What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

KwG4iSc.jpg

Thanks Ray,
Do you have any Arno Bernard's? They're nice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

No I do not. That one looks like a good one. One of my very favorite fixed blade makers on BF is John of Redmeadow Knives. Check out the link in my sig line. His stacked leather knives are outstanding and his most recent completed work is a stunner.

Ray

Great pic Will. I believe you captured it. Love those scales.

Another very nice photo Dave.

View attachment 1074962
Love that knife Dwight:cool::cool::cool: I have been after that one for awhile. I love old advertising knives as well a purpose built knife e.g. TL-29 and Scout knives.I have a couple of vijtage three blade utility based knives, a CASE and a NYKC (gifted from Primble) that is very similar to your MOORE OIL :thumbsup:

Love that knife Dwight:cool::cool::cool: I have been after that one for awhile. I love old advertising knives as well a purpose built knife e.g. TL-29 and Scout knives.I have a couple of vijtage three blade utility based knives, a CASE and a NYKC (gifted from Primble) that is very similar to your MOORE OIL
Thanks Paul. I appreciate it! Bought this one off of S Pfeiffer. You should post that Case & NYKC sometime. :rolleyes:

What a fine S&M.

No I do not. That one looks like a good one. One of my very favorite fixed blade makers on BF is John of Redmeadow Knives. Check out the link in my sig line. His stacked leather knives are outstanding and his most recent completed work is a stunner.

Ray
Well, check out Arno Bernard sometime. CK sells them, as do many other dealers.
Thanks for the lead on Redmeadow. You've got great taste in knives and I'm grateful you turned me onto the navaja world :cool:
That said, I couldn't find a link or info on your signature or profile page. After searching a few rabbit holes l came across the Redmeadow section here, but that is a whole forest of rabbit holes, lol! :eek:
https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/redmeadow-knives-t-knotts-knives.930/

Can you post a pic or send a link to his latest piece? I'd love to see it. Thanks :)

First let me state that I am truely in awe of the collections that you all have accumulated... Over the past 6 months I have been quietly lurking and appreciateing the almost limitless number of well loved, studied and appreciated "tools" ( if I can really bring myself to stretch the word "tool" far enough to describe these working pieces of art) but in all of this gawking, a few question have arisen: First being are there any books currently in print that you guys would recommend that would allow me to learn more about tradition folders (without constantly having to ask an endless amount of questions) and further my knowledge? And 2: I come from a firearm background, and I have collected, sold, refinished and built a fairly substancial number of them, in so I have established what some would call a strange feeling about collectables. The biggest of which being that I feel when you look at a fine rifle or over-under shotgun, you are really only getting a small portion of the whole picture. The use of a fine tool is where its value truly lies. So my question is, do collectors have multiple collections? Do you have one drawer of "users" and a climate controlled, sanitary room used only to house special knives that you only touch with white silk gloves? Or is part of the beauty of each knife its function? Sorry for the long post, I'm finding my way to sanity , and developing an appreciation for art all in one swoop here. Thanks for letting me lurk ladies and gents.

Personally, I carry them all. The ones like below, the more expensive customs, might get carried less often but half of the pleasure of owning a vast array of knives is being able to use them. I use my stuff. I drive my hot rods, I use my knives, I wear my watches. I do, however, understand those who have them just to keep and admire.

This one today.
jWfRnbR.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, it still amazes me at the artistry that some makers bestow into the blades they create, but in my heart of hearts I am still very traditionally minded, seeing function before most else (although after seeing your collections, I may have to find it in my heart to have a wall hanger or two) the only somewhat old knives that I have in my collection are a buck 112 that I was gifted by my father (who was an auto body man by trade so he developed a horrible habit of using an airgrinder as a sharpening stone :eek:) that if his memory serves he correctly he purchased in 77 or 78, and an old timer medium stockman given to me by a friend after a funeral that looks to be from the late 60's or early 70's. The problem is now I have 2 boys of my own and I want to pass that kind of tradition down to them, so now my search will start.... Thank you all for the motivation, and for letting me know its alright to get a little blood and grit under the liners every once in a while. Cheers!

Back