What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This post could go in the “Newest Addition” or even “Books and Blades” thread but since I’m carrying this new to me beauty today it will go here. Thank you @Chief for helping me locate this one. He went waaayyyy out of his way to help me and it’s much appreciated. He was also kind enough to send along a copy of a book to share with my kids. Gave it a little TLC but was carful to preserve some of its history and now it’s ready to get to work making new memories.

View attachment 815369

View attachment 815356
A great book Jake. Reading can take you anywhere and teach you anything. Nothing good that John does would surprise me. Taking a cue from the book title, he is a treasure.

View attachment 815447

Thanks to Travman, and a few other good Samaritans, I have learned to post photos finally! Thanks very much. However, I still cannot post directly from my iPhone, because the photos are too large. Anyone know how to reduce the size from my phone's photo gallery? I had to email this one to my computer, then post.

Anyway, today I carried this most traditional rosewood Lambsfoot with a pruner handle. It is straight from Sheffield! Thanks to Jack Black for providing one more avenue to spend money!

View attachment 815447

Thanks to Travman, and a few other good Samaritans, I have learned to post photos finally! Thanks very much. However, I still cannot post directly from my iPhone, because the photos are too large. Anyone know how to reduce the size from my phone's photo gallery? I had to email this one to my computer, then post.

Anyway, today I carried this most traditional rosewood Lambsfoot with a pruner handle. It is straight from Sheffield! Thanks to Jack Black for providing one more avenue to spend money!
While looking at your photo, click the edit button at the bottom:
IMG_7510.jpg
Then rotate/resize:
IMG_7512.jpg
Then upload your resized knife photo:
IMG_7507.JPG

Still in the honeymoon phase.
Lq8kGFS.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup: If you were only going to take two things back from Yorkshire, I don't think you could do better than that my friend! :D It's only very recently that Henderson's has got as far as York though! :eek: :D Your Mohawk is a beauty :) :thumbsup:
Sunday Best ;)

Thanks, Jack. :) I asked my family for only 2 things, and they succeeded in obtaining both!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'm ecstatic over my Mohawk canoe! :thumbsup: Superb seasonal lambsfoot shot!! :thumbsup::D

Today a modest one: my Klaas two-bladed gentlemans knife
dscf2461.jpg

Got it directly from the factory, when I visited Mr. Schiesen for a short shopping break on a business travel. It was a found by the owner in the endless shelfs of the factory building. It was produced in the 1970´s and forgotten. This happens from time to time, when they rifle through the shelfs of that old and somehow spooky building.
Indeed! It was very special to see the old factory building of Klaas in Solingen
IMG_3032-40-800x534.jpg

The factory store is in the ground floor of this building. and only a few rooms in this ground floor are still in use for the knife manufacturing. Serveral rooms in and shacks behind the building are full with boxes, which aren´t cataloged and it is only a fluke, what they find in it. Several old patterns are found this way and from time to time a few knifes are build from vintage original parts found unexpected in those boxes
Appealing knife, interesting photos, and fascinating story, Dirk! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

I just did a search, and it looks like I can order some Henderson's online! I'm putting it on my wish list, just to satisfy my curiosity about this legendary relish. :)
View attachment 815175
I've seen some of the sauces you use, r8shell, and I fear you'll find Henderson's Relish quite tame! :p I tried some of "the black stuff" as an agent for forcing a patina on my rosewood lambsfoot, but it seemed to have no effect for me. :confused::(

View attachment 815192 First day carrying my new, to me, 72!
Congrats, Lance! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I think it's a superb larger lockback!!

Wow, those are fantastic verdant green swirls on your Utica covers, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I've never had BBQ sea monster, how is it? :eek: Those things are huge!!
:D:D

BSCqDWPh.jpg

Have a GOOD day everyone! :)
Same to you, Greg! :thumbsup::) Nifty whittler! :cool::thumbsup: (I hope to reply to your PM before I go to bed tonight.)

Something special for Sunday. There were 125 of these made. Perfect in every way.
s5otMw0.jpg
After seeing that, Gary, a Biblical prophecy has come true: this "old man will dream dreams"!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT. They are about right for carrying in the pocket. And the old jigged bone does brighten the day when they come out. Your Russell canoe inspired me to bring out two old favorites of mine on this relatively slow and easy-going Sunday. The first is a cousin to your knife:

TNv2aaV.jpg

The second is one of the knives that got me started in BladeForums, a Schrade 2OT Premium Jack from 1961. It could use some fresh air and a walk-around.

AhT20Ye.jpg

- Stuart
I think your canoe is a sibling, not a cousin, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool:;) Do you know much about it? I've seen something on Pinterest suggesting that AG Russell recalls that Böker made them for him before 1974, and I saw an AAPK sale claiming they were made in 1969-70; can you confirm any of that? That 2OT MUST be the inspiration for a variation of the GEC #77, right?

Go to meetin' carry.

QI3Vawu.jpg
I used to sing an old hymn about saints robed in white apparel; that knife would be perfect for such a meetin', Jeff!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

I'm doing smoked pepper stout shredded beef on the Big Green Egg today. Here's the ingredients and my knife for the day!
View attachment 815270
The food looks GREAT, and the knife even better!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Coincidentally, I have a mug of that Guinness Original on the table right now! :D

Case Swayback Jack

What a magnificent classic, Andi!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Fine foot of a beautiful Buck, Grateful!

