What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This one today, and what a great day it was.....

IMG_1874.jpg

I really like it, although I don't carry it very frequently. It's not a common knife - not like the 34OT. The fading etching on the blades read that this was a special edition run of 4000 in 2001. They were individually serial numbers - mine is 0479 (on top bolster, not visible because of light reflection). The pattern existed prior to that, but I really can't give you much more regarding the history. You can find them on the auction sites, but usually for exploitatively high prices. You'd be better off stopping at every Ace Hardware and the like you come across hoping for some old stock. I bought mine several years back for a very reasonable price from a member here. The only other USA 44OT I remember seeing here belongs to @george65.

To cram all 4 blades into the small 3 5/16" frame the main clip blade was shortened significantly compared to the 33OT or 34OT. It's actually even shorter than the 12OT peanut blade. I think the frame also a tad wider than the 34OT too, but I don't have one to compare it to (sacrilege, I know). The trade-off, obviously, is the added curved "wharncliffe" blade. Thin and needle sharp, this blade makes quick and easy work of packaging of all sorts. I believe the sheepsfoot and spey are the same as on the 34OT, but again, I can't compare.

I never bothered buying a Chinese/Taylor/Whatever made one to compare it to.
Aaron, thanks for the detailed report on your Schrade USA 44OT; I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your helpful reply! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really love your Okapi! :thumbsup: Some day I will look for one of those to check out in hand, they intrigue me.
Don't look to hard to find the knife I showed, they don't exist in that particular configuration, that one is a rebuild of a derelict stockman with a broken tip on the clip, and a broken back spring. Now it a single spring one off that I made to use up them old 440C blades.
Thanks for warning me about the "custom" nature of that Buck you posted, Duane! ;)
Looking forward to seeing how the patina develops :) Don't get me started, it's been relentless, if I never hear the word 'Paypal' again, it'll be too soon! o_O I really like that knife - and that you have it - and the tang-stamp is one of my favourites :) :thumbsup:
Nice line-up GT, how're you finding the Okapi? :thumbsup:
Jack, choice covers on your stag lambsfoot, your unicorn 25, and your baseball!! :thumbsup::cool:;) I like the multiplication knife from Blake, and one of the best things is the Richartz spouting whale tang stamp. I saw that on an electrician's knife at a gun & knife show once, and didn't realize what I was looking at; I regret not grabbing that knife! :(

Duane and Jack, thanks for the praise for my Okapi. :) The knife is quite inexpensive, but I like it a LOT; I think at heart I'm still just an old farm kid who likes simple work knives better than pocket jewelry (even though I don't have much real work fro my knives any more). I have a smaller, even less expensive simple sheepsfoot Okapi Biltong that I think I like even better than the Big Sable. Baryonyx carries them, Duane.

5K Qs 5K Qs Thank you, GT. Your selection is sublime and I like them all (the canoe looks to have horn or beautiful bone rather than painting), though I must confess an affection for the chestnut Case. However, that Remington is outstanding. Wow! I have some Remingtons that I haven't posted, yet, and believe that they will be humbled by that fine example. Thanks for sharing it.
- Stuart
Thanks for the encouraging words, Stuart. :) That Remington big Barlow has acres of first-class sawcut bone. Looking forward to seeing some of your Remingtons sometime! :cool::thumbsup:

I thought the Daedalus looked cool, different than anything I currently had, and when I saw it had been discontinued I went ahead and ordered it. It's comfortable enough for the tasks a small "gentleman's knife" is suited to. Opening mail, trimming threads, etc. There are a few nice details for a budget knife, like pinning the MOP inlay, rather than just gluing it on.
Thanks for the feedback, r8shell. :) My next buying spree will probably be around St. Patrick's Day, or April Fool's Day, or Easter, and maybe I'll fly close to the sun then. :D

Thanks GT! You got some fantastic chestnut bones!
Thanks, F_r! :) I definitely do enjoy the chestnut jigged bone CV series from Case! Speaking of which ...
Nice little knife, Will! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Is that teardrop stainless of Case's carbon steel? Thinking of making a chestnut bone CV muskrat my next Case chestnut purchase, but that wharncliffe-bladed teardrop has some definite appeal to me, too!

