What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Happy Sunday! Lazing around this afternoon with the Eureka Jack, and trying out some yerba mate thanks to influence and advice from @CelloDan

OPSYIgK.jpg
Sencha here
p8wzAAB.jpg

am always excited to see those two JJ, as well as being superb knives individually, they pair beautifully together. Great bone, and I love the spectacular blade on the Rope Knife :cool: :thumbsup:
Thank you very kindly for the nice comments, Jack!!! :) :thumbsup:
Have a good weekend everyone :) Starting mine with my Hartshead Barlow, and a Case Penknife for Metal Monday :thumbsup:

Rg2LI7O.jpg

JSvUW0v.jpg
You never cease to amaze me with the amount of super cool Metal Monday totes you have; it looks like a real champ with your Hartshead Barlow beauty! 😁 :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Today I am taking an antique Japanese knife about 57-62 Rockwell and completely restoring it. Including new handles and sheath which is intricately inlaid in pearl, sapphire, ruby, jade and even the inlays have inlays to bring out the pattern. I have heard a few only overlays; those are simple if working with thick pure silver make a ceramic mold and work with heat to shape to the mold and either weld or solder in place. If you're working with thin, then do several overlays and solder together drawing the solder between layers is correct. Hide the seems very well. Although I do make knives, and often do, I also on custom work that runs thousands employ the services of Master Maker out of Seki to make the blades and water cool and clay them properly as it gets both a very well-known maker then I do about 100-200 hours' worth of inlay or carving and overlay on the sheath and handles. You can do gold or bronze overlays also, but the stock comes in gold at 24 K and if using 20 gauge it better be a small knife. Today I am kicking it, as I usually would be doing custom work. But if you're doing anything start with a silk purse first, because you can't make a cow's ear into one. Which is why I always start with the best stock material before making anything and make sure I have the best blade if I am doing custom work. Because if someone is paying thousands of dollars for it. It has to be of high quality. But on overlays, I am very glad that you can buy sheets at a certain gauge. Can you imagine having to take all the time to make a blade, do all the carving etc and then have to pound a sheet of metal flat and thin to go over it. It is nice to just be able to order it. People do ask how you overlay over a carved wood sheath and not burn the wood beneath it. Usually with overlapping and several thinner sheets where the ends never are in the same place and the solder is done between layers at different times. For obvious reason I have not tried platinum but if someone were to give me some that would be fun.

So today instead of doing all of that I decided to do nothing at all.

Just a suggestion, guys, but with the issues Spark has been having with the forum, how about we start a new thread and put this picture heavy 10,589 page behemoth to bed?

Just a suggestion, guys, but with the issues Spark has been having with the forum, how about we start a new thread and put this picture heavy 10,589 page behemoth to bed?

Not that I'm against that idea, because I've recently experienced quite a bit of forum loading lag and 522 server errors as others may be experiencing ... I just don't understand how archiving this thread would help with any bandwidth issues. Looking at Blade Forums Media Page I see that ALL the media in total that is stored on the BF server from all members, is a grand total of 1.7GB.

You see, most of the pictures in this "behemoth" are not actually loaded on the BF server but are simply links to third party photo hosting sites. I use Imgur for example.

I guess my point is that I don't really see how archiving this thread would help with Spark's "issues".

Don't fight me on this bro ;) :D

kdcmDY1.jpg

Not that I'm against that idea, because I've recently experienced quite a bit of forum loading lag and 522 server errors as others may be experiencing ... I just don't understand how archiving this thread would help with any bandwidth issues. Looking at Blade Forums Media Page I see that ALL the media in total that is stored on the BF server from all members, is a grand total of 1.7GB.

You see, most of the pictures in this "behemoth" are not actually loaded on the BF server but are simply links to third party photo hosting sites. I use Imgur for example.

I guess my point is that I don't really see how archiving this thread would help with Spark's "issues".

Don't fight me on this bro ;) :D

kdcmDY1.jpg

Which means that every time someone loads this thread, those pictures get pulled from an outside source, creating more bandwidth usage. I know this thread survived the last monster thread purge, I think because Spark never thought to look here. I'm just suggesting it may be time to try helping out the whole forum instead of "Porch first, last and only".

Back