What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

JxRY5DN.jpg

This recently arrived from @gunstockjack so into my pocket it goes.

I liked the blackout on the Opinel #8 so much, I tried it on the Mora #2. Still need to rub it down with steel wool and mineral oil, but I like the look. Carrying these two today:

I work in an office, but we're a manufacturing office, so a pocketable fixed comes in handy.

Stunning. Bravo to you, sir, for actually carrying that beautiful piece of art. So many would just leave that in the safe. How could you carry anything else when you own a Lloyd Zulu in mammoth? :)
It's starting to save me money. When I think of buying something my first thought is how does it compare? Of course I still buy too many.

This knife confounds me, and not just because it is the only easy opener barlow that I own. It is too "fresh" to be from 1941 when John Russell/Harrington-Russell stopped making pocket knives. It could be from the 1974 batch of barlows that Schrade made for Harrington-Russell in 1974 to celebrate 100 years of Russell barlows, but those knives had Delrin covers. It could be a reproduction made by Boker, Colonial or Camillus under license from Dexter Russell. It is solidly made and the swedge narrows then thickens at the peak of the blade spine (above and forward of the nail nick), but there are two sunken pins on the pile side. I like carrying it, even at 5", but am not sure that it is what it is what it claims to be, other than another useful barlow.

VWT03Cy.jpg

KxRUW8q.jpg

l86FEvX.jpg

6spThb2.jpg

= Stuart

This knife confounds me, and not just because it is the only easy opener barlow that I own. It is too "fresh" to be from 1941 when John Russell/Harrington-Russell stopped making pocket knives. It could be from the 1974 batch of barlows that Schrade made for Harrington-Russell in 1974 to celebrate 100 years of Russell barlows, but those knives had Delrin covers. It could be a reproduction made by Boker, Colonial or Camillus under license from Dexter Russell. It is solidly made and the swedge narrows then thickens at the peak of the blade spine (above and forward of the nail nick), but there are two sunken pins on the pile side. I like carrying it, even at 5", but am not sure that it is what it is what it claims to be, other than another useful barlow.

VWT03Cy.jpg

KxRUW8q.jpg

l86FEvX.jpg

6spThb2.jpg

= Stuart

Cool Barlow !

An older knife that looks new with the ironwood, and a newer knife that looks old!! You're a trickster, Ron! ;):thumbsup::cool::cool:

Distinctive duo to start what sounds like some well-deserved R&R, Ron! :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup:
GT I thank you for the kind words my friend! :thumbsup: :)

Please don't judge the mug :p. I have an eclectic mug collection and this is the one I reached for today.

WHuQW30.jpg
Them there knives ain't too bad shabby neither! :thumbsup: Not to mention the photo, well done Dylan!!! :thumbsup::D

VWT03Cy.jpg

KxRUW8q.jpg

l86FEvX.jpg

6spThb2.jpg

= Stuart
Stuart I'm not anywhere near an expert on Russell Barlows, but I think it might just be the real deal! ;) However, if I'm wrong, you still have another beautiful and useful Barlow!!! :thumbsup: :D

That Queen doesn't look so bad to me, given my sharpening prowess. ;) I like having a wide bevel on a knife:
1) my old eyes can actually see it
2) doesn't the geometry imply the wider the bevel the more acute the angle, and I like under 20˚ per side.
Thank you, GT. I usually put an acute angle on my small blades, so the bevel often does look wide. It's just not usually so wavy and uneven. It doesn't look bad in that photo, because the glare is hiding most of the scratches. ;)

I'm still sticking with this pair:
Yorkshire Lambsfoot_3_001.jpg

The 66 pattern has really grown on me lately. It’s so useful! This was my carry choice for the day.

View attachment 957130
Joshua, Paul T., & Ken, those #66 Calf Ropers are splendid stockman knives! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

(BTW @kenspen nice touch with the Galapagos map...all of your photos are so well thought out with the thematic backgrounds!)
Totally agree with @Ratbert on this, Ken! ;):thumbsup::cool: My Spanish-speaking daughter helped me appreciate this particular photo even more. :):cool:

Added some watch pocket carry for the smaller cutting chores in life, a GEC #18 coyote w/Sangria Jigged Bone.