5K Qs 5K Qs
Thanks Gary. I was using it as a desk knife but a young lady in another group who collects lady leg knives saw it and went a little giddy over it so it's headed to Texas for Christmas. They dont seem to last. It's the third one I've owned and ended up gifting.
Very generous, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: You've had THREE of them? :eek: (Never drank much Nehi when I was young. My mom found a bottler/distributor of some local pop brand - I remember Kickapoo Joy Juice as one of their flavors! :D)

This post could go in the “Newest Addition” or even “Books and Blades” thread but since I’m carrying this new to me beauty today it will go here. Thank you @Chief for helping me locate this one. He went waaayyyy out of his way to help me and it’s much appreciated. He was also kind enough to send along a copy of a book to share with my kids. Gave it a little TLC but was carful to preserve some of its history and now it’s ready to get to work making new memories.

View attachment 815369

View attachment 815356
Congrats on the blades and the book, Jake! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Kudos to Chief! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Yes, it fits well in this surrounding. And as usual for Moki, the f&f is beyond everything I´ve seen. And Thanks, the scetching ist just against boredom in front of TV. So much sketches for the next knives to build and such a lack of time ;-)
You sketch them, then you make the knives, too?!? :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: To me, that's amazing, Dirk! I can barely make my bed! :rolleyes:

Thank you, GT. I only use a pocket slip if I'm carrying two knives in the same pocket. I made some a few years ago out of vegetable tanned leather scraps. I left that one undyed, just to see how it would age, and it's gradually getting darker - I guess from hand oil and dirt. :D
On a desktop pc, you can use alt codes.
Thanks for the info, r8shell. :)

Couple of intriguing knives of a kind I don't often see! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Braved the shopping crowds today for a quick Walmart run, carrying my Case 6318 medium stockman -- originally jigged amber bone, but re-dyed to this nice caramel color. I think this color fits the pattern better.

25229986248_f5793e6a4a_b.jpg
The dye job looks good, Ace! :thumbsup::thumbsup: To me, it now looks a bit like Case's chestnut jigged bone, which I like a lot, but the only medium stockman with chestnut jigged bone is the model with square bolsters that I don't care for at all.

Another knife in the kitchen these days is a little relative of the yellow slimline trapper I posted earlier: a Case yellow delrin CV pen knife. Here they are together, outside the kitchen:
6JGna9i.jpg

- GT

Very generous, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: You've had THREE of them? :eek: (Never drank much Nehi when I was young. My mom found a bottler/distributor of some local pop brand - I remember Kickapoo Joy Juice as one of their flavors! :D)
- GT
It seems that every time I post a photo of it someone gets a gift, plus one disappeared during a move. Non-knife people love them.

You guys really pulled out all the stops for your Sunday carries! :eek: :thumbsup:

View attachment 815369

View attachment 815356

Congratulations on both the knife and the book :thumbsup:

View attachment 815447

Really helpful folks here Leslie :) Nice-looking Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :) I asked my family for only 2 things, and they succeeded in obtaining both!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'm ecstatic over my Mohawk canoe! :thumbsup: Superb seasonal lambsfoot shot!! :thumbsup::D

Appealing knife, interesting photos, and fascinating story, Dirk! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

I've seen some of the sauces you use, r8shell, and I fear you'll find Henderson's Relish quite tame! :p I tried some of "the black stuff" as an agent for forcing a patina on my rosewood lambsfoot, but it seemed to have no effect for me. :confused::(

Congrats, Lance! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I think it's a superb larger lockback!!

Wow, those are fantastic verdant green swirls on your Utica covers, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

:D:D

Same to you, Greg! :thumbsup::) Nifty whittler! :cool::thumbsup: (I hope to reply to your PM before I go to bed tonight.)

After seeing that, Gary, a Biblical prophecy has come true: this "old man will dream dreams"!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think your canoe is a sibling, not a cousin, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool:;) Do you know much about it? I've seen something on Pinterest suggesting that AG Russell recalls that Böker made them for him before 1974, and I saw an AAPK sale claiming they were made in 1969-70; can you confirm any of that? That 2OT MUST be the inspiration for a variation of the GEC #77, right?

I used to sing an old hymn about saints robed in white apparel; that knife would be perfect for such a meetin', Jeff!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

The food looks GREAT, and the knife even better!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Coincidentally, I have a mug of that Guinness Original on the table right now! :D

What a magnificent classic, Andi!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Fine foot of a beautiful Buck, Grateful!

Congrats on the blades and the book, Jake! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Kudos to Chief! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

You sketch them, then you make the knives, too?!? :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: To me, that's amazing, Dirk! I can barely make my bed! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, r8shell. :)

Couple of intriguing knives of a kind I don't often see! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

The dye job looks good, Ace! :thumbsup::thumbsup: To me, it now looks a bit like Case's chestnut jigged bone, which I like a lot, but the only medium stockman with chestnut jigged bone is the model with square bolsters that I don't care for at all.

Another knife in the kitchen these days is a little relative of the yellow slimline trapper I posted earlier: a Case yellow delrin CV pen knife. Here they are together, outside the kitchen:
6JGna9i.jpg

- GT

Thanks my friend :) I'm a fan of a spicy sauce (Tabasco and others) myself, but Henderson's isn't 'spicy' in that sense at all, maybe 100 years ago the word meant something different here - or they just couldn't get hold of good chillis in Sheffield! :D Think of it like comparing a robust Zinfandel to a Sancerre, both good, just in different ways :thumbsup:

Your yeller Case knives look good together :) :thumbsup:

I'm carrying these two today, Guardians Lambsfoot and an Albert Oates Senator :) Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

Back