What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Sublime teardrop, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Even though folks at BF might be expected to welcome "going under the knife", I doubt if that's truly the case for most of us. :rolleyes: I hope your surgery wasn't too serious, that it was completely successful, and that you'll be back to daily hikes much longer than a trip to the mailbox ASAP! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Alox knife this week is a Vic Electrician (thanks, Greg C):
View attachment 958103

My non-Alox SAK is a Recruit:
View attachment 958104

- GT

Thank you for your kind concern, Gary! Recovery is an up and drown process and much harder than I remember it being in the past. But then I am getting older. :)

I like your Victorinox Variety for today. The Recruit is an unsung hero of SAK.

@5K Qs ,
Thanks for taking the time to make kind compliments! You are up to the task.

Re: too much zuchini... does not compute!:eek:
I rotate- the nightshades, tomatos, peppers, and potatos should not be grown in the same section of soil as the year before to cut down on diseases.
This year I dedicated one 20x20 ft section to summer squash- 1/2 golden and 1/2 green zuchinis. That’s where my tomatos were last year. In another section, which grew potatos last year, I have winter squashes - acorn, butternut, and spaghetti squash.

Plus, I compost, so last years’ squash seeds come up all over, and I usually let them grow, especially under the pole beans. The really cool thing about the volunteers is the genetic variation. I usually get a wheelbarrow full of really odd shaped gourds and little multicolored pumpkin type fruits that Mrs Fleschwund uses for fall decorating.
Genetics is cool.

In the meantime, we eat a LOT of zuchini while the eatin is good. Sauteed with onions, garlic, and tomatos, with some oregano, dill, and maybe a little cheese... that’s some good stuff.:)

@5K Qs ,

I rotate- the nightshades, tomatos, peppers, and potatos should not be grown in the same section of soil as the year before to cut down on diseases.
This year I dedicated one 20x20 ft section to summer squash- 1/2 golden and 1/2 green zuchinis. That’s where my tomatos were last year. In another section, which grew potatos last year, I have winter squashes - acorn, butternut, and spaghetti squash.

Plus, I compost, so last years’ squash seeds come up all over, and I usually let them grow, especially under the pole beans. The really cool thing about the volunteers is the genetic variation. I usually get a wheelbarrow full of really odd shaped gourds and little multicolored pumpkin type fruits that Mrs Fleschwund uses for fall decorating.
Genetics is cool.

In the meantime, we eat a LOT of zuchini while the eatin is good. Sauteed with onions, garlic, and tomatos, with some oregano, dill, and maybe a little cheese... that’s some good stuff.:)

Have you ever tried zucchini on the grill? Brush with some olive oil, lay on the grill until tender and seared, shake on some grated Parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. Good stuff!

This pair today
JOY5tk8.jpg

gjmB29N.jpg

@5K Qs ,

Genetics is cool.

Usually my mouth waters from the gorgeous knife photos but now I'm hungry and I already ate dinner.

Joshua, Paul T., & Ken, those #66 Calf Ropers are splendid stockman knives! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Totally agree with Ratbert Ratbert on this, Ken! ;):thumbsup::cool: My Spanish-speaking daughter helped me appreciate this particular photo even more. :):cool:

Yowza, that's VERY attractive bone on your Coyote, Ratbert! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Nice photo of an impressive trio, D deltaboy ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Kudos to Ron, Rachel, FBC, Tom, P&G, Gev, Jeff, Dave, & Harry for commemorating Yorkshire Day yesterday! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Tom, my RR marlin spike IS white smooth bone; thanks. :) I really like your striped pair; is the lower life a rosewood lambsfoot?? I don't think I remember you having that! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy Belated Birthday, P&G! :) I saw in the Yorkshire Day thread that you and a daughter share the 8/1 birthday, and you're 10 times as old as she is (40 and 4). Be aware that she's catching up fast, though. 3 years ago, you were 37 times as old as she was, and 16 years from now you'll be less than 3 times as old as she will be! :eek::rolleyes:

I admire the Ettricks, Jeff & Dave! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

IMHO, you went above and beyond in your Yorkshire celebrations, Harry! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sublime teardrop, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Even though folks at BF might be expected to welcome "going under the knife", I doubt if that's truly the case for most of us. :rolleyes: I hope your surgery wasn't too serious, that it was completely successful, and that you'll be back to daily hikes much longer than a trip to the mailbox ASAP! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice knives, Stuart, and a fine musical choice. I have LPs of John Prine's 1st album and "Sweet Revenge" (3rd?), and even though he was one of my favorite songwriters back then, I didn't keep up with his career. :(

Sweet Sword, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Couple of handsome knives, Paul! Satisfying spey on the Farmboy! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I admire the stitching on your sheath! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I also like whatever you've done to the handle of that Opinel. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Have you described the process somewhere?

