What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Bottle Cap and Marble Dreams

32652426450_c52fc22598_b.jpg

Did you get a chance to whittle that day, Greg, or did the drive to see the sea foam puppies running on the beach take up all your discretionary time?

My canoe this week is a Rodgers Wostenholm gunboat (thanks, TsarBomba):
sozCGlf.jpg

- GT

I did get to whittle that day and yesterday, too. It was a good long weekend. :)

Interesting canoe. Is it tipsy with that third blade?

Lovely Robeson, Ernie. :thumbup:

It's TC Tuesday for me:

9b46ee93f2373cb6a842210f3b615bdf.jpg

Nice TC.

Osage is easier to work with when it is first cut or you have good sharp tools.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I really didn't have much of a discussion with the guy as he was just passing by, but he mentioned something about carbide(?).

A piece of Candy, Dean! I see why it deserves your pocket :D and affection. A venerable old tree and thanks for the look.

Thanks, Gev! I always stop to look at this tree as it is a connection to my two favorite hobbies - knives and hiking in nature. Close-up you can see some orange sections.

That's a good stockman, Jack. I have a few and carried the same one every day for many, many years.

Paul & Dean, thanks for the compliments on my photo. I'm no photographer, but I've taken enough shots that blind luck provides a couple of good ones! :rolleyes:
Beautiful bone on your matched pair, Paul, and the end cap on the 15 HJ is very appealing!
Dean, must be hard to resist carrying that ebony TC (Tree Climber??) every day!

Some of my knives for this week.

Moving from the sublime to the ridiculous, my Zorro Barlow:
F85W8t3.jpg

Thanks, Gary. That Zorro Barlow is far from ridiculous! I believe it is closer to the essence of what a Barlow represents in cutlery than many of the more expensive ones out there today. That is truly a boy's knife (and represents the kid in all of us). :thumbup::) I have a few Lone Ranger knives myself (there, my dark secret is out. I feel so much better).

I'm carrying Coco today.

Haven't posted in a loooooong time, just got busy with life, etc. I have missed the porch greatly, and hope to be around more often. (I tried to catch up on this thread, but it would take a solid week :) ).

Beautiful knife, Gev. I couldn't see enough on the tang to identify it. Who made it?

Its a Hammer Brand - New York Knife Co. Walden

I think thats a 66 in coco your carrying today? One fine knife indeed :thumbup: Great photograph.

Haven't posted in a loooooong time, just got busy with life, etc. I have missed the porch greatly, and hope to be around more often. (I tried to catch up on this thread, but it would take a solid week :)

I wondered where you had run off to Tom??? Nice to see you back along with your carries, I look forward to your upcoming combos:thumbup:

Last edited:
Its a Hammer Brand - New York Knife Co. Walden

I think thats a 66 in coco your carrying today? One fine knife indeed :thumbup: Great photograph.

Thanks for the info on your knife, Gev!

Yes, mine is a 66, Calf Roper Slim in cocobolo. And thank you.

Untitled by Josh, on Flickr

Amber Bone Texas Jack, my only Case at the moment and I am pretty impressed with it. For $38 its a steal, the edge was a little rough but it sharpened up so easy....I have yet to get a GEC to sharpen this quick. Just need to decide if it should be dyed cocoa brown or left to age as is.

Nice ones Alan. Same predicament, here. This is my early day carry to be switched out later. A 57 Wrangler, AKA The Stinger and a shell known as a Spiny Jewel Box.

cbbe39f92e1393d6c6d33dd31ea50141.jpg

Haven't posted in a loooooong time, just got busy with life, etc. I have missed the porch greatly, and hope to be around more often. (I tried to catch up on this thread, but it would take a solid week :) ).

Its good to see you, Tom ! We missed you too :D

Good to see you back Tom! Hope all is well with you and things are settling down a bit. :) Welcome back!

I remember reading about the qualities of a good hat as a boy (possibly Bernard Mason), which I was instructed should include a brim wide enough to shelter a good cigar in a rain-storm, and a crown for your horse and/or dog to drink from! :D :thumbup:

Good one! I know the saying, but did not know to whom it was attributed--I'll look it up. Well, I do appreciate a cigar every now and then, that part is covered--I can confirm... and I'll jus have to walk down to the nearby stables to test the horse-watering function! Sometimes folks from the stables ride their horses (or give lessons in riding) right down my street.

How do I get so far behind in so little time??!? :confused:

Enjoyed the posts about your reading program for the kids (which had me reminiscing about reading with my daughter over 25 years ago). What GECs have you selected for your family?

Cool reading list, Jack! When I was a lad, I repeatedly read a book titled Gods and Heroes that had belonged to one of my grandmothers when she was in school around 1920. Inspired me to take Latin in high school, take a Classical Mythology course in college. I need a Greek folder!! ;) Any recommendations?

- GT

GT,

Here are the GECs put aside: eldest daughter (10 in the spring) wanted the Kate, my son, just 7, gets the Congress and the double liner lock 23, next daughter, just 4, has the ez open, and youngest daughter has the liner lock 73 coming to her.

4lk6co.jpg

As for a Greek reading list--check out the Lattimore translations of the Iliad and Odyssey... they are closest to the originals, the ones I teach and recommend, and are simply beautiful. On a different, but oddly related note--Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian is worth a look. It is violent, grotesque, and yet sublime... and worthy of mention alongside Homer (I do not say that lightly).

Thanks for the comments and warm fellowship --Anthony

I'm carrying Coco today.

[/QUOTE]

I really love this pic--beautiful knife and setting. :thumbup:

You must have enjoyed the Super Bowl, Big Biscuit! My kids were counting New England out by the half; I informed them there was much football left to play--indeed there was. Excellent TC as well; I'll score one eventually. I'm patient.

Back