What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Awesome! This is how a pocketknife should look! Makes me a little sheepish that so many of mine are bright and shiny.
A fellow on Instagram recently commented that in the past, pocketknives were tools and not fetish items. While we often talk about that here, how our grandfathers only carried one knife, his comment just resonated with me somehow.
Will the pocketknife ever resume that singular role, or have we elevated it to a point where it will always be a collectible, like fountain pens and watches?
I know that a lot of us actually use our knives hard, and it’s doubtful that a true “I only own one knife” man would be on BF, but it’s fun to ponder these thing. Excuse my rambling!

Everybody I know that owns a pocket knife has more than one, not because they like them as much as we knifers do, but because it's a thing that comes around fairly easily one way or another.

Thanks so much my friends, I am deeply touched :) :) :thumbsup: A belated Happy Birthday @pistonsandgears, that's a nice-looking watch :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic Dave :) :thumbsup:

Hope you're still enjoying your hols my friend, lovely part of the world :) :thumbsup:

Lagging behind today, and I still have these two with me from yesterday :) Thanks again for sharing in my Yorkshire Day fun folks :) :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 957884

Great carries and picture Jack:cool:
Thank you, Jeff!

I like the look of the bone on your Eureka, Paul. It has more of a randomness to the jigging. :thumbsup:
Thank you Dean, I agree about the jigging, have a great day:thumbsup:

It is a suit-and-tie day for me, which means I generally don’t carry my typical pocket fixed blade. So totin’ this sodbuster Jr. I set this edge at 30 degrees inclusive, and stopped at a semi-course stone. The edge lasts pretty good like this, and it slices very well.

IMG_0657-X3.jpg

Still trying to catch up with this runaway thread, but I'm starting to worry that I don't have what it takes! :eek:

Lots a great Stockman posted! Must’ve sensed that as I picked thissun up at a travel center in Wharton, Tx on my way back home here to the Houston area....

View attachment 955718
Superb Böker stockman, Josh! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

FBC, your ebony Guardians Lambsfoot is looking better than ever, especially with Dylan's latest Ram-Tough slip! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like this study in scarlet in the second photo! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Are those Victorinoxes with the clip blades the Garden/Floral model (that I thought only came with sheepsfoot)?? Look good! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I missed Stag Saturday this week, so thought I'd make up for it today ;) Have a good week everyone :thumbsup:

View attachment 955845

View attachment 955846
Delectable stag duo, even if it's a day late, Jack! ;):cool::cool::thumbsup:

Starting off my week with these two in my pocket! :thumbsup: :D

43687280532_2aa0db8a01_b_d.jpg
An older knife that looks new with the ironwood, and a newer knife that looks old!! You're a trickster, Ron! ;):thumbsup::cool::cool:

...I will start this week with a couple of Old Timers, a 194, and a 12.
View attachment 955887 View attachment 955888
I like that pair, Jeff; almost like the same knife in two sizes. :cool::thumbsup::cool:

John, please stop showing that desirable knife! You're creating a demand in my mind. :(:rolleyes: (Although I am kind of curious about the numerical sequence you're displaying in the repeated photos. Just numbering the appearances? :confused:;))

... a John Primble India Steel Works curved jack (1890-1940). At 3 3/4", it might be dubbed a New England Whaler, but seems too nautical for this old boy.
nyvTkyN.jpg

- Stuart
That knife, especially the color and jigging of the bone, is otherworldly, Stuart!! :eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Utica Cattle knife today

QSxKmNQh.jpg
Not "otherworldly" I suppose, but it's far up there in the Earthly knife pantheon, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Fantastic name for your knife, Ken! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Mine for today, I felt like more colorful choices this morning.

Awesome orange Farmer, Tom! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Splendid Imperial camper, Paul T.!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What model is that old Case, Nick? What a beauty! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

According to the date on the pic, I bought this Taylor Schrade 93OT about 2 1/2 years ago. This summer, I've discovered that it fits perfectly in the small pocket of my cargo shorts and it does not care if it gets wet when I'm watering the back yard(leaky hose). So it's getting carried a lot.

pAkO0nD.jpg
Great knife, Frank; I won a USA+ version in a Fausto GAW several years ago and I concur with your assessment. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 956429
It arrived! Flushed and oiled. I think this one will be a keeper.
Congrats on the attractive new gunstock, Joshua! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

A comely couple, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Two bad you didn't include some oregano or sage in the first pic:

... My backside was dragging my tracks out for the last two days! :eek: Now the monsoons are supposed to be here for three or four days so starting today I’m in relax mode! :D ...

