What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

5K Qs 5K Qs
Bunk71v.jpg
CZaupyC.jpg

It's a picture of a hat and hunting vest and coat with 3 Lab puppies in the pockets hanging on a wall. Part of a "Nostalgic Art" series. Theres one Called "Ten point buck" that I'd like to find on the same knife as this. Of course it's a pic of a whitetail buck.

Good timing today, 8ot on the way. How is schrades stainless? Similar to GEC or case? Nothing to write home about?

It is totally servicable, not TOO soft, but it doesn’t hold a candle to their carbon steel. If you can sharpen then don’t hesitate to pick it up.

That is a picture of a much better man than I, my friend.
My son, who we lost July 25,2017 to injuries received in combat in Afghanistan. He enlisted in the Illinois Army National Guard knowing he was 100% guaranteed deployment to the war.
He was our oldest of three, and left us many good memories, much to be proud of, and two wonderful granddaughters. And Manny, my dog!
Please accept my condolences to you and yours for the loss of your Son. Your Son’s sacrifice is a debt that society can never fully repay. All we can do is be humbled, remember, and appreciate in full measure, what your Son and others like him have done for us.

It is totally servicable, not TOO soft, but it doesn’t hold a candle to their carbon steel. If you can sharpen then don’t hesitate to pick it up.

I disagree. Schrade+ stainless is just as good as their carbon. I have used both extensively and there's no discernible difference between the two in edge retention. Sharpening is equally easy for both.

In typical American fashion, we have turned Memorial Day into a three day holiday weekend. This week on the radio, I heard it called “the unofficial start of summer” repeatedly. It is time to load up on all of your lawn and garden needs, and be sure to stop by the grill department for some great bbq demonstrations. And don’t forget the Memorial Day Sale at Guitar Center!

On the other hand, in small town USA, you can still attend a solemn prayer service and ceremony at the cemetery, watch the Boy Scouts perform color guard duties, and when the old boys from the Legion fire their ‘03 Springfields in the salute, the little boys still scramble for the hot brass.

View attachment 1134891 View attachment 1134892 View attachment 1134893
It is quite a shame what Memorial day has become, no words have I that can adequately do honor to those of our armed forces that paid the greatest cost. While never serving myself I have friends and family who have. When I was in the scouts our Scout Leader and Assistant Leader were both WW2 vets. Early on Memorial day our troop would gather at a large (30 acre) cemetery, we each would take a bundle of small U.S. flags, and row by row look for each veterans marker. On each we planted a flag,gave a scout's salute and proceeded on. I put a flag on my grandfather's grave. A Korean war and Vietnam war vet that I never knew. He committed suicide before I was born. Unfortunately not all combat casualties happen in combat. So to all veterans here, no matter where you served,or what country you served for i thank you for your service. To those whose lost family, my most heartfelt condolences.

Work in progress, I added a aluminium back spacer to this Peasant mini. Needs sandpaper. Anyway this is a cheap user so it does not have to be fancy. The spacer is pinned (pin ends peened) and the back screw goes through the spacer, no glue because glue does not stick to this plastic. I might add another pin and remove the corby screw to get a lanyard hole?

4XnSUXC.jpg
4LO0G0r.jpg

As on most Sundays:
oGW9EKq.jpg

Handmade polished stag Spanish navaja from @ArtesaniaHerreros; and:
C6LGnuW.jpg

Sambar stag lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield.
(Can't take either one to the ballgame tonight. :( )

A shame about the ballgame Vince, but that's a great combination :) Classy slip for your Navaja :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

I probably have one or two Vince :thumbsup:

That is a picture of a much better man than I, my friend.
My son, who we lost July 25,2017 to injuries received in combat in Afghanistan. He enlisted in the Illinois Army National Guard knowing he was 100% guaranteed deployment to the war.
He was our oldest of three, and left us many good memories, much to be proud of, and two wonderful granddaughters. And Manny, my dog!

Very sorry for your loss Jeff :( :thumbsup:

A little 3"closed serpentine Schrade Walden Jack, solid with no play whatsoever and scary sharp carbon blade:thumbsup:

And to my left while picture taking there was harmony (somewhat) between House finches and Gold finches:confused:
dODk7J.jpg

RBOe1w.jpg

frH3tS.jpg

Beautiful knife, and great pics Paul :thumbsup:

Morning folks :) Another wet Bank Holiday Monday here :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

jQr2BPv.jpg

Good Morning All. Happy Friday!!!
Your EO sheepsfoot scout is admirable, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Today I’m totin my Ebony #73 solo! :) I hit it a lick or three on my Sharp Maker to touch it up before I left for this trip. It gets scary sharp. :D

47923949842_139fe43749_b_d.jpg

I'm glad you had such an enjoyable family vacation, Ron. :thumbsup::) That 73 is a black beauty! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

One hand behind our back, and a bandana clenched in our teeth. First one to let go loses. ;)
:D:D Your classic navaja has made you quite a swashbuckler, Vince!

