What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thank you very much Gevo . 2017 was the first year in maybe 10 that we had very many Hickory Nuts . We have at least 10 trees that are old enough to produce nuts . Other people came to pick up some , we cracked a lot , we gave some away , and we probably left half of them for our squirrels too . We have ZERO good Hickory Nuts and very few Acorns this year . Nancy likes to use the nuts in cookies , cakes , and Hickory Nut pie which is just like Pecan pie only better .
Take care my friend .
Harry
Very interesting they did not produce this year. My garden was terrible this year as well. Hickory Nut pie :eek: That must be divine !!! Nancy sounds like my kinda girl :) Thanks, Harry !

Thank you very much Gevo . 2017 was the first year in maybe 10 that we had very many Hickory Nuts . We have at least 10 trees that are old enough to produce nuts . Other people came to pick up some , we cracked a lot , we gave some away , and we probably left half of them for our squirrels too . We have ZERO good Hickory Nuts and very few Acorns this year . Nancy likes to use the nuts in cookies , cakes , and Hickory Nut pie which is just like Pecan pie only better .
Take care my friend .

We lost 2 of our 6 Hickories over the past 2 years. Very sad, and the current ones aren't producing a lot of nuts. Our big White Oak is bombarding us with large to very large acorns, so not all is lost. The doe and her fawn have moved out of our far backyard, but I expect them back soon, so I've been throwing all of the acorns (4 five gallon buckets full so far) back there. The squirrels (who KNOW that I can't legally hunt them in my yard) are going nuts (pun intended).
- Stuart

We lost 2 of our 6 Hickories over the past 2 years. Very sad, and the current ones aren't producing a lot of nuts. Our big White Oak is bombarding us with large to very large acorns, so not all is lost. The doe and her fawn have moved out of our far backyard, but I expect them back soon, so I've been throwing all of the acorns (4 five gallon buckets full so far) back there. The squirrels (who KNOW that I can't legally hunt them in my yard) are going nuts (pun intended).
- Stuart
It is surprising to me that you lost 2 Hickories . We have 1 that has been hit by lightning 2 times and is hollow but still produces nuts when others do and is home to an unknown number of squirrels and raccoons . They have been some pretty hardy trees for us . We used to see some deer here and occasionally a White Deer , but none recently .
Harry

Very interesting they did not produce this year. My garden was terrible this year as well. Hickory Nut pie :eek: That must be divine !!! Nancy sounds like my kinda girl :) Thanks, Harry !
Down home in the 40's and 50's , Mom always made Pecan Pie but she never bought any Pecans . She just used Hickory Nuts and it turned out that Nancy's family did the same . Yes she is Gevo !!! We just celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary earlier this month . It has been a trip my friend .

Harry

Not bad, the strawberry is very subtle :thumbsup:

Strawberry Fields Forever, m m m m m . . . .

Case slimline trapper in black canvas laminate and another Virginia beer. I like this one. Crisp with a little hops bite.

Very nice knife and another fine Old Dominion brewery.

It is surprising to me that you lost 2 Hickories .

The result of unfortunate landscaping decisions by adjacent landowners. It is what it is. (I do have some good smokin' wood.)
- Stuart

Down home in the 40's and 50's , Mom always made Pecan Pie but she never bought any Pecans . She just used Hickory Nuts and it turned out that Nancy's family did the same . Yes she is Gevo !!! We just celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary earlier this month . It has been a trip my friend .

Harry
Wonderfully blessed my friend !! Happy belated anniversary to you both !!!! :) Wondrous to hear

Just grab something and go.

Wqt0UuU.jpg

This arrived from the Exchange this week. Form, function, simplicity&beauty! Antique Yellow 15. The Spear fills the handle very well. It is destined for use:cool:

F&F faultless, no gaps no play, no tip protruding from liners (annoying shoddy fault in many knives) Look at the pin-work, nice domed work, jigging runs into the bolster, sharp on arrival! Any issues? Well it's a general GEC thing, they would be in stellar league if they had slightly thicker scales which were more rounded and radiused. Rather like Winchester BB knives, it gives a much more pleasant feel in the hand. But, that's how GEC opts to do it-their small knives would greatly benefit from a thickening of scales, CASE manage it.

uF7VdAT.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Gary. I agree about the Walnut Rogers jig bone knives; one of Case's stellar series.

Speaking of stellar, your daily quartet are enviable (including the newest addition). :thumbsup::)
Thanks, Dean.:)

I’ve alwsys wanted the Bulldog Groundhog aka Browne and Pharr canoe.
Here’s the Bulldog Groundhog I usually see listed.
(Not my image either)
bulldog-groundhog-knife-browne-pharr-take-apart_1_565132acd023f63fd29f693a271ae273.jpg

That certainly IS a cool and appealing pattern, Ted; thanks! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thank you, GT. That lambsfoot stag has since been joined by a scout stag. I’m impressed with both!
Congrats on the stag scout, Joshua! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Maybe I'll see a pic this Saturday? ;)

5K Qs 5K Qs Some of my framing reminds me of very old photography. I'm old fashioned like that.
I like what you do with your photos, Alan, even though I know nothing about photography. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Wow Gary, now that ole ALOX is pocket worn:thumbsup: I love everything about your Canoe:cool: Thank you for the compliment on my new 14:thumbsup:
Thanks, Paul. :) The Pioneer was already worn when I got it. I agree about the canoe, although the bolsters are a bit "busy" for me. ;)

Thanks GT! and what's up with those liners???
All I can figure out with the asymmetrically "stacked" liners is that it's a way to get the blades to fit better in the single spring set-up. :confused:

...I really need to get a RR, you always post some nice lookers, so I can assume you like them!
Thanks for the liner shot, @mitch4ging. :cool::thumbsup: Yeah, I'm pleased with almost every RR knife I've got.