42440990052_8f75fd9609_b_d.jpg
Distinctive duo to start what sounds like some well-deserved R&R, Ron! :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup:

The ground wasps no longer lurk among the sedom, so it’s safe to pose here. Tue more Schrades again, a 293Y, and an 881Y, which was a gift from @r8shell:).
View attachment 956578

Things are really happening in the garden now. May have to bump it up to zuchini for three meals per day rather than one!
Magnificent mellow yellow, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (Why do folks always plant SO MUCH zucchini?? ;))

That Queen doesn't look so bad to me, given my sharpening prowess. ;) I like having a wide bevel on a knife:
1) my old eyes can actually see it
2) doesn't the geometry imply the wider the bevel the more acute the angle, and I like under 20˚ per side.

The two that I am totin' today are a bit more pedestrian than the ones that I pocketed over the recent few days, but more practical. Vic Electrician and a Case Soddie Jr.

s5pOLvg.jpg

- Stuart
Pedestrian maybe, but certainly popular, and a couple of my favorite models! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Found my lil buddy sleeping with this knife and that helped me make my choice for today.
I would NOT trust a cat with a knife, but I'm admittedly not a cat person! ;):D

5K Qs 5K Qs Thanks GT! You've got some nice jigged bone today!
Nice selection Gary and thanks as always for taking the time to comment on as many posts as you do ! :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the encouraging words, Joshua and Steve. :)

Thanks, GT, and apologies for lack of ID. It's a W.H. Wragg (Sheffield, 1871-1983) English jack.
New to me, too, but long gone from the industry.
- Stuart
Thanks for the ID. :)

- GT

I am kind of curious about the numerical sequence you're displaying in the repeated photos. Just numbering the appearances?
It is a wonderful carry knife. Cheap and rugged, just don't mind using it or handing it to somebody else to use. The thin, flat, pointy blade makes it a great poker/slicer too. I figured a fellow Math Geek would see the number sequence. My plan is to carry it as long as I'm able to hold out and find new and interesting ways to number the days.

Great carries and picture Jack:cool:

Thanks a lot Paul :) :thumbsup:

Delectable stag duo, even if it's a day late, Jack! ;):cool::cool::thumbsup:

An older knife that looks new with the ironwood, and a newer knife that looks old!! You're a trickster, Ron! ;):thumbsup::cool::cool:

I like that pair, Jeff; almost like the same knife in two sizes. :cool::thumbsup::cool:

John, please stop showing that desirable knife! You're creating a demand in my mind. :(:rolleyes: (Although I am kind of curious about the numerical sequence you're displaying in the repeated photos. Just numbering the appearances? :confused:;))

That knife, especially the color and jigging of the bone, is otherworldly, Stuart!! :eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not "otherworldly" I suppose, but it's far up there in the Earthly knife pantheon, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Fantastic name for your knife, Ken! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Awesome orange Farmer, Tom! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Splendid Imperial camper, Paul T.!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What model is that old Case, Nick? What a beauty! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great knife, Frank; I won a USA+ version in a Fausto GAW several years ago and I concur with your assessment. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the attractive new gunstock, Joshua! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

A comely couple, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Two bad you didn't include some oregano or sage in the first pic:

Distinctive duo to start what sounds like some well-deserved R&R, Ron! :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Magnificent mellow yellow, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (Why do folks always plant SO MUCH zucchini?? ;))

That Queen doesn't look so bad to me, given my sharpening prowess. ;) I like having a wide bevel on a knife:
1) my old eyes can actually see it
2) doesn't the geometry imply the wider the bevel the more acute the angle, and I like under 20˚ per side.

Pedestrian maybe, but certainly popular, and a couple of my favorite models! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would NOT trust a cat with a knife, but I'm admittedly not a cat person! ;):D

Thanks for the encouraging words, Joshua and Steve. :)

Thanks for the ID. :)

- GT

Thank you very much for the compliments GT, and for the tune :D :) :thumbsup:

I like this study in scarlet in the second photo! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Are those Victorinoxes with the clip blades the Garden/Floral model (that I thought only came with sheepsfoot)?? Look good! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT
Thanks for the kind words,
Those are the SAK ‘Daypacker’ models, Garden Knives, single blade/sheepsfoot.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back