34OT today
8j8TnKph.jpg
Sweet Old Timer stockmans, delta boy and SteveC!! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I especially like the "seagulls" on the covers of the lower one in your pic, deltaboy! ;) Did you add those??

Packed up my knife collection today.

Ia3PhXI.jpg

I also dropped Eleanor off at the airport this morning. Not by herself, of course. :D She’s staying with grandma for a few days to avoid the cross-country drive part of this whole moving business. This will be her first time away from both of us, and she also happens to be exactly 18 months old today, so I figured it was a good day to carry the Nifebrite #71 I had with me the day she was born. It mostly served as a GEC tube opener today. :thumbsup:
Hope the move goes well, Barrett! Arizona to Minnesota in January is definitely "climate change"! :D Next time you see the big E, wish her a happy 1.5 half-B-day for me. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Ti Tuesday. Love this one!View attachment 834328
The handle is jigged titanium, Rob??? How cool is THAT?? :cool::cool::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Safe travels Barrett:thumbsup:

This one for me today.
n5oBhn.jpg
New 78 Stag showed up, into the watch pocket it goes

A1Y9mJw.jpg
Paul and ArchiveMoto, congrats on the handsome 78s - the stag/spear combo is outstanding! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a pretty, prized Peanut, lamco3!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The virtual cavalcade of captivating cutlery continues. ... My pocket pick is more plebeian.

Simple friendships become old ones:
uedgCae.jpg

CQ6yGiC.jpg

- Stuart
Alluring all-star alliteration, Stuart!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:;) And I'd call that Sabre Barlow with the arresting covers quite an aristocratic knife!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

With me today.
4LHJsKZ.jpg
Gosh, Gary, you've got the goods!! :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Miserable weather for outdoor pictures today so will have to make do with utilizing some of the light in my new office. Not ideal but hopefully not too unpleasant.

7XgLfhf.jpg
Hypnotic wood and wondrous horn, Dylan! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks like you have a nice view from your new office!! ;)

Just love seeing what everyone is carrying daily. Great pics everyone.

I’ve got these two today.

View attachment 834501
Powerful, praiseworthy pair, Hugh! I like blades and covers on both of them! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

Tip Top Tuesday.

Tip o' the hat for your Tip Top, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very impressive, Greg! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (What's the background of your photo?? I've looked at that more than at your knife, trying to figure out what it is and where it's from. :rolleyes:)

My non-Alox SAK of the Week is coincidentally a Vic Recruit that Greg "tuned up" for whittling and sent me (along with a little bust he carved); thanks, Greg:
fN14nZI.jpg

Alox of the Week is a Classic (thanks, Ken):
WkPrak7.jpg

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is my first knife, my Colonial Forest-Master from ca 1960:
belHxdc.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Belknap Blue Grass Barlow:
mgXcUih.jpg

- GT

GT- Yep, jigged titanium. Pretty cool modern take on a traditional knife. Enrique makes a heckuva knife!

It was a rescue knife. It was rusted shut and nasty, dirty. It sat for many years till I opened it and cleaned it up a little. It wasn't till the internet that I found out what it was. It was a company in business for 1 year out of a factory in NYC over 100+ years ago, open for 1 year before they were out of business. In that 1 year they made some beautiful knives. Iron bolsters with brass liners, the blades take a keen edge and hold it for a good while (How's that for a qualitative statement? ;) ) .

A quick touch up on a fine ceramic hone wasn't really even needed after about 20 printer paper boxes but I couldn't resist the photo op.

eEyWOe5.jpg
I remember reading your posts about that old beauty a few years back, was that one encrusted with paint when you found it? That seems to be part of what I remember...either way, she cleaned up real nice, and that broken blade still has a lot to offer, pretty cool info on its roots.

Very impressive, Greg! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (What's the background of your photo?? I've looked at that more than at your knife, trying to figure out what it is and where it's from. :rolleyes:)

Thanks GT. It’s the lid of a salt box we keep on our kitchen counter.

Glad it's going well Barrett :) LOL! :D Home Alone 2 was MY Eleanor's first cinema experience. When the film ended, she had enjoyed it so much, she cried because she didn't want it to end! :) I just sat there with my mouth open, shocked by the level of violence! :D :thumbsup:

btb01 btb01 Good luck with the move Barrett.

Safe travels Barrett:thumbsup:

Safe travels, Barrett! Hopefully you will be reunited with your little girl as soon as possible.