Awesome Alox GT but let me tell you friend those Rough Riders Rock. Your canoe collection never fails to impress. Well done professor (retired) (I am pleased to add :D).
Thanks for the positive comments, Dwight. :) I think we have a mutual admiration society regarding canoes! ;):thumbsup:

Some more pictures from my travels the past few days

The first one was taken on the same stretch of road on US-163 that Forrest Gump decided he was done running. I love that movie and HAD to take a picture :D;)

44060308_10160963439075613_7571798519875371008_n.jpg

-Caleb
Amazing pics, Caleb! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'm a big fan of Forrest Gump, so that first shot really grabbed my attention!

I finally found another Boker 494 Barlow .... I found another one on another form and bought it too it's in transit.
Congrats on the cool Böker Barlows, Randy; that tree bolster stamp is so distinctive! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

My first knife I’ve ever owned which was given to me by my father gave me was a Victorinox. I might have to add the Alox solo to my list of “to buy knives”. :) The bone on your RR canoe is gorgeous btw!
Thanks for the Alox remarks and for noticing my canoe. :) Get some Alox, Nick; you won't regret it! :thumbsup:;)

Carrying some rosewood today, and some MOP :) Lambsfoot by A.Wright, Penknife by W. Green :thumbsup:
Versatile and handsome pair, Jack. :)

That's a dynamite dark duo, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1004887 Some old ebony on the big one for Woodensday.
Couple of dependable tools, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I like the pen blade on that bone jack. :thumbsup::cool:

A glowing example of a great knife.
:D:D

Marvelous Kissing Crane, Gev!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That's a capable-looking little knife, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool: And that's a first-rate slide rule (I was always a Pickett, rather than Post, user)! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for all the kind words, GT. The Opinel was another victim of the torch.:D
Are these knives your steady companions? If so, I can understand why.
44461204435_05e97819c8_h.jpg
Stellar Forum stag, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the Opinel info. Yes, that quartet is my true EDC.

Payin’ bills today, don’t want nothin’ too big in case I get depressed and decide to collect on the insurance. ;)
:D:D

Eisenhower pen for me today.
Stunning stag on your Ike, Nick! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gary, it is always nice to see your old rugged cross. Is your striped bolster Canoe a new acquisition? I like the bone on that one, too.
Dean, I ordered that canoe almost a year ago. Thanks for your kind remarks. :)

The weather has reached that temperature where I am wearing denim. To commemorate that and Wooden Wednesday, I'm carrying my ebony Presidential.

I'm always pleased to see that premium Presidential, Dean :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:, but am not thrilled about the weather changes it signals. :(

My totin' choice for this Wooden Wednesday was prompted by a beautiful post yesterday by Gevonovich Gevonovich . His Colonial coke bottle folding hunter inspired me to go to the coke bottle pile, where i picked out a similar Continental Cutlery Co. folder.
But I try not to carry identical (or almost identical) knives as my fellow Porch mates, so I switched to a New York Knife Co. Hammer Brand version to tote today, instead. I did steal his idea of a comfortable carry option with an available Case sheath. Thanks, Gev.
- Stuart
They say I have Coke bottle glasses, and now I think I should look for some matching knives! ;) Couple of captivating Coke bottles, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Woodnesday.
Enthralling ebony quartet, Ken! And one is a Churchill, who once said, "We can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities."

Thanks GT, your stable of stable knives is impressive :)

I have these two with me today.

Thanks for noticing my stable quartet, Tom. :) As always, you have a desirable pair! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT! This being my first fall in Minnesota, I have no idea if it’s too early or not. I’ve decided just to roll with the weather as it comes. :D

That’s some good looking bone on that canoe!
Today I’m totin’ a knife that I never expected to have in my pocket: a 2012 PPP TC Barlow in Ebony! :eek: :cool: :D
rQKTAdH.jpg

Thanks again, Duncan (@Campbellclanman)! :thumbsup:
Good climate change plan, Barrett. :thumbsup:;) Thanks for commenting on my canoe. :) Congrats on the stunning TC Barlow!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

...Many years ago we cracked the nuts with hammers or rocks . Now I use a vise .

Harry
That is one heavy-duty nutcracker, Harry! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

- GT

This arrived from the Exchange this week. Form, function, simplicity&beauty! Antique Yellow 15. The Spear fills the handle very well. It is destined for use:cool:

F&F faultless, no gaps no play, no tip protruding from liners (annoying shoddy fault in many knives) Look at the pin-work, nice domed work, jigging runs into the bolster, sharp on arrival! Any issues? Well it's a general GEC thing, they would be in stellar league if they had slightly thicker scales which were more rounded and radiused. Rather like Winchester BB knives, it gives a much more pleasant feel in the hand. But, that's how GEC opts to do it-their small knives would greatly benefit from a thickening of scales, CASE manage it.

uF7VdAT.jpg
I'm a big fan of practical, nicely made single blade knives. This one nails it.

Take care my friend .
Harry
2017 was a remarkable year for the hickory nuts, indeed. I still have bags full down in the pantry. And the red oak acorn crop was really heavy. This year, only some hickories have dropped nuts, but the white oaks seem to have more acorns than last year.
And I’m pleased to say that my collection, planting, and scattering has resulted in scores of young hickories and oaks. I only wish I’d started earlier. I have dozens of black walnuts I grew from seed that are now 10” and quite tall. In another 120 years or so I’m going to have some valuable wood! :D

This year was a good one for the little pumpkins I grow for fun...View attachment 1005359
A Tidiute Oregon Trapper and Camillus whittler.

Back