What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Glad to help Jeff. I have a few tips, hopefully they are concise enough.

The bone craftsman you posted today has rogers bone, which was not used by schrade.
The blades are also very important in discerning, there will be differences in the shape of the blades and the way swedges are done. This is best shown with side by side knives, but for example one of the most noticeable blade differences is the 4” schrade stockmans had a swedge that went over the top of the long pull and to the tip instead of starting in front of the pull like your ulster craftsman. In 1957 schrade moved in with ulster in the ellenville factory after a fire at the walden factory, and not long afterwards the two brands blended into the same product. At that point the only differences between ulster and schrade you will see on the 4” stockmans is the swedge and pull of the main blade and blade finish with ulsters being high polished with schrades glazed, and the swedges being the same differences as aforementioned. The secondary blades were identical then and the knives used the same swinden frame. This is the meaning of the term “ulster blades” when one is referring to a schrade. They all used delrin handles at this time but there was still variation. In an ironic twist the ulsters would often have peachseed delrin while the schrades had the wavy jig style delrin. Ulster probably had more craftsman branded knives than schrade in this period but there were a lot of both, some craftsman patterns being specific to one brand and some shared by both brands. For example the ulster 58OT, schrade 855, craftsman 9472, craftsman 9553, and craftsman 9505 are all the same pattern only discerned by variation in branding, handles/shields and stainless or carbon blades. The craftsman scout knives of the delrin era were all ulster styled and occasionally you will see one with a schrade stamp.
Wow~ sure appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge, Paul.
My poking around on the internet, mostly BF and AAPK archives is being hampered by all of the missing photos.

The Rogers bone and blade swedging has me convinced. Plus, it’s not Swinden construction.

thanks again;)

I've had this orange bone Rough Rider stockman for 5 or so years, carried and used from time to time. Had it in the pocket for the past 3 days and I should carry it more often, it really is a nice knife. The only flaw I can detect is a very minor and only slightly visible area of blade rub on one blade only. Carried today with a Heritage jack in rosewood.
I've been away from this thread a few days so playing catch up, good to see so many post and fine knives showing up here daily. 👍View attachment 1646426

JbX9LCL.jpg

Wow~ sure appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge, Paul.
My poking around on the internet, mostly BF and AAPK archives is being hampered by all of the missing photos.

The Rogers bone and blade swedging has me convinced. Plus, it’s not Swinden construction.

thanks again;)

You’re welcome Jeff. Another thing to keep in mind is schrade did not use swinden construction until around 1961. Some models never made the switch to swinden (like the 804), but schrades previous to 1961 were all pinned.

Always mean to carry this Forum Knife more, and today seemed like a good time :) Pairing it with my regular Hartshead Barlow. Have a good day everyone :thumbsup:

gBR344F.jpg

OSk8vlW.jpg
A real nice combo to have with you, Jack!😎👍
Carrying my Usual Lamb and a Thrifty Ranger Jack
You should have lots of flexibility with that pairing! "Thrifty" is the word of the day!🤠👍
Regular Stockman of the Week is a RR stag medium stockman, one of my favorite examples of the pattern:
stagmed.pile.closed.jpg
Again, 4 great knives in 4 great photos GT!! I do like your RR Stockman!😎👍
RMv9kVc.jpg

There was some sun yesterday.
A nice colorful pic, Jer! The Serape is a nice touch!👍
I’m going with Jack, and a thrifty little canoe. 😊View attachment 1645983
Nice pairing, Todd! There's that fine word again, Thrifty!😎👍
The Wagon Wheel is open after the fire the other day so, that's where I'm headed for lunch - Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and white gravy. Don't expect any major challenges so, I'll be totin this 055 Buck.

View attachment 1646009
🙂👍
Glad your spot is back open! I'm sure they are glad to see you!

Love the 055! I had found one a few years ago along a sidewalk. It really won me over, perfect watch pocket carry. Then a couple of years later I lost it this time! So we only borrow things sometimes before they move on to someone else to enjoy a while!👍
I’m using @JohnDF’s lovely slip so I don’t crack that old bone banging around. I’m a man of action, ya know.
Also have this Wenger Backpacker, which for me is an ideal 2 layer SAK...
A56DDBEC-E399-4C80-ADF4-D41BBEB1026A.jpeg
Have an action filled day!
Nice pair, Jeff! Great that you rescued the Craftsman and gave it a loving home!🙂👍
Cool shot, Jake!
Planning on doing some forging?👍

Today's carry...
u1RiKB6.jpg

No surprises from me today…
I always enjoy seeing your Okapis! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
What's going on in the background? Some kind of rotation?