Hope the move goes well, Barrett! Arizona to Minnesota in January is definitely "climate change"! :D Next time you see the big E, wish her a happy 1.5 half-B-day for me. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks, guys! The moving truck comes tomorrow morning. They picked the Checker up today.

8sP6HQT.jpg

(I was a little disappointed; I was looking forward to seeing it loaded up on a big car hauler, but they sent a tow truck to take it to the other, presumably larger truck that’ll haul it to MN.)

I think I remember that Nifebrite. Have a great trip, Barrett!

Thanks, Dean. I’m carrying that #71 again today, but didn’t take a new photo, so here are some of its notable previous appearances.

A year and a half ago:

NaAScxK.jpg

Six months ago:

c1PI0le.jpg

sBI0Dz9.jpg

My every day carry since I it got before Christmas. I bought it as "one knife to carry" and that it has indeed been.
It changed my mind about the stockman style knives, because I never quite liked them in the end.
Maybe it's the serpent handle that does it? It's also perfect in size and I much prefer the rounded bolsters instead of the blocky ones on Case's knives.

Jack, choice covers on your stag lambsfoot, your unicorn 25, and your baseball!! :thumbsup::cool:;) I like the multiplication knife from Blake, and one of the best things is the Richartz spouting whale tang stamp. I saw that on an electrician's knife at a gun & knife show once, and didn't realize what I was looking at; I regret not grabbing that knife! :(

Duane and Jack, thanks for the praise for my Okapi. :) The knife is quite inexpensive, but I like it a LOT; I think at heart I'm still just an old farm kid who likes simple work knives better than pocket jewelry (even though I don't have much real work fro my knives any more). I have a smaller, even less expensive simple sheepsfoot Okapi Biltong that I think I like even better than the Big Sable. Baryonyx carries them, Duane.

My non-Alox SAK of the Week is coincidentally a Vic Recruit that Greg "tuned up" for whittling and sent me (along with a little bust he carved); thanks, Greg:
fN14nZI.jpg

Alox of the Week is a Classic (thanks, Ken):
WkPrak7.jpg

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is my first knife, my Colonial Forest-Master from ca 1960:
belHxdc.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Belknap Blue Grass Barlow:
mgXcUih.jpg

- GT

Thanks GT :) Richartz knives occasionally turn up over here, but ADEE usually beats me to them! :D I share your love of 'Peasant Knives', and like my two Okapis, the Biltong Knife being a gift from @r8shell :) That's a great line-up again, and I love Greg's carving :) :thumbsup:

You're going to have to start paying your parking tickets mate! :D :thumbsup:

Just this one for me today :) :thumbsup:

A.Wright SB Large Lambsfoot 4-4.JPG

sBI0Dz9.jpg

My every day carry since I it got before Christmas. I bought it as "one knife to carry" and that it has indeed been.
It changed my mind about the stockman style knives, because I never quite liked them in the end.
Maybe it's the serpent handle that does it? It's also perfect in size and I much prefer the rounded bolsters instead of the blocky ones on Case's knives.

Find yourself a Case 6318HE (or 3318 in yellow delrin). Preferably before the late 70's. At some point the frame changed from a svelte, tapered one to a thicker, squarer one (still rounded bolsters, but not tapered). The HE variant has the pen blade instead of the spey, which I and some others greatly prefer (otherwise, stick with an early 70's or earlier 6318). The newer 6318s, including modern ones, are still good (and probably still narrower than the GEC 66, but I can't make the comparison myself), but the older ones are so much more pleasing.

Thanks, guys! The moving truck comes tomorrow morning. They picked the Checker up today.

8sP6HQT.jpg

(I was a little disappointed; I was looking forward to seeing it loaded up on a big car hauler, but they sent a tow truck to take it to the other, presumably larger truck that’ll haul it to MN.)

Thanks, Dean. I’m carrying that #71 again today, but didn’t take a new photo, so here are some of its notable previous appearances.

A year and a half ago:

NaAScxK.jpg

Six months ago:

c1PI0le.jpg

What a cutie! I remember both of those pictures! She looks comfortable carrying that knife.

GT It's the wharncliffe bladed CV chestnut bone. Extremely pleased with it, fine F&F and flush in all 3 positions.

Thanks, Will

Back