Dazzling photo of your stag lambsfoot, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Your pics remind me of how many details my defective old eyes miss! :eek:

A little over a year ago I made the mistake of trading in my 50th anniversary Mustang. Well, I found one, 400 miles on it, sitting on a showroom floor up in Dallas. So me and the wife are going right the wrong. Trading in my truck to set the universe right again. Even though this knife is my wedding knife, and this trip will be good time for her and I alone, it kinda sorta matches the ivory color of the car. So it's coming along for two reasons! 1042 miles in 2 days, here we come!
View attachment 1133935 View attachment 1133936
Congrats on the new ride; excellent knife choice for the maiden voyage! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I’m carrying my red Jigged bone 85 this afternoon. I found this little one-legged baby in the driveway. I’m not really sure how we got there, but I didn’t want to lose any more body parts so he’s safe in my pocket for now.
omtLb1j.jpg
Flawless 85, @Travman :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but that doll is creepy! :eek:

Today with two Lambsfoot, one for the right hand and one for the left hand.:cool::thumbsup:

2qc3r7m.jpg
What a grand pair of lambsfoot knives, Senhor Pinto!! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Are you left-handed?

Handsome handle and patina on your Opinel, Dany! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Immaculate pair of lambsfoots, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool: They must make you feel like a proud papa. ;):thumbsup:

Got my clamshell teardrop today.View attachment 1134289
That one must give you a lot of joy, Alan; what a jewel! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Have a great weekend everyone!
Cramer LCJ today.
1cZH7Zg.jpg
That Cramer is en fuego, Gary! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice ‘Stang! Don’t forget to have them put a trailer hitch on it if you’re getting rid of your truck.:D
I admire your practicality, Jeff! :D:thumbsup::D

Camillus US. Air Corp

2Nj20vDh.jpg
Total knockout, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'm carrying my new Case Ebony stockman today.

Lovely example, Dean; congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Nothing too exciting for me lately; I’ve been carrying this one for the last week or so.

QtxoGnY.jpg
If you want to cut stuff, that one's majestically exciting, Barrett! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today again with A.Wright & Son stag Lambsfoot and GEC # 25 also in stag.:):thumbsup:

33ua5v8.jpg
5ob691.jpg
Today with two beautiful stag and stainless steel knives!;):thumbsup:

2u6lp8h.jpg
fdcydy.jpg
Noteworthy stag pair X 2, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

And "Destroy Argos!" Speaking of krakens.
aQ7N0zo.jpg

This was yesterday.
Opulent Opinel and exemplary Explorer, Jer! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

In typical American fashion, we have turned Memorial Day into a three day holiday weekend. This week on the radio, I heard it called “the unofficial start of summer” repeatedly. It is time to load up on all of your lawn and garden needs, and be sure to stop by the grill department for some great bbq demonstrations. And don’t forget the Memorial Day Sale at Guitar Center!

On the other hand, in small town USA, you can still attend a solemn prayer service and ceremony at the cemetery, watch the Boy Scouts perform color guard duties, and when the old boys from the Legion fire their ‘03 Springfields in the salute, the little boys still scramble for the hot brass.

View attachment 1134891 View attachment 1134892 View attachment 1134893
Thanks for the reminder of proper priorities, Jeff, from someone who knows the cost.

Smooth chestnut bone Case mini trapper, bought yesterday at my local Sportsman's store.
Paradigmatic mini trapper, John; congrats! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Absolutely!
:D:thumbsup:

Thanks for the explanation. No wonder you wanted to replace the clip rather than the spey blade on a mini trapper with a lambsfoot blade! I am a BIG fan of clip blades, and LOVE the Buck 110. I also like belt sheaths. Big lover of spears, too. And lambsfoot, of course. My big three.
Thank you Gary. I plead ignorance. I’m not sure what the wood is, but I like it.:) Forgive me for saying this, but as former, primarily from the tactical side of the fence kind of guy, that 110 is gorgeous. I love that Clip.
Thanks for the comments, Vince and Harvey. :thumbsup::cool: Vince, I'm impressed that you can remember my random musings about "improved" mini trappers! ;):thumbsup: So many of our preferences about knives are just matters of personal taste. :cool::)

I can understand that, there's many blade shapes I don't like.
I'm betting the scratches are there because the early 110's with their 440c blades and thicker edge grinds were known to be a bit of a task to sharpen compared to the thin carbon blades people were used to.

Buck will give this knife a nice spa treatment for $7 if you ever wanted to return it to him in a refreshened condition as a gift.
Thanks for the info! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Sunday carry.

As you might expect, I find that knife to be of highest quality, Dean!! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gary you should read your emails before deleting them! :eek: :D

We’re back home from our trip so I’ve switched to a 1974 Case 6207 Red Bone Jack and one of my favorite TC Barlow’s for the rest of the evening! :D

35243003104_9387326800_b_d.jpg
Good advice, Ron; deleting emails, then trying to read them just hasn't been working out for me! :rolleyes::p
What a ravishing red/black combo to welcome you home! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Back