What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

We drove over to Brodhead , Wisconsin today to go to our favorite Cheese Factory to get some Stettler Swiss and mixed Munster and Cheddar Curds , and have a great cheese sandwich . First time we have been there for over a year . Decatur Dairy

This is the view of the area immediately around the cheese factory . Just a small factory out in the country . 3 miles west of Brodhead .

Knife Content : Todays Carry : Northfield Stag 47 and 77 Barlow

Harry

Edited to add : They also have some great Ice Cream

Forgot to post this Monday, but figured it’s not too late to share. My daughter got her first hair cut Monday afternoon and I carried this fine Case Half Whittler, which was a very generous gift from my fellow Buccaneer bigfish64 bigfish64 . I love the pattern, and my wife seems to use it quite a bit also. It stays in a catch-all plate in our kitchen. I won’t forget the knife I was carrying for her first hair cut. Thanks Todd!!!
eZ5s2Fn.jpg
cjKizNY.jpg

My daughter thought the bath that night was going to mess up her new haircut 😂😂

Forgot to post this Monday, but figured it’s not too late to share. My daughter got her first hair cut Monday afternoon and I carried this fine Case Half Whittler, which was a very generous gift from my fellow Buccaneer bigfish64 bigfish64 . I love the pattern, and my wife seems to use it quite a bit also. It stays in a catch-all plate in our kitchen. I won’t forget the knife I was carrying for her first hair cut. Thanks Todd!!!
eZ5s2Fn.jpg
cjKizNY.jpg

You’re very welcome Mark. Love that picture, so cute! 😊👍

When their Pale Ale first came out. I remember thinking how bitter it was, not really considered very bitter now. 😄

Yeah it’s pretty mild compared to what’s available now.

Like your style Bart. 😊👍

Thanks, Todd.

View attachment 1724461View attachment 1724462View attachment 1724463

The 48 pattern is an excellent platform for the wharncliff trapper. What an elegant and useful tool.

Those do look like a great knife. There are a few knives I kick myself for not getting and that is one of them. Especially because some varieties sat on shelves for a while.

Oh, those are most excellent. I can see why they made the cut. 🤠:thumbsup:
I don't know if I'm brave enough to cut my GEC knives to just 5... I couldn't choose.

I spent a whole year buying and selling GEC knives just to try as many patterns as I could (this was before the secondary market was so inflated, and I could limit myself to spending no more than $150 max for a GEC). I think that has helped make it easier for me to part of the ones I buy for myself. I don't sell gifts, although I have given one or two gifted knives away for a special reason. There have been many really desirable GECs come and go through my collection, and I've taken the perspective that it is more enjoyable to give others a chance to possess and enjoy a well made knife as it would be for it to sit in my collection, uncarried (or rarely carried)--especially since a lot of the nice GECs I have had a chance to try required someone selling it to me out of their collection.

Just curious , but what did you sell that you would like to have back ????

Harry

That's a tough question! I don't really mind losing what I recently sold--they were great knives (a 74 stallion recovered by Glennbad, a 44 gunstock blade delete and recover by Javi Garcia, a 66 stag white owl), but I had other versions of the same patterns (a 74 stainless mustang recovered by Glennbad, a Moran gunstock, a 66 pony jack I won in a giveaway) to enjoy. I think of the many GECs I've sold that I regret, the top three would be:

1. #35 Harness Jack/#35 Churchill
2. #93 Lambsfoot
3. #76 Western Outlaw

Certainly this. The White Owl took off from the USA on 30th Nov and clearly struggled across the Atlantic....arrived in Helsinki 3rd Jan where Posti decided to detain it another 15 days before reaching its well earned perch last night.

Many sincere thanks to @btb01 for arranging all this and likely enduring angst over its fate, really appreciate it Barrett.

Some words about the knife: owners have complained about blade-rub on theirs, none of that here at all. Maybe people are not skilled in opening? Beautiful light colour version, with first rate W&T, no blade play at all, no perceptible gaps, spring flush open/close. Excellent radiusing and overall finish, very high quality indeed. This run of White Owls appear to my eye to have a slightly broader spring than the earlier ones, anybody else notice this?

There's been a fair bit of interesting discussion about nail nick access recently. One of the reasons I prefer a blade each end to a side by side Jack is that you don't get this potential problem :cool: However, if a knife has same side nicks then BOTH must be accessible, otherwise the knife is simply dysfunctional. I don't really see the allure of same side nicks and as others have noted, the type of master blade makes a difference, so in many ways nicks on each side is more trustworthy. Looking at an all steel Eureka, the Spear master sits low but the Coping minor doesn't inhibit opening as the Eureka's nick is set well back, so GEC can do it if they want.

ZSYouxB.jpg
Congrat Will, so many great ones last year but The White Owl is one of my favorites:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Love the golden hue of that Stag -- nice!
Thank so much, sometimes I look at old photos when it was mostly black and think it looked better but then I say, no, aged stag looks better, hard to decide, lol. ;):D

QjHv2D2.jpg

Last edited:
eZ5s2Fn.jpg
cjKizNY.jpg

Well, at least you didn't use the Case for her hair cut. ;)

Back