What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I try to catch up on this thread, then take a day off for a wet, slippery, but successful rabbit hunt (16 beagles and almost as many friends in the hunt), and behinder I get. Today's totes: a KeenKutter (top) and a Utica.

wu2KCjD.jpg

7NQR2wN.jpg

soBcK95.jpg

- Stuart
Way waaayyy cool Stuart! I was patiently waiting for your Sunday pearl post. Gorgeous knives!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats on your successful rabbit hunt.

I try to catch up on this thread, then take a day off for a wet, slippery, but successful rabbit hunt (16 beagles and almost as many friends in the hunt), and behinder I get. Today's totes: a KeenKutter (top) and a Utica.

wu2KCjD.jpg

7NQR2wN.jpg

soBcK95.jpg

- Stuart

Way waaayyy cool Stuart! I was patiently waiting for your Sunday pearl post. Gorgeous knives!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats on your successful rabbit hunt.

Those are some keen cutters! :D:thumbsup:

Your kind words (and prayers) are much appreciated, Dwight! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sounds like you and your wife had a great time at the knife show Saturday! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Kevin, did you happen to spend any time in Kalamazoo for the curling this past week? ;)

Thanks, Vince. :) It still looks pretty good (especially compared to me, and I'm only about 9 years older :rolleyes:), and it's fully functional, but it does have some blade play due to a bent backspring that's probably the result of some youthful indiscretion! :(

That shadow stag sodbuster-style knife is splendid! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :)
I always enjoy seeing that striped pen. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: And that shot of your "peaches and cream" lambsfoot must be the inspiration for Vince's imitation in the new GAW thread! :thumbsup::D:cool:

Sweet knife, Dave, and an attractive photo :cool::cool::thumbsup:, even though I've had my fill of snow already. :(

Are you a golfer, Joshua? You could play a round with those 3 woods in your bag (say, a 1, 3, and 5 wood)! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mer always sees the silver lining in each cloud! :p:thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Dean. :) That post usually comes on Monday or Tuesday, instead of Thursday, as happened this week. :confused: I still have a lot of knives to "reveal" for this week (plain and fancy canoes, international, watch pocket, big, miscellaneous, stag/horn, lambsfoot, peanut-ish) and it's already late Sunday afternoon! :eek:

Dean, that's such a superb stockman! Thanks for introducing me to its charms! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the fine White Owl, Joshua! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: 3 cheers to @traumkommode for his generosity! :):cool::thumbsup:

+ 5K :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Very classy pair of work knives, Ron; you're a good nephew! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::)

Worth a try, Dean! I hope it works. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

That IS a mighty versatile pair, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Kevin, that chili looks hearty and delicious to me! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Vince, I thought the phrase "chili con carne" came from Texas, but I must be wrong, because it would be a repetitive phrase there, right? ;)

That cotton sampler looks like something I'm going to have to get! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

My plain canoe this week is an Armor Hide Rough Rider:
uzqO6Mf.jpg

My fancy canoe this week is a Fight'n Rooster 4-blade:
View attachment 1075451

International knife this week is a John Watts ring opener (thanks, Jack):
gsljYEm.jpg

Watch pocket knife is a Case mini copperhead in navy blue bone:
dPFMInU.jpg

Big knife this week is a Rough Rider 1-arm trapper:
6WnB0Yt.jpg

- GT

I used to play golf, but with those woods I’d be assured of having a wicked slice.

Kevin, did you happen to spend any time in Kalamazoo for the curling this past week?
No GT but I have played against some of those elite curlers... some with good results but mostly with poor results LoL ;) My teams biggest claim to fame was on a late Friday night in 2011 in a bonspiel in Appleton we actually beat a team that took 3rd in the world in 2007. We did everything right in that game and they did many things wrong LoL. :D

I'll finish posting the knives I've carried all week.
Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is an S&M #99 (thanks, @mrknife):
299wKN1.jpg

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is a Case chestnut jigged bone CV Swayback Jack (thanks, Paul):
yPYaOM8.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Marbles Ram's Horn sowbelly stockman:
fxJqT0t.jpg

Lambsfoot this week is an Ashley's Choice stag model I've named Cracker Jack:
CJ.pile.sunset.jpg

- GT

299wKN1.jpg

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is a Case chestnut jigged bone CV Swayback Jack (thanks, Paul):
yPYaOM8.jpg

fxJqT0t.jpg

View attachment 1075564

- GT
A fantastic foursome, Gary.

299wKN1.jpg

yPYaOM8.jpg

fxJqT0t.jpg

View attachment 1075564

- GT
Your rotation treated you well this week, that is a very fine group of knives.

Onions and peppers count as veggies, right?

I put thin sliced celery and mushrooms in my chili. Plus dark kidney beans, light kidney beans and black beans. My relatives from Texas like it anyway:D
Onions and peppers is good. I like celery, but never seen it in chili. No beans, of course. But it is a MORTAL SIN to put fungus in the chili! (Alright, I despise mushrooms in anything, but I've never heard of anyone putting them in chili.)
Hey, to each his own! :)
To me, chili is a very simple dish, not something you'd find in Julia Child's cookbook. I love Julia Child, but her recipes are complicated! And way too many mushrooms! ;)

First let me state that I am truely in awe of the collections that you all have accumulated... Over the past 6 months I have been quietly lurking and appreciateing the almost limitless number of well loved, studied and appreciated "tools" ( if I can really bring myself to stretch the word "tool" far enough to describe these working pieces of art) but in all of this gawking, a few question have arisen: First being are there any books currently in print that you guys would recommend that would allow me to learn more about tradition folders (without constantly having to ask an endless amount of questions) and further my knowledge? And 2: I come from a firearm background, and I have collected, sold, refinished and built a fairly substancial number of them, in so I have established what some would call a strange feeling about collectables. The biggest of which being that I feel when you look at a fine rifle or over-under shotgun, you are really only getting a small portion of the whole picture. The use of a fine tool is where its value truly lies. So my question is, do collectors have multiple collections? Do you have one drawer of "users" and a climate controlled, sanitary room used only to house special knives that you only touch with white silk gloves? Or is part of the beauty of each knife its function? Sorry for the long post, I'm finding my way to sanity , and developing an appreciation for art all in one swoop here. Thanks for letting me lurk ladies and gents.

Welcome to the Porch. Here is a link to a google search just for Bladeforums. It works a lot better than the search on the forum.
http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=012217165931761871935:iqyc7cbzhci
I know it helped me, I hope it helps you find the info you are looking for.

Awesome oxhorn, FBC!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Gary. Wright did a bang up job on that one.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :) I'm carrying these two today :) :thumbsup:

xGgxVEt.jpg

1Lo64kS.jpg
Woah! I don't think I ever saw that sleeveboard whittler ( it is a whittler, right? ) before, what a beauty!

Great pic Will. I believe you captured it. Love those scales.

View attachment 1074962
What a cool knife! That punch is the perfect addition to the tl-29.

Personally, I carry them all. The ones like below, the more expensive customs, might get carried less often but half of the pleasure of owning a vast array of knives is being able to use them. I use my stuff. I drive my hot rods, I use my knives, I wear my watches. I do, however, understand those who have them just to keep and admire.

This one today.
jWfRnbR.jpg
giphy.gif

wu2KCjD.jpg

7NQR2wN.jpg

soBcK95.jpg

- Stuart
Two really great knives and you captured the MOP wonderfully. :thumbsup:

299wKN1.jpg

yPYaOM8.jpg

fxJqT0t.jpg

View attachment 1075564

- GT
The fab' four!

I was totin' the Churchill today.
47076500502_d83e5f95bf_h.jpg

Back