What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I didn't notice the squared point, I'll bet that one will bore nicely.

You are correct. The tool is known as a birdcage awl, originally used not for scribing but to drill small holes for the making of wooden birdcages. The manufacturer, Czeck Edge, makes models in both A2 steel and in tungsten carbide (which eliminates the need for periodic sharpening).

Had these fellows out to Christmas dinner at a friends' last night.

2018-12-26-18.24.35.jpg

Mid folding hunter even got dinner table use when I forgot to get a steak knife for the venison backstrap that was part of dinner.

Didn't do Anything today, but if I had it'd have probably been the same ones.

Congratulations on the find! :cool::thumbsup:
Thank you Rachel! It’s my first MOP knife and the F/F is perfect. Half stops on both blades that are tight with snappy walk n talk and shaving sharp to boot. Flushed joints at closed, open and half stop positions. Blades seem full or barely used to me and the blade etching still looks crisp. I think you can tell I’m stoked on it! It’ll be in my pocket tomorrow and I’ll post more pics then. It was hard to capture a good shot of the MOP like how I’ve read numerous times before on here how MOP is difficult to photograph and now I totally understand.

JohnDF JohnDF that's what I thought but we are both incorrect. @Old Engineer I figured you might guess. Belongs to my 90 year old father-in-law who described watching his uncle use it to set the RPM of a thresher. The point is triangular, press it into the center of the crankshaft or other 1:1 pulley. Zero it before starting and one minute later it shows the RPM mechanically. Still works, can feel the precision despite it's age.

starrett-2.jpg

Fascinating piece John :thumbsup:

Wandered around downtown Los Angeles today with my wife and scored this pre 1940’s MOP EC Simmons Keen Kutter. Never thought I’d find a vintage knife in pretty much mint condition, in DTLA of all places. It was from a cutlery store that sold mainly modern tactical knives, scissors, shavers and kitchen cutlery etc. with a very small selection of traditionals and an even smaller selection of vintage knives. Snapped a pic real quick of this classy little pen knife in a not so classy setting.

Congratulations, nice find :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is in fine form after the holidays :) Not sure what I'm up to today, but I'm carrying these two, my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot, and my Abbeydale Jack :) Have a great day folks :thumbsup:

7UvfRm9.jpg

0QWTkjT.jpg

My two favorite Christmas gifts...
The Case is amazing... the backspring is flush at closed, at half stop, and at open (all 3 positions).
Plus, the back of the blade and the spring line up perfectly when the blade is open, making one smooth line :cool:
Congrats on the Case swayback, John; that's a classic! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (What's the ship? I'm ashamed to admit I have no clue, even after doing some superficial research into Romulan, Klingon, and Cardassian military craft. :()

Merry Christmas, y’all!
The other items in that photo are the contents of a gift package that Jack Black Jack Black put together for my daughter, Eleanor. ...

I already shared this photo with Jack, but Ellie has also commandeered this hat that Jack gave me. ..
Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Great Christmas post, Barrett, and some fantastic swag Jack put together for your daughter (who looks to me like she could be a challenge if she puts her mind to it :D:cool:)!

Leather, stag, and steel. Leather to carry, the stag was a special present to myself, and the Buck in case someone deserves a surprise present.View attachment 1043168 View attachment 1043169 View attachment 1043170
@Duckdog Stuart, if stainless is painless, what does that make carbon? Not enough stainless in the collection.
Quality quartet of knives for Christmas, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs Thanks GT for your wonderful quotes/comments.
You're welcome, @Aryan29. :)

If you say so, Gary. Can't recall the shape. Isn't it cut in half by one of them big lakes? ;)
Anyway, betcha no one but Michiganders would recognize Michigan, but the whole world knows Texas. Not that I'm bragging. :)
Merry Christmas, Pardner!
Same to you, Vince! :) If you didn't have 70˚ Christmas weather, you might actually recognize the shape of a Michigan mitten! :eek::rolleyes:

View attachment 1043176 View attachment 1043177

Nice Christmas story here. My Brother in Law was given this Colonial Ranger Stockman in 1976 by his Grandfather. He remembers that they bought the knife at the Circle J Cafe in Talihina, Oklahoma. He knows I collect knives, so he cleaned it up and replaced the plastic scales with Tiger Wood and gave it to me as a present. I sharpened it, oiled it, and put it in my pocket. A very interesting and well built knife ready for another few decades!

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope 2019 brings us all lots of nice knives! (Who am I kidding, of course it will. As long as our bank accounts hold out!)
Congrats on the Christmas knife, Leslie; great story indeed! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

The word order's probably wrong
No, wait, I did that on purpose.
After you mentioned word order, I did some experimenting with an online translator, and what you posted seem perfectly acceptable to that "authority". ;):thumbsup:

Congrats on an awesome knife from the girls! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Merry Christmas to all.
Cool tie! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Christmas gift, or did you make that "slider" for the tie?

Great pic, Ken! :thumbsup::cool::cool: When I was a kid we had several "pop-up" or "fold-out" books that only came out with the Christmas decorations each year!

Carried my Christmas present from the boys today - Victorinox Rambler with Flying Tigers scales.View attachment 1043354
Those Vics are very cool, congrats! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (Making their way towards the top of my "wish list". :))

Thanks pal, nice threesome there :) :thumbsup:
I was hard at it, cooking and serving drinks yesterday, so I'm hoping to have a more relaxing day today ;) Hope everyone had a great Christmas :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :) I hope you and your ebony lambsfoot and acrylic 85 were able to relax yesterday. :thumbsup:;)

It is past my time... we were making rather merry.View attachment 1043458The best gifts aren’t things...
During a video chat yesterday, my son asked his two year old boy if there was something he wanted to show Papa and GeeGee. So the fine, handsome young lad turned to show us his tee shirt that said:
I
Am
THE
BIG
BROTHER

Woo hoo!;)
Congrats on your growing accumulation of grandkids, Jeff!!! :):thumbsup::cool:
Nice handle shape and finish on that Opinel on your guitar calendar. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Cycling through some peachseed today :)

9005498167_af60484232_b.jpg

Longing is like the Seed
What a sensational pen knife, Gev; it certainly triggers the "longing" reflex!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary; and, yes - its new. :)
Thanks, and congratulations, Dean! :):thumbsup:

Buck309+Laguiole, Wooden Theme...
View attachment 1043524
Prestigious pair for Wooden Wednesday! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

These two for me today! :)

43687280532_2aa0db8a01_b_d.jpg
Dynamic duo, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Walnut Sword brand
ugBPHL2.jpg
Superb equal-end Sword Brand, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

After the Christmas holidays, today with two beautiful English knives...
2vnncj9.jpg
Phenomenal pair, @Pt-Luso; I always enjoy seeing your jigged bone lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A little late lunch.

kITFxXT.jpg
You and your Plow must be getting serious, Tom; the two of you seem to dine together frequently!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rough Rider Zombie Nick canoe is my Plain Canoe this week:
canoe.zombie.mark.secopen.jpg
Marbles Ram's Horn canoe is my Fancy Canoe for the week:
UlICCIV.jpg

RR lockback dogleg mini canoe is my Watch Pocket knife this week:
dogleg.minicanoe.mark.2open.jpg

A RR carbon steel canoe with yellow synthetic covers is one of my free choice knives this week:
canoe.mark.closed.HOcurve.jpg (I like canoes. :rolleyes:)

- GT

Back