about the spec-differences for older vs new-gen 4.1s, and nah, i wouldn't be looking to pick up one of the older models, but thanks anyway :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I ordered and I'm at 215 days around. I would honestly cancel it asap before you have to deal with what I have to. I'm not trying to be an asshole to any knife Manufacture I hope tomorrow all the knives get sent out. But I honestly at this point don't ever see you getting your knife. Maybe by mid 2018.

So is it "ever" or "mid-2018"? o_O The guy just placed an order, 90 days from now is December 13th.

The 4.1s are shipping out in regular batches and every once in awhile somebody on here is one of the recipients (not very often, there are thousands of 4.1 orders and a few dozen people who might be posting here about theirs). I am waiting on a long overdo 4.1 2nd as well, but I've received my 4.7, my 5.1, and before that I had NeckerII's that were long past the expected date that arrived, etc. etc.

@Organic556 you can wait it out or run, it's up to you. Don't expect less than 90 days, though ;)

I'm in for the long haul on an SK 6, GSO 6, GSO 10 and GSO 12.

L LukeTheSpook go with your gut on this. Nobody would blame you if you didn't feel comfortable waiting. Like I said, I'm in, but I understand not everyone is comfortable with that calculated risk.

I hit 185 today. At this point Im at a crossroads. Roll the dice on getting a refund or "in for a penny, in for a pound" on the waiting times.
Tough call and I understand your predicament. I don't recall what you're waiting for, but as Chiral said, there are "thousands of 4.1 orders and a few dozen people who might be posting here", and S!K hasn't been providing production/shipping numbers, so it's really very hard to say. It does seem, however, as Chiral also said, that 4.1s are shipping in larger numbers and the fact that they have opened up orders for F2s gives me some hope that quite a few are in the pipeline. I suppose - again assuming you're waiting on a 4.1 - that my advice would be to wait a couple of weeks and hope that there will be some news to help inform your decision.

I'm waiting on two 4.1 seconds
A 7/7 second
A 4.1 ugly Betty
Two 2.7 seconds
A 6
A 12

I think that's it. So I've committed some serious coin.

I honestly feel Survive! will get everyone's knives out to them eventually and the company won't fail to the point where customers lose their investment. The time issue is what is the problem.

I've waited a long time for the 6 so I'm sticking it out. I have a 4.1 2nd on order to which I will also just patiently wait for. But after that I won't buy anything anymore until things are fixed. I always knew time was an issue with S! but not to this scale.
However I still do not have regrets placing the orders I have and would not do it differently if I could go back in time. I just don't think I'd do it again once my orders arrive, unless issues are resolved.

^ So you think that even if the company went under, that Guy would still send out the knives he has in-house? I sure hope so!!! That would be a pretty crappy thing to do, keep all the product people payed good money for! I would even get a couple jobs so I could keep working to get the people those knives!
I just ordered(on top of my factory 2nd, 2X-7/7's and a 4.1) a first 2.7 when they popped up, a 20CV 4.1, and an Ugly Betty 4.1 when they popped up in the past few weeks. Fingers crossed. I am 5+ months out on my first orders.

^ So you think that even if the company went under, that Guy would still send out the knives he has in-house? I sure hope so!!! That would be a pretty crappy thing to do, keep all the product people payed good money for! I would even get a couple jobs so I could keep working to get the people those knives!
I just ordered(on top of my factory 2nd, 2X-7/7's and a 4.1) a first 2.7 when they popped up, a 20CV 4.1, and an Ugly Betty 4.1 when they popped up in the past few weeks. Fingers crossed. I am 5+ months out on my first orders.
If the company went completely down i'm not sure about where our knives would end up... I just personally don't think the company will go down.
And knice list :thumbsup: Hope you/we get them sooner rather than later. My 4.1 is also in 20cv and 6 in 3V

So good news kind of. Survive knives finally got back to me About the email I sent to them that stated I was opening a dispute against them. Then emailed me back today saying that I will be getting a full refund and they won't be taking the 10% restocking fee since they didn't make the 90 day deadline they once told me. They said it might take some time for the FULL refund to go threw but they guaranteed me it will go threw. So hopefully this is true and they will keep their word and give me the full refund soon enough.

Back