Still looking good! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (Does Case call that a 1-blade wharncliffe mini trapper? It's almost lambsfooty. :rolleyes:) Like that RR stag canoe, too. ;)

Happy birthday to your grandfather!! :cool::thumbsup::cool: 101 is impressive, no matter what direction you read it!

My Alox knife this week is a Vic Electrician (thanks, Greg C):
View attachment 958103

My non-Alox SAK is a Recruit:
View attachment 958104

- GT
Thank you Gary, I really like the farmboy and it's spey but yet it see's minimal use compared to the clip. Your Electrician is one of my favorite SAKS:thumbsup:

Totally agree with Ratbert Ratbert on this, Ken! ;):thumbsup::cool: My Spanish-speaking daughter helped me appreciate this particular photo even more. :):cool:

Yowza, that's VERY attractive bone on your Coyote, Ratbert! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Nice knives, Stuart, and a fine musical choice. I have LPs of John Prine's 1st album and "Sweet Revenge" (3rd?), and even though he was one of my favorite songwriters back then, I didn't keep up with his career. :(

- GT

I look forward to Ken’s photos too, Gary, and enjoy trying to catch the connections.

Thanks for the kind words about the Coyote. It’s maybe my favorite “little knife”, other than a Case Stag Peanut that my Dad gave me years ago.

When I was a young man, John Prine just blew me away with his first album. He has always been one of my favorites. Even if you didn’t keep up with his career, go to YouTube and give a listen to some later offerings. Here is a bluesy one from the early 90s, Great Rain... if you have a few moments.

It's been drizzling rain for two days so these have provided me with some sunshine today! :D

Cammie #17 today

Cool Barlow !

Stuart I'm not anywhere near an expert on Russell Barlows, but I think it might just be the real deal! ;) However, if I'm wrong, you still have another beautiful and useful Barlow!!! :thumbsup: :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ron, and I truly appreciate your loyalty to that handsome pair.
Thank you, too, Steve. I like the sheep/spear/foot blade on that Camillus a lot.

My Alox knife this week is a Vic Electrician

Thanks, GT. I highly recommend picking up a few of Prine's recent ones (his 20th came out in April, the one in my pic is from 2005). And I like that 'lectrician!

Carried thissun all day, even in the office...

I like an office that allows cigar smoking!! Consensual, of course.

When I was a young man, John Prine just blew me away with his first album. He has always been one of my favorites. Even if you didn’t keep up with his career, go to YouTube and give a listen to some later offerings. Here is a bluesy one from the early 90s, Great Rain... if you have a few moments.

Ratbert, as I mentioned to GT, Prine's stuff is still strong. My first acquisition was his 1972 "Diamonds in the Rough" and I was addicted. His health hasn't been great, but he is on a world tour (in the U.K now), so maybe we'll have him a little longer. Early on, my kids turned me on to Nirvana and Green Day; I gave them Tom Paxton, John Prine, and the Georges (Jones and Strait).

I admire the stitching on your sheath! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I also like whatever you've done to the handle of that Opinel. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Have you described the process somewhere?

Well thank you! I'm critical of my own work. My mother used to teach textile work in school, so maybe interest in these things in genetic? :) Now that she's almost 90 and has the alzheimers she still knits socks to grandchildren, allthough has sometimes trouble recognizing people :(

Conserning Opinel, I just sanded warnish off, then took some wood off the sides to flatten the shape a bit, rounding the resulting edges at the sime time. Rounded the butt, I dislike the original flared shape. Then I marked the place for the easy open notch and made it, tools used so far a sheath of nr140 sandpaper and dremel sander. Time spent one hour. I took some leather oil that I just happened to have, mixed 1/3 of terpentine and a glob of beeswax, heated and stirred to make the liguid even and then let the knife soak for a couple of hours. My choise of oil might have been a bad decision but terpentine helps it to dry. I will still add some layers and buff with cloth, the wood seems to get better with every layer.

Back