My wife and I welcomed twins a couple of weeks ago, so I really like how these Twin Children barlows have two ‘21s on the tang ...
TC 152121
W😲W! That knife is just made for your new twins with the TC interpretation and the twin 21s; congrats on the double addition to the family! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Possum and Mustang
Beautiful pair of animals! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Possum and a Eureka Jack
I haven't developed much appreciation for micarta yet, but that sure is a handsome pair! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Started out the week with these two Schatt & Morgan slicers. :)
Splendid pair of S&Ms, JJ, and I don't see a hint of sadism or masochism in either knife! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Carried this ‘92 Winchester Toothpick today.
Terrific toothpick! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Carrying my 2018 Guardians SFO in ebony today, seen here in its younger days, and a Random Tuesday Gerlach knife from Poland :thumbsup:
Great to see the Guardians ebony lambsfoot, Jack, and that Polish knife is very interesting! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Today with A.Wright & Son Lambsfoot (Guardians 18) in Ebony wood.
Wonderful ebony lambsfoot, José! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Going with a couple of all-time favorites today...
Covetable couple of cutters, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6254 Case XX from 1981 with a Peabody Coal Co. blade etch for Trapper Tuesday.
The sedum is blooming. Grandma called it Live Forever, which is accurate. These are from divisions off plants 60 or more years old. Just take your spade and stab out a chunk of root, stick it in the ground where you want some more. And unlike a lot of hardy perennials, this one will not spread like crazy and take over. Where you stick a chunk of root, it will establish a nice clump, but it stays put.
A welcome inhabitant in my garden.
My current “Favorite Knife” 🤔 with the walking stick/cudgel I made using a brass harness hame on red elm. Inspired by and instigated by Harry @Old Engineer who has made and given away a few of these.
Harry should be getting home today from the hospital with his new knee, so hopefully he’ll be posting again soon.
3 excellent photos, Jeff, and some info of interest! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

My most used in the last weeks:
View attachment 1644566
I can see why that superb sowbelly would get plenty of use! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Well, we need groceries so, we're headed to town pretty soon to the Holiday Market and something to eat at the Brass Rail. The fire at the Wagon Wheel Cafe wasn't terribly bad and the owner says they ought to be griddle ready by tomorrow afternoon so, Chicken Fried Steak should be available when we go to town Thursday. Today, I'll be totin the Remington again - just something I like about this knife.

View attachment 1644593
Glad to read that the fire couldn't prevent the Wagon Wheel from rolling along, ED! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I think I can conquer the world with these two - oh, and coffee. Have to have that too - it's an important ingredient for world domination.
Good to have goals, Dylan! 🤓:thumbsup:
Is the coffee as black as that dark duo of knives? :cool::thumbsup::cool:

They are out there. The good thing is that sometimes you can get an otherwise good knife cheap.
It takes a lot of time, a steady hand, and a lot of practice to remove grinder, sandpaper, and file damage from a blade. I start with paper coarse enough to remove the damage, using a perfectly flat marble backing surface. Then, work my way up through the grades, each one removing the scratches from the previous one. And always alternate direction. Going up to 800 or 1200 gets a decent satin finish. It’s really difficult if you want a real high polish, and you really need to watch the heat if you use a power buffing wheel. Plus, it’s easy to get ripples, so I usually finish up with crocus cloth and call it good enough.
More helpful info, Jeff; thanks! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

CASE XX Peach Seed Jig Dark Red Bone Medium Jack CV
... and some fresh cut Yellowstone area Elk chews for Mason
Jewel of a medium jack, Jim! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Is Mason dealing OK with the loss of Sugar?

Superior slip and sleeveboard! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
You must be ecstatic over the roll the Cardinals have been on lately! 😁

Colorful couple of classics! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
(Add a green knife and you've got an always-popular "traffic signal shot". :rolleyes:🤓)

I had these with me today. View attachment 1644928
Had to be a good day with that pair, Todd! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I'd have a hard time kicking a lambsfoot and a chestnut jigged mini trapper out of my pocket.

Fantastic old fish knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Happy Hump Day !!
Rough Ryder Classic Carbon II Half Hawk
T10 carbon steel blade.
Black micarta handle with blue under liners, brass liners, pewter shield.
3.875 inch closed.
Appealing knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I have an old tobacco bone Half Hawk with 2 stainless blades that I'm extremely fond of.

I'm carrying two knives gifted to me, a few years apart, by my dear friend Duncan 'The Legend' @Campbellclanman :) The first is the 2011 Traditional Sub-forum Knife, which Duncan took out of his pocket to send to me. For me, that kind of gesture represents what The Porch is really about :) The second is a Lambsfoot made by Needham Brothers, which Duncan obtained for me with the help of our beleaguered Man of the Hour, Barry @gunstockjack . Thanks for all your kindness over the years Duncan, and good luck Barry! ;) :thumbsup:
Notable pair of knives on their own merit, Jack, but adding the sentimental connections takes them to an irreplaceable level! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Back