View attachment 957200
Yowza, that's VERY attractive bone on your Coyote, Ratbert! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Nice photo of an impressive trio, @deltaboy ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Kudos to Ron, Rachel, FBC, Tom, P&G, Gev, Jeff, Dave, & Harry for commemorating Yorkshire Day yesterday! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
August 1st is Yorkshire Day! I’m Totin this two in honor of all the ex-patriot Yorkshiremen and Yorkshirewomen, and all who call the County York home! :thumbsup: :)

35858019270_36a451b695_b_d.jpg

37643655256_6e678c2fec_b_d.jpg
In honor of Yorkshire Day.
43725990772_c2d556e809_h.jpg
Thanks GT! Nice carries, I especially like the white (bone?) on the RR marlin spike :thumbsup:
For Wooden Wednesday and Yorkshire Day :)

Tom, my RR marlin spike IS white smooth bone; thanks. :) I really like your striped pair; is the lower life a rosewood lambsfoot?? I don't think I remember you having that! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Zebrawood for wooden wednesday. Lambs foot for Yorkshire day, and the watch was my birthday present which is also today.
View attachment 957422
Happy Belated Birthday, P&G! :) I saw in the Yorkshire Day thread that you and a daughter share the 8/1 birthday, and you're 10 times as old as she is (40 and 4). Be aware that she's catching up fast, though. 3 years ago, you were 37 times as old as she was, and 16 years from now you'll be less than 3 times as old as she will be! :eek::rolleyes:
With a Stannington Smile in honor of Jack Black and Yorkshire Day ( c. 1837 - 1907 ) And a tip of the hat to your family and their connection, Jack :D

20859511900_634b935f1d_b.jpg
Getting ready to go out and grabbed my rosewood Ettrick for Yorkshire Day!

A1uvfmY.jpg
Pic was taken at the Homestead 1912 Oxen team, my Aunt, and Uncles.View attachment 957646
I admire the Ettricks, Jeff & Dave! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
It was a Two TEWs Wednesday for me today and I made some Yorkshire Pudding .

The Yorkshire Pudding went great with Beef Stew for the main course and also with some Cherry Pie filling .
Harry
IMHO, you went above and beyond in your Yorkshire celebrations, Harry! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had surgery Friday and am recovering. Today, I am going to go outside and get the mail, woohoo! My carry for this special event and my in-house knife today is this Case Teardrop.

Sublime teardrop, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Even though folks at BF might be expected to welcome "going under the knife", I doubt if that's truly the case for most of us. :rolleyes: I hope your surgery wasn't too serious, that it was completely successful, and that you'll be back to daily hikes much longer than a trip to the mailbox ASAP! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

... I do have a wee celebrant for Wooden Wednesday. A 2 3/8" Cattaraugus boy's knife (CCC/Little Valley/N.Y. 3-line stamp on tang 1886-1963):
In case he runs into some challenges/challengers during the day, he has a couple of larger French cousins nearby:

HRe3God.jpg

- Stuart
Nice knives, Stuart, and a fine musical choice. I have LPs of John Prine's 1st album and "Sweet Revenge" (3rd?), and even though he was one of my favorite songwriters back then, I didn't keep up with his career. :(

Sweet Sword, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Farmboy carried over from yesterday but added the Eureka just because it is such a great knife:thumbsup:
q5v0iz.jpg
Couple of handsome knives, Paul! Satisfying spey on the Farmboy! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wanted to show the sheath I made, it can still be improved. My leatherwork skills are rudimentary. Still this will work as a pocket sheath. No doupt this will fit other knives of similar sizes, or knife and a small light. The slim Opinel will get the same treatment as the nr 8.

2TLpTIp.jpg
I admire the stitching on your sheath! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I also like whatever you've done to the handle of that Opinel. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Have you described the process somewhere?

Still looking good! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (Does Case call that a 1-blade wharncliffe mini trapper? It's almost lambsfooty. :rolleyes:) Like that RR stag canoe, too. ;)

Grandad’s 101st Birthday today, so I’m starting my month long carry before I send it on.

44_AA2_A11-18_AC-4539-8_A0_C-0839_D2537815.jpg
Happy birthday to your grandfather!! :cool::thumbsup::cool: 101 is impressive, no matter what direction you read it!

My Alox knife this week is a Vic Electrician (thanks, Greg C):
electrician.plain.jpg

My non-Alox SAK is a Recruit:
recruit.open.jpg

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs Thank you GT! It’s a half congress 62052 CASE XX U.S.A. 1965-1969. I was a dog person until I found her, she’s truly a special one. All my non-cat friends fall in love with her when they meet her. Heck, I even got her tattooed on my arm! Here it is with the half congress I’m toting again today.

Back