What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Mostly sunny -2 :eek: That delicious stag will keep you warm !!
I agree Gev, the Stag warms my heart:thumbsup: -2 is the high for tomorrow, the temp for today (upper left of pic) is a balmy -8:eek::D

45334824062_99a43b4a9b_b.jpg

30437823337_b1a7b7835e_b.jpg

45389198911_52e8ce8958_b.jpg

from the Clanman (Duncan's GAW ) just a gem of a guy...I mean knife :D
The Congress and Man you mention are both gems;) just don't tell Duncan, his head is already to big:p

Been carrying this all day:
31916137647_5db87defcd_h.jpg

32982100188_8fd62afa53_h.jpg

46813739552_2f41717267_h.jpg

46813739572_58c3ab2b28_h.jpg

46813739382_c16123a6c9_h.jpg

Got this from an artisan from Spain, @ArtesaniaHerreros. His name is José Antonio Herreros Gomez. You can see his initials "JHG" on the palanquilla in one of the close-ups. This is a traditional folding knife, or "navaja", from Albacete. Or a smaller pocket-sized version. The blade locks open, and to close the palanquilla must be lifted about 90 degrees. Very nice design, and an old design, I think. The steel is 440C stainless, and the handle is a polished deer stag antler point. The bolster on this one is brass. It looks like brass and nickel silver inlays. There is very nice engraving on the ricasso and the spine of the blade. There are no liners, and the knife is very light and easy to carry in a pocket.

I will be getting more knives from Señor Herreros!

Got this from an artisan from Spain, @ArtesaniaHerreros. His name is José Antonio Herreros Gomez. You can see his initials "JHG" on the palanquilla in one of the close-ups. This is a traditional folding knife, or "navaja", from Albacete. Or a smaller pocket-sized version. The blade locks open, and to close the palanquilla must be lifted about 90 degrees. Very nice design, and an old design, I think. The steel is 440C stainless, and the handle is a polished deer stag antler point. The bolster on this one is brass. It looks like brass and nickel silver inlays. There is very nice engraving on the ricasso and the spine of the blade. There are no liners, and the knife is very light and easy to carry in a pocket.

Very cool Vince :cool::thumbsup: this could lead to many many more! :D

Nice score. Replied to the other post already, but wanted to ask you, is this the most unique knife you own or what?
I know my navaja from Senor Herreros is!
Again, I love the sweep on that clip-point blade.

Big on Style:cool:

I need to look into one of those;)
Thanks, Will. :cool:

I like the color of that Micarta.
GEC, use that more often, please.
Yes John, it's a bit different being Natural linen. I'd like to see more too, thanks!:thumbsup:

Wow, Vince, that's a beauty! Looks like a lot of well done work in that one.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
On Flickr? I'm thinking about it !!
Yep Flickr! I had over 1400 photos so I was going to have to move or lose. I weighed the options and decided the cost was well worth the convenience. I took advantage of a discount that was offered which made my first year less that a Big Mac a month. I think it is inevitable that all of these type services will eventually have to charge.

That just may be the nicest looking PRIMBLE that I have seen yet Ron . It is always a pleasure to see your Old Humphreys Radiant . I do not understand why you don't carry that old thing more often .

Harry
Thanks Harry! :) The Primble is almost mint in my eyes! The only reason and it may not be a good one, that I don’t carry the Humphreys more often is the fact that it’s probably irreplaceable. I have never saw another one anywhere. It’s without a doubt the best $20 I ever spent on the big auction site! :D

Yep Flickr! I had over 1400 photos so I was going to have to move or lose. I weighed the options and decided the cost was well worth the convenience. I took advantage of a discount that was offered which made my first year less that a Big Mac a month. I think it is inevitable that all of these type services will eventually have to charge.
I think your right !

Hey Harry, I hope all is well! I just meant that most of the pictures I take of the knife, I can easily angle it slightly and the glare on the metal hides the greying patina and the millions of swirls and scratches on the bolster. Basically it looks like I don’t carry it lol. I just figured I needed to show some pics displaying the character that it’s earned, especially those dings in the walnut when I dropped it on the basement floor :eek:. Its 4” closed with a 3” blade.
That is a great size for a knife like that . I never noticed any of the negatives that you just mentioned .Thank you for asking Jake , all is well in our lives my friend .
Take care and be well young man .

Harry

Beautiful knife and photo, but where’s your fly rod?

Thank you, Jeff. A valid question... I have great aspirations of catching dinner from my backyard one of these days, I just need to stop procrastinating and get after it :oops:.

Stunning Dylan :thumbsup:

A beautiful photo and very nice Horn! :)

Thank you, fellas, for the kind compliments.

These on this snowy day :

Not everybody or everything has a problem with the snow .

Harry

A fine Henkels, Harry. My biological dad has a 3-blade Barlow in Stag made by Henkels (or at least has their markings), I play with it every time I make it over for a visit.

I am not a Northwoods guy but that is a knife I might have braved the frenzy for. That Cocobolo is gorgeous!

Good Morning! #78 ebony today. :)
View attachment 1060017

I am very fond of my 78s but they are all from the recent run, I would love to find one with a clip blade. That is a terrific looking knife.

Hope y’all have a great day! I’m carrying these two today! :)

35858019270_36a451b695_b_d.jpg

42138055275_1ffab8395b_b_d.jpg

What a terrific pairing, Ron! Beautiful knives, both of them.

That Ancient is a stunner!

Thanks GT! Yellas along for the ride today
xuWazSZ.jpg

Yellow is certainly not my color but that is some fantastic looking bone on that TC. That paired with the patina make for a handsome blade.

A darned good question, my friend. I would love to see another run of these. You certainly have a terrific example though!

Nice score. Replied to the other post already, but wanted to ask you, is this the most unique knife you own or what?
I know my navaja from Senor Herreros is!
Again, I love the sweep on that clip-point blade.
I guess I could say it's the most different from my other knives. I only have about 25 or so. Most of my other knives are slipjoints, and I have a few lockbacks and a fixed blade. This one has a different locking mechanism than other knives, but I think it's an old design.
When I saw the knives in José's post in October, I think my jaw dropped. He has so many beautiful creations. (Maybe it's my Spanish blood!). I have to get more.

A 2014 #66 in Stag covers, the Stag may not light up one's world but it's great in hand and I honestly like it, kinda creamy like:cool: bought from a forum member here on the porch...Thanks Mario:thumbsup:
Nydpe1.jpg

gUSXpo.jpg

Also bracing for the upcoming (even colder) snap coming next week:eek:
Brn55g.png
I personally like polished white stag as it rounds into the bolsters:thumbsup:

Must be some hardy folk up there in the Dakotas!

Thank you Jack!

Toting this big ‘un today.
I'd love to see pics of it open... who made it?

Know what you mean . When I was 21 , I had to pump gas at a filling station through the winter until other opportunities opened up , and I never wore gloves all winter . Now I have $ 150 gloves and have Hot Hands inside the gloves and my hands still get frozen when I have to go out to temporarily shift the snow to other places .
Be careful up there my friend .

Harry
"temporarily shift the snow to other places" ~ aint it the truth.

Regarding your YMCA companions - Red Bone is Good Bone.

Muy guapo! Me gusto.:thumbsup:

Wow, John, that's a beauty! Looks like a lot of well done work in that one.:thumbsup:
Thanks, Mark. José is an artisan that has been making knives over 40 years, I think. He has won a lot of knife-making awards, and is obviously very skilled. Some of his knives are in museums.

Last edited:
Back